Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

"Murdering out" your bike Passion

24K views 99 replies 57 participants last post by  Huskywolf 
#1 ·
What does the phrase "murder out" mean to you? I have some friends who use that term a lot when discussing mtn-bike parts. I just got some Stans ZTR Flow rims and my buddy said I should take all the stickers off to "murder it out".

What part of your bike have YOU murdered?

#38 ·
i think an all matte black bike (or car or anything else) can look really good if it's done tastefully.

for that matter, an all olive drab MTB/flat black accents bike would be a pretty cool look as well.

this coming from a man who rides a bright blue bike sporting neon yellow brake levers that could be spotted on a moonless night a mile and a half away...

#53 · (Edited)
Did my trials rig this week!!!

Orig Frame paint- had to go before I even rode the damn thing.

Went from stock to blue, which I did in the middle of winter and with many beers, so naturally it came out like total shiite.

And got tired of the blue, so I needed a night time urban ninja security guard avoiding machine. Wanted to pin stripe with neon green, but its a trials bike. Ive already managed to scratch the new paint, and imagine I will break this frame in a couple more months. I am currently on my 3rd frame in 2 years.

Sweat stains on the bars that I should clean off at some point.

#59 ·
there are "mostly black bikes" and there are "murdered out" ones. rarely do you see a murdered out bike fully done the right way = 100%. when you do, it is actually fairly unique and a complete pita to complete! it will stand out as unique even though you think you have seen a bunch of them already.

fyi...they make black ano chains, bolts etc...

#70 ·
I love the contrast with the folks saying that you can murder out a bike by selectively complementing shiny and matte black surfaces compared to lazy folks who bought a black bike that already had black components.

And to the folks who 'selectively' pick out matte vs shiny black components - do you pick brands based on the finish or do you shop based on quality and just end up with the mixed finish look and tell people that it was all on purpose?

#71 ·
I had an almost "murdered out" flat finish bike. Had to add every other spacer red for a hint of color.

For those that think its cool, have no idea of what pita that is. This type of paint have "open pores" you have to be prepared to go an extra mile when working on maintenance ie wrap all tubes because the simple finger natural oils will etch like fire, let alone grease or chain oil.
These stains are quite stubborn and will remain after several washes. I've yet to see a car with an even flat paint coat, usually the only time it looks great is when coming out of the paint booth.
Never again for me. My current city slicker has shiny black paint tho.

#75 ·
Whats with the lack of black stanchion/black lower Marzocchi forks in this thread? Like to color coordinate everything (ie purchase widely available black drivetrain and cockpit components) but you're still allowing gold/silver to be on your fork stanchions?

Not murdered hard enough. Gotta kill it dead to be murdered out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.