Thread: Mud!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Mud!!!

Today was the 20th running of the Triple R here in Tropical Far North Queensland Australia.
    The Triple R is a 44km point to point race that starts on the rural tablelands inland from Port Douglas at about 800 meters elevation, Heads through the rain forest and winds up on the beach in Port Douglas, a resort town famous for its access to the Great Barrier Reef, palm fringed beach, fine dining and all things associated with a tropical holiday.
    The weather had been pretty crap for the week leading up to the race, almost as if the monsoon had come early.
    I was expecting a drenching for the entire 44km but surprisingly the rain held off for the most part but the course was very sloppy in parts - all part of the fun really.
    The course starts resonably flat through gently undulating cattle stations for the first 20km then drops through rain forest for the final leg in to Port Douglas including the legendary "Bump" track, an old bullock track to the tablelands that drops 450 meters in 2000 meters.
    This is where the more technically adept down hill riders make up some lost ground on the XC whippets, I must have picked up 20 places My mate Adrian commented that he was surpised how so many mountain bikers have no idea how to ride fast downhill
    For the record I raced in the Masters 40-49 age group, did the ride in 2 hrs 15 minutes [Over all winner did it in 1hr 30min], Results are yet to come in but out of the 57 blokes in my class I would like to think I would have placed about midway
    400 riders, $23,000 in prizes including 3 $5k bikes made for a great day.

looks like I have a bit of scrubbing and servicing ahead of me!
    And these were taken after I had got home driving 120km through pouring rain!
    I must have been carrying 5 kilos of mud at some times
    Last edited by jeffgre_6163; 10-03-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0