mtbr dismember

My best biking accomplishment

I routinely ride 50 miles or more (slowly), and with a lot of climbing. But there is something about Arizona desert riding that seems much more difficult. A few weeks ago my attempt to ride 50 miles on the Black Canyon Trail was thwarted by a blown sidewall. Earlier this week (3/17) I went back to try again. However, the last ride was done as a point to point shuttle, from the north, and it had a large net loss in elevation. Since I had no shuttle this time I did an out and back ride north from the Black Canyon City (BCC) trailhead, which involved much more climbing. The problem with out and back rides is that you often feel great going out and it is easy to "bite off more than you can chew", by going out too far. This is especially true in the desert this time of year because it can be really cool in the morning, which it was, but quickly warm up to dangerously high temperatures by the end of the day. So I did not go out exactly 25 miles before turning around. If the temperature was OK on the return I would then do an out and back south from the BCC trailhead to make up 50 miles.

Going north was slower than I anticipated, due to the net elevation gain, and the fact I lost the trail several times after crossing dirt roads. So I turned around at mile 23. As I had discovered on my last ride, the trail back to BCC is one of the most fun I've ever ridden, and I reached the junction to the BCC trailhead at 44 miles feeling quite fresh. So I had to do an out and back south to bring the ride up to 50 miles. However, going south from BCC is much more difficult than going north. The trail is more rugged, and there is a lot more steep climbing. So the most difficult part of the ride came at the end. But I just kept plugging along at my tortoise pace and I finished in just under 12 hours, feeling pretty good. I feel this is one of my best ever biking accomplishments, especially considering my knees only had one, rather than the obligatory 2-3 days rest between rides, and I was riding solo in some pretty rough territory.

mtbr member
    Great pics, as usual. Thanks for sharing.

It's about showing up.
    How did you manage water?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr dismember

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    How did you manage water?
    No problem. I carried 164 oz and drank about 100 oz. 114 oz. Edit, just checked my bladder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You sir, are a tortoise indeed. 100 oz is not nearly enough to stay hydrated (for the average human being) over the course of 12 hours with constant exertion in 80+ degree weather and little to no shade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Great pictures! I would love to ride in AZ. Wish I'd have picked up mtn biking when we were out there in 2008. We came to Tempe to see UGA take on Arizona State. Arizona is an awesome state. I can't imagine how awesome it would be to ride all over the state, from Grand Canyon to Sedona to Tucson to Tombstone. It all looked fun, and completely different from the mountainous wooded xc trails here in GA.

mtbr member
    Looks nice! Wish I could have participated.

On the Picketpost ride I brought a 100 oz. camelbak, a 28 oz. bottle, a 24 oz. bottle, and two 16 oz. bottles. I ended with about 8 oz. in my 24 oz. bottle.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Beautiful terrain...Good job!
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have never ridden 50 miles in 1 day; is 12 hours typical for that distance?

mtbr dismember

Depends on many factors

Quote Originally Posted by oilnewby View Post
    I have never ridden 50 miles in 1 day; is 12 hours typical for that distance?
    Depends on many factors. Below ride is longer and with more climbing, but four hours shorter.

Dirt, Sweat and Gears
    Great pictures and looks like an awesome ride. I need to get up that way soon!
    Noob on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7
    Dirt, Sweat and Gears - my new outdoors blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for sharing.