Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Agree

Of course if they are in another world because they have their headphones in and get startled, then it is their own fault. However, it is annoying as hell to the person who wants to pass them and can't because they can't hear to get out of the way when you are politely trying to pass.
    There's a solution to every problem... lol

I haven't been listening to headphones when riding for the same reason as many. I would prefer to hear my surroundings for whatever reason.
    When jogging though my playlist is mostly old school hard rock like Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, and Sabbath, with some semi-newer stuff like System of a Down and Drowning Pool. And I have a few select rap songs in as well. Anything with a strong, fast rhythme to keep me pumped.

I <3 NM
    If it's a long grueling climbfest, then I listen to the Die Antwoord channel on Pandora:

'I FINK U FREEKY' by DIE ANTWOORD (Official) - YouTube
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    That is better than the majority of people who use noise cancelling headphones but I would guess some things are still missed.(Not that I am criticizing the way you ride.)
    None taken. The bone conduction headphones took some getting used to. Seems like the sound/music is coming from your head and yet still hear everything around me. Felt completely wierd. Turn it too loud and the pads start vibrating on your skin - feels irritiating/annoying, and everyone around you can hear the headphones at that point.

I listen to whatever depending on how I feel - AC/DC, Italian Opera, Led Zep, 5FDP, Vai/Satriani, Floyd, Daft Punk, Deathklok, U2, new stuff, old 70's rock, 80's crap.... blah blah... just to take my mind off how unfit I am and keep myself pedaling. LOL.

-S

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Peter Paul and Mary
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmike1487 View Post
    what kind of music does everyone listen to while riding? i need some new bands to check out or maybe a new genre! I love listening to country and rock while riding not so much rap idk why lol.. any input would be great! thanks in advance!
    was joking about PPandM (sort of)

I like tunes when I ride solo, I stay away from rap and rock while riding though, I do listen to hip hop most of the time off the bike.

On the bike I prefer

Mofro
    Eric Lindell
    Eric Clapton
    Bob Dylan
    Bob Marley

and for the DH
    Jazz Mafia
    and PP&M ;
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Smartphone mounted on stem with pandora playing just loud enough for me to just hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Interesting...I'd say that's a decent compromise for the people that need music and the people that think like me. Without knowing any more than the webpage that you linked...I'd like to approve (as if my approval means anything more than squat).

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I use these:
    AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Bone Conduction Sport Headphones. The Ultimate Sport Headphone that connects to most smart phones, including the iPhone.

I get my music and can hear everything around me at the same time. Great when you can also hear traffic while cycling to/from the trail.

-S

XXIX
    So should def people be band from mountain biking or blind people? If I can hear your chain slapping I think my headphones are ok.
    Dropkick Murphys, Killigans , Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Drednoughts, everything 80's Punk.

I <3 NM
    I mainly listen to to music to drown out my labored gasping.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Lately I've been getting into Bob Mould's post Husker Du career, Sugar and solo stuff but some of it isn't that great for riding so I leave it off the playlist.
    Newish rock-
    Dead Weather
    Tame Impala
    Tuneyards (no, I'm not going to use the crazy capitalization)

Newish rap-
    JJ Doom
    Das Racist- this is probably my favorite riding music right now

I actually don't like anything too fast for riding, for running it's fine. The stuff that's always good-
    Primal Scream
    Pixies
    The Cult
    Fugazi
    Built to Spill (the more upbeat stuff)
    Beastie Boys of course

On road rides I really like listening to podcasts, the Slate ones are good and I like a couple of the non-serious NPR one too. One of my favorites is 99% Invisible, it's not about what you think it is, it is generally about design but he covers several topics.

To those who respond with snide comments about not riding with music, save it. Many of us ride responsibly with music and it's disrespectful to the OP. As others have pointed out, there are many ways to listen to music while riding safely and responsibly. I prefer riding with one earbud, I just bought a Short Bud from Far End Gear and it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anything metal, heavy, thrash,speed death and what ever else they class as metal. If its fast and pounding great, makes me shred single track, for some reason I corner better with tunes.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Here's some "cyclist math-rock" / "no-wheels noise rock"

Vélooo "Même pas mal" | A Tant Rêver Du Roi Records

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Spotify radio = better that pandora imho

Had a guy go off on me @ the local trails, it took him a few seconds to get my attention(so he could pass)instead of instantly, yes, because I had headphones on. I told him this is a state park for us all to enjoy, not a race. I have had people take their good ole time to let me pass that didn't have headphones on, so whatever..

thinking about putting a rearview mirror on my handlebars tho..
    Last edited by IntenseSense; 11-25-2012 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like that idea

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My playlist is mainly electronic in nature. Drum n' Bass is really good for the riding and some dubstep too. I have a few acoustic or rock songs in there too.

I made the mistake of starting out listening to music while riding so, as crazy and it sounds, it feels weird to not listen while on the bike. That being said though, I'm trying to phase myself off of it for safety's sake by just listening with one ear bud in. On my local trail which is pretty low traffic I listen with both in but my music is quite and the main thing I'm listening for is the stats my phone reads off to me every mile.

mtbr member
    I love to listen to dubstep, house, and trance while I ride.

Dubstep:
    Excision Shambhala - any year especially this year's release
    Never Say Die Series - NEVER SAY DIE RECORDS - Mixes

Trance:
    A State of Trance with Armin Van Buuren
    Around the World with Above and Beyond

House:
    Essential Mix from BBC Radio 1
    Essential Selection from BBC Radio 1
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratefly View Post
    I've been digging dubstep recently...Swedish House Mafia, Knifeparty, Skrillex, Pendulum
    what he said.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    pure electronic.

Cormac
    i listen to sort of instrumental electronic music. stuff like gramatik and maybe some chiller dubstep. I throw some reggae on there too.

I have

Little people
    Gramatik
    Rusko
    Bonobo
    Ronald Jenkees
    Break Science
    paper diamond

and thats about it.

I have a small ihome speaker that looks like an acordion. Earbuds arent too safe, and I hate being unable to hear.

heres a nice climbing song its fun in races to have music on the speaker for everyone to enjoy.

'11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    I just bought a BoomBotix Boombot 2 to use with my Motoactv and I like it so far. I use it at a very low volume as to not disturb anyone else and also so I can still hear my surroundings. The best of both worlds.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    I really don't mean to be "that guy", but I have never understood riding with headphones.

It has nothing to do with hearing nature, being a spiritual experience (as some feel), or anything of that sort...but it has to do with safety of you and others. Can you hear people that want to pass? Can you hear someone yelling for help if they went off the trail and are hurt? Things of that sort. I have, personally, run into many problems with riders (and runners) with headphones.

I'm not telling people to not use them...do what you want. I just ask that if you do have headphones on...please don't phase out into your own world. Try to be even more attentive than you usually are.
    It's really not that difficult! O-tus Safe Sounds. You can hear your music and everything around you. I use them and they're great. if I'm riding with friends I leave them at home. However a 2-3 hour solo training rides and riding solo the majority of the time is made much better with music. With these helmet speakers you can hear the music and everything around you. something else that's also key -- I've used them when riding with friends a time or two and my friends have never been able to hear my music--even when listening for it. Neat product (and NO I don't work for them)

O-tus Safe Sounds Helmet Speakers

I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For those tough rides, or to get pumped up, Ima have to Say Rage Against the Machine

mtbr member
    I cant say i enjoy listening to music on single track, i like to ride because its quiet and i can just hear and observe nature (and i like being able to hear the chirp of my breaks the dirt under my wheels). how ever for the 45min to 2 hours to the top of the trail system up the logging roads it helps keep my timing and clears my head. I much rather be Bs'ing with random people that i come across, but when no ones around ninja tunes compilations are great random shuffles with some good beats.

But i mean honestly the only real answer is skinny puppy, its appropriate for any situation. =p
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Madball, Sick of it All, the first Wutang record, The Pogues, Motorhead.

Team Livemedium
    grateful dead, phish, phil and friends, widespread panic
    mostly live shows
    (hippy rollers unite!)
    soundgarden johnny cash slayer ween and whatever too

as for music haters on the trail... until you all get bells and ding ding around blind corners
    like I do, pipe down. it is possible to keep the music low enough to hear trail and bike sounds. Seriously though I think every rider needs to use a bell. It helps fellow trail users know you are coming. (unless they have earphones in) ((paradox alert))
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast