Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

music while out on a solo ride

what kind of music does everyone listen to while riding? i need some new bands to check out or maybe a new genre! I love listening to country and rock while riding not so much rap idk why lol.. any input would be great! thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I have my iPod set on shuffle when I do solo rides.
    All I know is, the faster the song is the faster the crazier I ride.
    On climbs I like faster songs too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It's like the opposite for me. When I am bombin hills the crazy music gets me going!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmike1487 View Post
    what kind of music does everyone listen to while riding? i need some new bands to check out or maybe a new genre!
    i have found alot of new bands both in the genre i like and in others using pandora and last.fm since they will play artists similar to one of your favorites you can enter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    i have found alot of new bands both in the genre i like and in others using pandora and last.fm since they will play artists similar to one of your favorites you can enter.
    +1 for Pandora.

mtbr member
    what kind of music does everyone listen to while riding? i need some new bands to check out or maybe a new genre!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Atlas Genius.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I really don't mean to be "that guy", but I have never understood riding with headphones.

It has nothing to do with hearing nature, being a spiritual experience (as some feel), or anything of that sort...but it has to do with safety of you and others. Can you hear people that want to pass? Can you hear someone yelling for help if they went off the trail and are hurt? Things of that sort. I have, personally, run into many problems with riders (and runners) with headphones.

I'm not telling people to not use them...do what you want. I just ask that if you do have headphones on...please don't phase out into your own world. Try to be even more attentive than you usually are.

Vincit qui patitur
    Rammstein, TOOL, Kid Rock, Korn, Static X, Limp Bizkit, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, GAMMA, STP, Genisis, etc.
    It depends on where and what I'm doing.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    I really don't mean to be "that guy", but I have never understood riding with headphones.

It has nothing to do with hearing nature, being a spiritual experience (as some feel), or anything of that sort...but it has to do with safety of you and others. Can you hear people that want to pass? Can you hear someone yelling for help if they went off the trail and are hurt? Things of that sort. I have, personally, run into many problems with riders (and runners) with headphones.

I'm not telling people to not use them...do what you want. I just ask that if you do have headphones on...please don't phase out into your own world. Try to be even more attentive than you usually are.
    I truly feel the same way. I would love to use head phones, but you'll never be that aware of your surroundings if you are.. Or if something is wrong with your bike.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    The Black Angels

The Jezabels

Massive Attack

Mogwai

Morcheeba

Pixies

Placebo

Sleater Kinney

Floater

Steve Earle and Robert Earl Keen

Listen to stuff about half the time when riding solo, never when riding with others.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I've been digging dubstep recently...Swedish House Mafia, Knifeparty, Skrillex, Pendulum

Air Pirate
    For music I play a variety of stuff, as I have a very eclectic taste in music. Over the last year or so I have been listening to stuff from VeloBeats. Free downloads at Soundcloud, VeloBeats is the idea of John Braynard from Wash. DC when he wanted to ride with music that promoted a good spin via rhythm and beat. A lot of his stuff is roadie centric, but he has some great mixes that translate well to mountain biking (has some stuff focused on Cyclocross too). I really like his "Fall Chill Step" and "Fall Chill Step II" mixes. Music style runs through a variety of genres, but there is a lot of dubstep and electronic/club/house. He even made a hip-hop/rap mix. Lately he has had a few guest mixes posted as well.

VeloBeats on Soundcloud

Velobeats website, where you can see which artists are in each mix

As far as using headphones while riding, I have been using a single-sided headphone for the last two years. Both channels are piped through one earbud, allowing for unrestricted hearing out of the other ear. Not an immersive sound experience to be sure, but you would be surprised at how quick you get adapted to listening to music this way. I have been able to hear things going wonky with my bike as well as hear other riders coming up behind me from a distance.

Headphones are sold by Far End Gear. A review is herel.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Andrew
    This is going to be super subjective per listener, but I like alternative rock/nu metal and rap. Lostprophets, Atreyu (old), and Mac Miller are what's typically on my playlist. Do have some chill music too such as Statistics, and Crystal Method.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I don't ride with headphones, but music that is moving me lately:

Matisyahu

Mumford and Sons

Eddie Vedder

Pearl Jam

Kings of Leon

+1 for Pandora, it has introduced me to some great music that is similar to what I already like!

frog

No Stranger to danger....
    I like the music of my own thoughts, the riding experience, and whats going on around me, thats plenty enough music for me....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    what kind of music does everyone listen to while riding? i need some new bands to check out or maybe a new genre! I love listening to country and rock while riding not so much rap idk why lol.. any input would be great! thanks in advance!
    Just the rhythm of the ride and the melody in my mind.

Nothing else--ever.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't always ride with headphones cause I like the music of my tires on dirt more but... Lately I've using some ironman yurbuds and its amazing how much ambient noise you can still hear while riding like equestrian traffic,trail runners, and traffic.

I eat cats
    I agree with both music and non-music folks in regards to riding. Depends on the trail and mood for me. I don't listen to music at all during the heavy rattlesnake months/weather, especially if I'm hiking. If I do listen to music I find myself listening to a lot of punk, not new stuff but old school punk and 90's punk like Adolescents, Bad Religion, NOFX, Vandals, Millincollin, Pennywise, 88 Fingers Louie, Lagwagon, etc. Oh, I also throw some Primus in for some randomness..
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Slayer

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mudvayne, bullet for my valentine, lamb of god, etc. etc. mostly a heavy rock / metal mixture.

mtbr member
    I listen to music when I run, can always go longer with tunes, but when on my bike not being able to hear my surroundings makes me uncomfortable, I guess because Im moving faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Pandora and or sirius on my Cell phone+bluetooth headphones(no wires) =the only way to ride ... Nothing better then out in nature, hammering while listening to some good music... Then come home-- enjoy a beer and a slice of pizza.. THAT is a gooood liven..

mtbr member
    I would love to try listening to some music but I live and ride in a very rural area and have often come upon or been advanced upon by people out in the wild. Nothing ever troublesome so far but I just would not feel save not being able to hear some one approaching or hear some one screaming for help.

Though if I did listen it would be Eric C. or The Black Crows.

ouch....
    Speakerphone in backpack.loud enough to hear, but get 5' away and doesn't bother anyone else. Slacker radio much better than pandora.
    Or winamp and shuffle my music.
    Riding.....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast