mtbr member

The Musings of a Bike Nerd on Percocet

Children, please don't do drugs

I just had my second ACL surgury in 6 months and now i'm on the couch dreaming about bicycles and other fun things. I'm on the good drugs and armed with my laptop, MTBR, and Google.

After about 5 hours of solid bicycle-related wandering around the internet, I'm upset.

I know the technology exists, and with the proper budget and integration it would be possible, so WHY oh why has nobody created my perfect mountain bike yet?

Here's what I want:

-Dual Suspension-dual crown, non-flexy, nicely shimmed moto-style internals that actually put hydraulics to work.

-Frame- I don't care what it's made from. Steel, Ti, Carbon, Lincoln Logs, whatever as long as it's smooth and not too flexy. Thru Axles everywhere, front back and in between, top bottom and all around. Thru axles on thru axles. Thru axles where there are no axles, and then a thru axle on top of that thru axle, just so there's another thru axle. No QR's. Threaded bottom bracket. Can I get an amen!? Good sealed bearings that are easy to replace....no slop, no binding. Replaceable, but solid dropout.

-Internal gear hub. I want one that works and is durable....and electronic ready (more on that later). No derailleurs, no floppy chains, no broken clutches, no bent hangers.

-Wheel Size-Who cares. Make them for all wheel sizes. But secretly, I want a true in-between 28ish wheel.

Now here's where the magic happens:

I want a CTD BIKE. Not a CTD fork, shock, seatpost, wallet, or ego....and I don't need individual levers and switches for everything.

My handlebars should have these 4 things on them:

Front hydraulic brake. Rear Hydraulic Brake. "CTD" switch on left. Gear switch on right.

The switches are electronic. They are sealed like an old Cannondale 440 starter button. When I push the CTD switch to any of the levels, my fork, shock, and seatpost all adjust electronically....both the length and damping. These preset levels can be defined almost infinitely by a similar process to EFI tuning. The gear switch obviously changes gears...I haven't decided yet but I think I would like it to be more of a dial than a button for quick changes.

At first glance, the bike should look and perform like a single speed. Every convenience should be delivered by a system that is elegantly simple and reliable.

I sure hope we get here soon. Discuss.

neeeds donation$ for bike
    hell ya.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

Big Mac

Kids, don't post when yours high.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Sounds more like psilocybin than Percocet.

mtbr member
    So your saying this 50lbs bike of yours would be perfect?

mtbr member

No dropper post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a a r o n View Post
    When I push the CTD switch to any of the levels, my fork, shock, and seatpost all adjust electronically....
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    No dropper post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think he hit that one....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
    So your saying this 50lbs bike of yours would be perfect?
    I see no reason that this couldn't be accomplished in the 24-27 lb range....or less.

mtbr member
    I see no reason that this couldn't be accomplished in the 24-27 lb range....or less.
    So then you saying your good for $500k or so....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I can't imagine two ACL surgeries in 6 months. I had mine a year ago and I'd rather live without an ACL than go through that again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    I can't imagine two ACL surgeries in 6 months. I had mine a year ago and I'd rather live without an ACL than go through that again.
    I've always been obsessed with symmetry. I guess when one side goes, I just had to even the scale.

It really is extremely miserable though and I'll be so relieved when this is all behind me. I'm thankful that I have a great surgeon, a flexible job, and supportive wife or it would be absolute hell. At least I'm still able to afford bike parts to tinker with while I'm down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've always been obsessed with symmetry. I guess when one side goes, I just had to even the scale.

It really is extremely miserable though and I'll be so relieved when this is all behind me. I'm thankful that I have a great surgeon, a flexible job, and supportive wife or it would be absolute hell. At least I'm still able to afford bike parts to tinker with while I'm down.
    Well I hope you have a quick and thorough recovery.

How did you even tear the second within six months of the first surgery? I was still really cautious at that point because my knee didn't feel strong at all.

Also are you sleeping with the immobilizer brace locked straight? MY surgeon made me do that for the first month. I can't decide if that or sitting in the CPM machine for four hours a day was the worst part.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I hope so too.

I actually tore both sides prior to the first surgery. The left went racing dirtbikes, then the right went while rehabbing the left...racing dirtbikes. At that point, it was pick a side and go for it. He wouldn't let me do both at once because "nobody can adjust their lifestyle that much for the rehab". Looking back, I think he was probably right.

He is a pretty conservative surgeon so he's got me taking all the precautions. The brace is not supposed to come off except to shower and use the CPM machine. I'll admit though, there have been some times at night that it is so painful that I'll pull the brace off and let it go. The machine doesn't bother me.... it's after the fact that ruins everything. My knee itself (in both cases) feels relatively fine and certainly manageable. What keeps me up at night is the hip pain and lower back oddities that are presumably caused by the machine and change in how I move overall on crutches. That pain is unbearable. Last time it only lasted a couple weeks though, so if I can get to the 2-3 week mark on this thing, then I'll feel like there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

blet drive
    Get well soon. Spot bikes did a bike at one point that started to meet your needs but I don't think it ever hit production. And lenz makes the milk money that is along those lines to.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Gimme free stuff
    Add in a motor and you have your dirtbike right there
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Kona Process 134DL
    Misfit DiSSent 29er [FOR SALE]
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

Airborne Flight Crew
    That's a bike actually worth $10k.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

MIA
    Feb 2005
    Seems you may be forgetting several pound of batteries and a camelback full of spares.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yikes!

Percocet = no pooping

I'd rather skip the percocet.

Why not let the bike decide when to shift based on torque and rpm. And if your wishing for things, why not go cvt instead of discreet gears. You'll still need some sort of chain tensioning system unless you're putting your pivot right at the bottom bracket. Same with the CTD - add a scanning mechanism to the front of the bike that maps the upcoming topography and adjusts your damping appropriately based on speed.

mtbr member
    I know where your coming from. I am getting my 3rd acl and 4th surgery on my left knee on Dec 3rd. Over it at this point and guess what, it's from racing dirtbikes too.

I can't wait to drive myself nuts over what bike I'm getting next while high on some percocet.

Here's to joining you soon on the couch

Teen Wolf
    that bike sounds awful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    That's a bike actually worth $10k.
    I think I could actually justify the cost then.... unlike now with what's available.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    Yikes!

Percocet = no pooping

I'd rather skip the percocet.

Why not let the bike decide when to shift based on torque and rpm. And if your wishing for things, why not go cvt instead of discreet gears. You'll still need some sort of chain tensioning system unless you're putting your pivot right at the bottom bracket. Same with the CTD - add a scanning mechanism to the front of the bike that maps the upcoming topography and adjusts your damping appropriately based on speed.
    While I considered a CVT-like drivetrain in my dreams, as well as sensors to determine suspension movement, I ultimately decided that if that's what I wanted, it might as well have a motor on it too to do the pedaling. I think at that point it stops being a bicycle. I really want everything that is currently available, feature wise, I just want it in a SIMPLY controlled and efficient package. I like the idea of having control of everything, but when I decide to make a change, it's universal and affects the whole bike at once. Really, everything I'm asking for is available or partially available already, I just want it all tied up into one neat package that WORKS. I'm demanding when building my non-existent dream bike lol....

Quote Originally Posted by MediumDiesel View Post
    I know where your coming from. I am getting my 3rd acl and 4th surgery on my left knee on Dec 3rd. Over it at this point and guess what, it's from racing dirtbikes too.

I can't wait to drive myself nuts over what bike I'm getting next while high on some percocet.

Here's to joining you soon on the couch

OUCH! ... I guess I could say, I feel your pain.... or at least 50% of it. 4 Surgeries is rough. Being that it's on the same one, have they gone cadaver every time or a mix of different types of replacements?

mtbr member
    The first 2 where achilles cadaver ligaments. I probably injured the second one getting back to racing sooner than I should have. A big mtb crash tore some miniscus and forced surgery. I had number three to fix that and to take out old hardware and grafts and prep my knee for the next acl. Going with a patella cadaver this time. My own Patella tendon isn't a good candidate.