Thread: My Crash Thread

mtbr member

My Crash Thread

Not sure if it belongs in Passion, but it is my Passion that had me Crashin this weekend. I guess everyone has a crash story or ten to tell. Hopefully people can add crashes that you didn't get hurt at all or maybe just a tiny bit and that you feel you are lucky to get away without anything major happening to you. Here's what I did this weekend at Sycamore Canyon Pt Mugu State Park, California.

Said O.K honey let me by….

As I approached what I now call The “Witches Crack”

As if under a spell things begin to get fuzzy and I feel as if I'm frozen in time like in a dream where someone is chasing you and you are running but not getting anywhere.
    I stall and can't seem to escape "If you are not moving forward you are moving sideways”

I fall victim to the Witches Spell (not Photoshop)

I hear the Witch Cackle as she makes my 29er fly far above me.

My wife is aghast with horror.

I dissapear deep into the darkness of the Witches Crack as the evil tree laughs aloud.

My bike lands softly on the opposite bank almost as if into a hay bale.

Although I land on rocks as soon as I hit I instantly know I'm O.K. and instantly give the universal "he's o.k" shout to my wife. My pack makes first impact, then my helmet touches rock. I get up and untangle my bike but notice to handlebars have done a 180, I have to loosen the left shifter and brake to untwist it. I continue on the ride as if nothing happened. Today I clean up my bike a little mud but no structural, mechanical or cosmetic damage. Me a little scrape a little sore a little black & blue. It could have been a whole lot worse.

Hank
    Last edited by DirtyHank; 12-10-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Serenity now!
    Funny! Glad the bike is okay. Oh, and glad you're ok too.
    Duchess of Dab

NeedGod.com
    Thanks for sharing your learning experience!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    As far as a learning experience goes, two things come to mind one is I remember locking out my suspension for a long uphill climb followed by a long fast smooth descent where I reached 36.1mph. Looking back I now remember that my suspension was locked. So when I reached the single track where the crash occurred I was on lock out. I’m not sure how that would affect (you can’t really see) that left hand curve, but it drops sharply, hooks to the left and rises quickly at a steeper angle
    I think how the fall happened was that I got caught with my left crank arm and pedal at its highest point at the exact moment of the stall. I guess for my novice ability I should as a rule of thumb “When you see what appears to be a tricky section with the possibility of falling into or down (like off a cliff, a ravine etc.) walk it the first time. I have walked and ridden this section from the other direction but from this direction there was more uphill involved. I probably needed more speed through the turn than I was comfortable putting into it. Fail!

The thing I feel worst about was how my wife screamed. It sounded like you’d imagine someone would scream if they saw someone about to get hit by a car. I’ll try not to do that again.

Hank
    Last edited by DirtyHank; 12-10-2012 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Worst crash with minor injuries, My wife coming off a raised platform and a teeter totter. She hooked the front wheel into a rut on the exit went up over her bars doing a hand stand on them, turned sides ways and rolled onto her back still clutching the bars white knucled gripping the breaks.

We call it the endo to half summersault twist.

scared the crap out of me.

One of the reason i need to get a cam, it was impressive to watch. Took a few years off my life, but impressive non the less.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Glad you and the bike weathered it without any injuries.

mtbr member
    Thanks Will, I ordered a book on Skills (I'll get back to this post tomorrow) I'm hoping to get more theory. I know practice is where it's at but I think it'll hurt less if I know more.

Hank