Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have my iPod set on shuffle. One minute I'm chilling out to Jack Johnson, at one with nature, taking in the scenery, serene and at peace with the world. Next thing you know I'm listening to Rage Against the Machine!!! Angry at the world, grinding up climbs, shredding downhills, powering through the turns! LOL

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grega View Post
    I'm not much for headphones either. That's why I carry one of these:

Attachment 795730

It's pretty rad because you can just carry a couple extra tapes and listen all day long!
    Awesome!!!

Which shoulder do you mount it on? I hold mine with my right arm mounted on my right shoulder. It can get a little tricky steering with just one arm on the handlebar when the terrain gets a little more technical but worth it for the awesome sounds and associated street/trail cred!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I change songs too much to listen. If i am at the base of a long hill and i get a song i don't want to listen to it breaks my concentration...so i don't bother.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just made a playlist for this weekend, the list of the artists (songs are numerous):

Infected Mushroom
    Agonoize
    Skrillex
    Disturbed
    Limp Bizkit
    Kid Rock
    Crazy Town
    Dethklok
    Oddsprite
    Grendel
    Lords of Acid
    Cake
    Prodigy
    Combichrist
    KMFMD
    POD
    VNV Nation
    Korn
    Rammstein
    Rod Zombie
    Eisenfunk

Odd tastes of music, I know :\

Some others on the ipod include Vanessa Mae, Bach, and Mozart :P

mtbr member
    Black Keys
    Dave Matthews Band
    Incubus
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Some Linkin Park, some Blink 182 (depending on the mood)

Typically stay in the rock genre. Rap doesnt do it for me on the trail.
    RIDE GIANTS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Kiwi.. I assume you the reason you use your right is because you're on the other side of the world. Up here it's on the left... otherwise breaking is pretty tricky.,

I think all the chicks dig it too because they're always staring at me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i dont do it much anymore. i think i'm getting paranoid about hearing noises around me. i once had earbuds in, and stopped to look around, then turned around and a stranger (another rider) was RIGHT behind me! i screamed at him (surprised). Anyway, i just hit random on my ipod. the great part is, when the RIGHT song comes on when you're flowing on singletrack. Picture music that follows the trail, if that makes sense.

btw, Queens of the stone age, Rage Against the Machine, Porcupine Tree, Tool, few scattered hip hop songs, but mostly 90's rock/grunge fills the ol' pod.
    I'm the same way NicoleB; check these out, as they're perfect for bike-riding:

AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Bone Conduction Sport Headphones. The Ultimate Sport Headphone that connects to most smart phones, including the iPhone.

Master Shredder
    If I want some serious motivation I listen to Two Steps From Hell. No contest for epicness.

Otherwise I'll usually just listen to some type of electronica, usually trance, dubstep, prog house, or drum n bass.

Pink Floyd and other relaxing stuff can be amazing for slower rides.

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by grega View Post
    Kiwi.. I assume you the reason you use your right is because you're on the other side of the world. Up here it's on the left... otherwise breaking is pretty tricky.,

I think all the chicks dig it too because they're always staring at me.
    Oh yeah the chicks love it. Every ride I get handed phone numbers by hot chicks on the trail. Being a married man of course I just discard the numbers at the end of my ride. The worst was when a bevy of babes began snatching and clutching at my baggies in a frenzied attack. It was all a bit unseemly but luckily being on a 29er I was able to accelerate away and leave them in my wake. Ok I lost one of my spare cassettes from my baggies pocket but other than that I emerged unscathed, beatbox still blaring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I realized very quickly when I started riding that headphones were really unsafe, especially in my area that has a very prominent cycling culture. I pretty much accepted that I would not be listening to music when I ride when I stumbled upon this thread and found these OneGood™ Earphones - Far End Gear™ Products for outdoor enthusiasts - earbuds, earphones, and earbud tips. linked on the first page. I got two different models and they really great thus far. Obviously only listening in one ear the music wont engulf you as much, but the sound quality is good considering and I'm still able to hear everything around me. They make for a pretty good compromise for MTBing and headphones IMO.

ENDO!!!
    For some sustained climbing I like to listen to some Citizen Cope, otherwise, I love the sound of my tires on the trail!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't normally listen to music while I ride. I normally listen to audiobooks. Right now, I'm listening to "the Sea Wolf" by Jack London. I just finished "Dracula". Don't knock it before you try it!!!

mtbr member
    Generally don't listen to music while riding, but when riding @ night I have a thing about listening to Portishead while meandering the black morass

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use Pandora when I ride....I have been on a kick of listening to "Cypress Hill Radio". I really don't care much for rap, at least today's new stuff, but Cypress Hill Radio plays some of the best rap ever made and that stuff has a great beat for some nice flowwwwy single track sessions!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I don't normally listen to music while I ride. I normally listen to audiobooks. Right now, I'm listening to "the Sea Wolf" by Jack London. I just finished "Dracula". Don't knock it before you try it!!!
    My wife likes audiobooks too while we ride, she's been listening to Fifty Shades of Grey...we don't even get 2 miles in before we have to pull off and ditch the riding shorts....

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    +1 for Pandora.
    Every time...and I just picked up some Bluetooth Headphones : Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Sports : Android Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones : iPhone Bluetooth Headphones : iPod Bluetooth Headphones : Jaybirdgear.com They have been great on the trails..never some out of my ears even on the hardest trails..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman2304 View Post
    My wife likes audiobooks too while we ride, she's been listening to Fifty Shades of Grey...we don't even get 2 miles in before we have to pull off and ditch the riding shorts....
    I guess I know what the next book I'm getting for my wife!!

mtbr member

Re: music while out on a solo ride

Google music just announced their pandora-like spotify-like radio option so now in addition to music I own, can stream and find new artists as well as I did with Pandora (never used spotify much).

More options are great.
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

Cow Clicker
    I listen to podcasts like Dave Ramsey, 99% Invisible, Snap Judgement and others.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123