Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: my boss sucks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

No good my boss sucks

my boss has been getting on my case at work lately.she even wrote me a letter saying if i dont shape up. i will be fired. ive worked for her 8.5 years. my union rep says not to worry.thank god for my bikes! riding is keeping me sane. i figure if i do lose my job, i will enjoy unemplyment for a bit and riding all i want b4 i get a new job.jusr saying thanks for my bikes for helping me cope with this bs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What did you do or not do to get such a letter?

Tossin the salad.
    Receiving a letter IMHO as a heads up is better than not expecting and getting the middle finger from your boss.

Best advice, work harder @ your job or go ride your bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Are you working to get fired or working to keep your job? Would you hire you or fire you?
    Only reason I ask is that my hubby is going through a craptastic time right now with depression and life in general. His therapist asked him that question and he honestly did not have answer for it. Some bosses suck and some bosses just read between the effort lines.
    Don't let somebody decide for you. Either try harder or leave, don't be a victim.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeesrider View Post
    . my union rep says not to worry.thank god for my bikes! riding is keeping me sane. i figure if i do lose my job, i will enjoy unemplyment for a bit and riding all i want b4 i get a new job..
    uhh... I may have found part of the problem.

Why not get a new job if you hate yours so much?

my boss has been getting on my case at work lately.she even wrote me a letter saying if i dont shape up. i will be fired. ive worked for her 8.5 years. my union rep says not to worry.thank god for my bikes! riding is keeping me sane. i figure if i do lose my job, i will enjoy unemplyment for a bit and riding all i want b4 i get a new job.jusr saying thanks for my bikes for helping me cope with this bs.
    Other side of the coin here. I had to fire one of my employees last week. Every disciplinary meeting with him this year involved the man trying to convince me he had done nothing wrong. Dude had been given two final write ups in the last 6 months yet acted like we were the ones screwing him over. Zero accountability for his own failures, to the point of the termination taking him completely by surprise.

You say you have a union rep. I have worked in a union shop or two. As long as you clock in on time, dont call in sick, and dont sleep on the job you almost have to try to get fired. I suspect there is more to this story than "your boss sucks".

P.S. If you are fired for just cause, they can deny unemployment.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Don't rely on the union. They'll only help if it serves them... but not necessarily you.

Fired gay Ohio teacher: Union won't back complaint
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    My boss is a mountain biker so he completely understands. Every Tuesdays, I set up a lunch meeting with one of my accounts and we hit the trail as soon as we are done.

When he calls me to see how things are going, we talk business for 5 minutes and mountain bikes for another 15 minutes.

It's not unusual for me to shoot him a picture of me on the trail during work hours. He always just says "I hate you". We are in Medical Sales so as long as my numbers are there, he could care less what I am doing. Since he is the boss, he is stuck in a building most of the time.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter View Post
    Receiving a letter IMHO as a heads up is better than not expecting and getting the middle finger from your boss.

Best advice, work harder @ your job
    Agreed! These young kids these days think their sh*t don’t stink and somehow that means they can just slack off. Us old guys would love to have your job, and be more productive at it. And I’d probably have a better chance of bangin’ your female boss!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

NONDURO
    Duplicate post. Some sort of strange space-time continuum upset, I think.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    There is one absolute truth about work unless you're one of that small minority of folks that steer their own course down the river of life. If you're one of the rest of us that floats with the current frantically avoiding the rocks, WORK SUCKS.

A retired guy. The best job EVER.

Yappy little dog!
    Companies don't fire people. People fire people.

Something I was taught a long time ago. I've had to let one employee go in my 25 years of management. The Company loved him, but he was very disrespectful to a few people including myself. That undermined the team.

I don't know your situation, but your boss is the one who has issues with you. Why not try clearing the air instead of being disgruntled?

No Job + No Money = No Bikes

It's also much harder to find a new job if you've been fired, then if you quit. When I hire someone I do a reference check, which includes calling your former employer. They may not go into detail but they will confirm if you have been fired, layed-off. or quit. Fired sends off a major red flag.

mtbr member
    I am also on the other side and I can tell you this is a warning.

If you are getting a warning letter and no performance improvement plan then they are simply following theirs rules before dumping you. This way they can say they warned you.

And your union rep is only interested in preserving your dues paid into the union.

How about the rest of the story?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'll say it. Quit being lazy and get a job you like working with people you like and who appreciate what you bring to the game. Lateral moves, dawg–nawtamean? The problem is you, not your boss, and your union can't fix that. Cheers...

mtbr member
    Nothing like fu C king off at work, getting fired and surfing a wave of taxpayer dollars.

F you, work harder. Tool.
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im not a tool. i work damn hard.i dont want to be on welfare, i like work. my boss is just a pain in the ass. why are so judgemental about someone you dont even know goldencalf.for all i know you are a poseur and dont even ride a bike.self righteous pricks piss me off!

mtbr member
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A few things, from my experience both as an employee for many years and now as a business owner:

--Move far away from union jobs, and don't associate with unions when it comes to employment if at all possible. If you want a cursory glance at the deleterious effects of unions, look at what they did to Detroit (among other areas/industries). Union stronghold states like Penn, Ohio, Michigan, etc. have been slowly dying for years, while non-union states like Texas, Virginia, Colorado, etc. continue to boom while leading the nation in new industries and job creation

--Unless you're self employed, you're going to have to work with and under people you don't like. That's just the facts of life and there is no avoiding it. Being bitter and angry at your boss isn't their fault; its yours

--Speaking of self employment, find your passion and go into business for yourself, instead of relying on others. If you think you're talented, a hard worker, smart, etc., then you have no business working for others. Start your own gig, then you'll have peace of mind that nobody will fire you if, say, you take off a bit early to go ride or what not. With that said, being self employed takes a lot of hard work and dedication. 50 hour workweeks will become the exception, not the norm (try 60-70+), and you'll quickly scoff at those who only work 40 hours a week.

--Finally, be thankful you have a job. I know a lot of hardworking, talented people out there who would love to be employed right now, and couldn't care less if the boss is a jerk or not. Just keep that in mind the next time you think you have it so rough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    What did you do or not do to get such a letter?
    You still haven't answered this question. Generally, employees don't get these letters for the heck of it. Not even if the Boss just simply hates you. The last thing a Boss wants is to lose their job for unjustifiable harassment or firing of an employee. There is a reason you were warned.

im not a tool. i work damn hard.i dont want to be on welfare, i like work. my boss is just a pain in the ass.
    Wait. You're version of "work damn hard" might be different than mine, or goldencalf's, or your boss'. If i was counceled on my performance as unsatisfactory, last thing i would think about is collecting unemployment and going bike riding on the taxpayers dime. goldencalf wasn't being judgmental, these were your words-

i figure if i do lose my job, i will enjoy unemplyment for a bit and riding all i want b4 i get a new job.
    If i was fired, the last thing i would think of is going bike riding. I would be spending ALL of my effort in getting a new job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    You still haven't answered this question. Generally, employees don't get these letters for the heck of it. Not even if the Boss just simply hates you. The last thing a Boss wants is to lose their job for unjustifiable harassment or firing of an employee. There is a reason you were warned.
    And bosses don't typically just fire good employees who "work damn hard," either. To the contrary, bosses tend to want to keep those types around ...

I bet you didn't get to play because the coach didn't like you, and you got bad grades because the teachers hated you, and you got that speeding ticket for no reason other than the cop didn't like the way you looked ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Diggity Dog
    Some bosses do suck ... unless you're the boss of course.

Seems to be a lot of bosses around here.

Sorry about the ad or blank screen previous to the video. It was the only "censored" version I could find. Have to follow the rules dontchaknow. An uncensored version is available on youtube if interested.

Desert RAT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    And bosses don't typically just fire good employees who "work damn hard," either. To the contrary, bosses tend to want to keep those types around ...

I bet you didn't get to play because the coach didn't like you, and you got bad grades because the teachers hated you, and you got that speeding ticket for no reason other than the cop didn't like the way you looked ...
    This is exactly what I was thinking....

undercover brother
    Getting fired from a Union shop is pretty hard. I work on the management/technical side and we fire very few people from the plant floor. Its either they failed a drug test, which they were tested because they were involved in an accident of some sort, or they have multiple poor performance warnings with no improvement. Its pretty damn hard to get fired in a Union...

I just entered the workforce out of school about 2 years ago, so take what I have to say with that in mind, but the biggest problem with people is that they do not appreciate the fact that they have a job, and can choose to stay at that job. Either show up and do your job right, or find another job. Nothing pisses me off more than when someone is shitty at their job because they don't care. Whether thats flipping burgers or making financial decisions as a CEO, have some pride in what you do, it brings you and/or people who depend on you security and happiness. Some people would kill just to have a job. Every year more and more of my college friends graduate with >50k in student loans and cannot find work. They would probably kill for your job if they could get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im not blaming anyone but myself. im no slacker.l ive had jobs since i was a boy of 12. i phrased my answer wrong. or maybeyou misunderstood me. a'bit" is a 3 or 4 days,to mentally focus on finding a new job.then i would do whatever it takes to get a new one.by"damn Hard" i mean i work just as haredc or harder than other people at work. i will do extra work when i needed,and even when not.its just what everyone is not understanding is that my boss is riding me hard lately.(no pun intended) she is picking on me and 5 other people at my job who i know are hard workers too. she's 81 yrs old,and has problems with her family, and she might be taking it out on people.i dont know. she can be nice on e minute,then act like a pitbull the next.maybe bipolar? again, im not blaming anyone but myself. i will be working for at least another 3o to 40 yrs. being a slacker is not me.my e3x is on welfare and i dont want to end up like her.not working would drive me nuts.i wish everyone here would stop jumping on people when they think faster then they type and what they want to0 say comes outwrong.but since you all think you are better than me,c'es la vie

mtbr member
    i phrased my answer wrong.
    This is about the only portion of that response that i could understand. Why, exactly, did you recieve a letter? Did it simply state, "Work harder or you'll be fired."? How about looking for another job now BEFORE you are needing to collect unemployment?

You're boss has to have a justifiable reason to document threats about you losing your job. If she doesn't, the Union would not simply say, "don't worry about it." The Union would file a grievance and she would have to prove her case. Union actions never look good on a boss's performance records. If you know 5 other ppl in the same boat as you, thats 6 grievances that the Union could use as pressure on her supervisors to take notice of these actions.

Then again, if the warnings are justified, then you are here complaining about a situation you completely deserve. You don't want to admit what your actions were that initiated the warning and that seems like a touch of guilt to me. But, whatever. Work hard, be lazy, fight for your rights, or be bullied is all up to you. Just don't expect to collect tax payer dollars when your work has just cause to fire you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast