mtbr dismember

My favorite Tahoe ride

It's been pretty cold in Tahoe lately and the riding season for me up there could end at any time. So I posted on mtbr asking for someone to join me on my favorite ride, Mt. Rose down Van Sickle. Rollinrob agreed to join me. Based on my last two Tahoe rides I expected some pretty cold temperatures at the 8,700 ft. start, but it was a balmy 50 degrees. Rob had only ridden a small portion of these trails and I love introducing people to my favorite riding spots. Rob has an amazing story, losing 60 pounds in the last year, and he is very enthusiastic and fun to ride with. Given the short day length and knowing how long this ride could take with photo stops, I was a bit bossy at times. However, we finished just after sunset and my GPS went into night mode. So the occasional prodding paid off.

We took the harder route, up the Tahoe Rim Trail above Marlette Lake. The first three miles of the five mile Kingsbury climb went very well for me, but the last two seemed especially difficult. However, the next seven miles to Kingsbury is probably the finest trail I've ever ridden. Rob really enjoyed it, but he was often so far ahead I couldn't get many photos of him on some of the tougher sections. I had warned him that at about mile 37, the final one mile climb to the top of Van Sickle was as tough as it gets. And it was.

The temperatures were nearly perfect the entire ride, but at the top of Van Sickle it was 44 degrees and after nine hours of riding I started to feel a bit hypothermy-ish. We stopped to put on our jackets and it warmed a good bit as we approached the bottom of the trail. At about mile six I apparently bumped and stopped the GPS, so I lost about two miles. More photos on my photo site.

Is he having fun?

The setting sun was in our faces a lot on the way down.

There goes the sun.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 10-27-2013 at 02:33 PM.

I like pie.
    One of my favorite Tahoe area rides. But I tend to do it as a loop, starting at Spooner Lake-to Marlette the Flume section, then up to the Rim to that view above Marlette, with Tahoe in the background and then back down to Spooner. 27 miles. 3000 feet of elevation gain (according to my old school paper maps).

mtbr dismember

Yuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    ...I tend to do it as a loop, starting at Spooner Lake-to Marlette the Flume section, then up to the Rim to that view above Marlette, with Tahoe in the background and then back down to Spooner...
    Yuk, you are doing 9 miles on that boring fire road. Why not do an out and back on the TRT from Mt. Rose? For variety try going down Redhouse, up the new Sunflower hill bypass singletrack, up above Marlette Lake, and then north on the TRT back to Mt. Rose.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Yuk, you are doing 9 miles on that boring fire road. .
    On "fire road" climbs (we call them logging roads or jeep trails in my part of the Sierra) I can be alone with my thoughts as I grind up or bomb down. I like the variety of that loop. Jeep trails, single track--It's all good! Plus if I want to, I can chat with my fellow rider(s) on the uphill sections.

But thanks for the tips. Next time I head to the Tahoe basin I will check out your suggestions.

pin it
    Looks incredibly scenic and diverse. Nice pics Wolfie
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr dismember

Just made it!

Looks like I had good timing. Below is Tahoe this morning.

My favorite Tahoe ride-7bc8a3b7577ecd91884c40876e944cc9.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Lou Reed would have shredded that trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A great ride for sure...we have been out twice, and thanks to your website we were prepared to fully enjoy that ride. Hope to get out there again.