horseman
    Sep 2005

mtnbk real estate?

Would anyone else think that it might be a good idea to identifymtnbkg real estate opportunities in various parts of the planet. Could be organized regionally. But heading up a local, state affiliated, club, active on many "crunchy groups" actively promoting the sustainable shared use trail thing, and being in real estate, I see many oppotunities for private lands, and trail access, to be scooped up by folks w/no interest in becoming /remaining part of the local trail network. How can folks find information about where they have an interest, those properties that the y might consider purchasing and help promote /maintain increased access? I'm not talking about condo' or houses near biking. I'm talking about properties that have part of trail networks on them and are listed for sale. Places w/trail networks where the new owner comes and puts up fences and motion detectors. Now it's for sale too. Yes, I'm in the "business" but an incredibly large portion of my time is spent doing trail work and promoting new opportunities. I hate seeing when old ones are removed thru otherwise "insensitive purchases/purchasers. Wouldn't it be handy a biker friendly person "did their thing" and kept the trails open for evryone, became a part of the community? Well, where's the real estate section on this site?

Nat
    mtbr member
    So what exactly is it you're wanting?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I see many opportunities for private lands, and trail access, to be scooped up by folks w/no interest in becoming /remaining part of the local trail network.
    This is an ongoing problem with Australia's Bicentennial National Trail. Many sections of the trail are on private land. The BNT was originally the National Horse Trail and Memorandums of Understanding were honoured for a long time with the private landowners and the Government Agencies. Nowadays the trail is continually being re-routed because new owners with no historic links to the land have withdrawn access and Public Servants who honoured the agreements, have moved or retired. The new Administrators not knowing the history of the trail or the past rural life of this country, have made serious changes to access and set heavy charges. This has driven by local councils not caring about how their drive for revenue, affects the historic spirit and the continuity of the trail. Also sadly, the short term thinking by the NSW Government selling Crown Lands, lands that were part of the backbone of the BNT (by selling off 1,000,000 hectares of the Travelling Stock Routes) has been terrible.

How can folks find information about where they have an interest, those properties that they might consider purchasing and help promote /maintain increased access? I'm talking about properties that have part of trail networks on them and are listed for sale.
    Concerning the BNT, the BNT Association magazine 'BNT Tracks' advertises some of the properties that come up for sale.

Places w/trail networks where the new owner comes and puts up fences ...
    The BNT changes so often nowadays it is appropriately called a living trail. Sections of the BNT are still part of the working life of rural communities. Still used by drovers, using the Travelling Stock Routes, but the travelling horsemen, we mountain bikers and the bush walkers, have to be happy to live with what we get.

Wouldn't it be handy if a biker friendly person "did their thing" and kept the trails open for everyone, became a part of the community?
    The BNT is certainly part of a few isolated communities, but there are not many long-distance through-travellers. Although the BNT only goes near a couple of service towns and about 8 minor towns (in the 5,300+ kilometres of trail), both the through-travellers and weekenders, still benefit the camping grounds and the small retailers (and local farriers if they are horse people).

With NSW National Parks in the Barrington Tops Region keeping closed access to through-travellers (after purchasing the property 'Caramea') that gave crucial access at one time, west of the Giro Road through the northern Woko Wilderness and then onto Barrington Tops Wilderness, the re-routing here now through Nundle is onto a hundred plus kilometres of tarmac after negotiating extremely narrow and dangerous logging roads in the Riamukka Stare Forest and the Nundle State Forest. This re-routing has annexed some of NSW's most beautifully wild mountain and river country for the long-distance through-travellers. It certainly would help the logistics of travelling and retaining the original spirit of the BNT, not having to put up with these sorts of hassles and changes and property sales into the wrong hands.

If the property Caramea, which was a very small transit (only 100 metres needed to cross the Barnard River) had gone into favourable hands when it was for sale ... the integrity of the wild trail from the Giro State Forest, crossing the Barnard, then along the Curricabark River, then into Barrington State Forest, a truly beautiful part of the Great Dividing Range would have been kept in tact. It is almost to the point now that in NSW the BNT, because of changes and alternate routes, can be ridden on a K-Mart quality road bike or even on a Huffy.

Addressing the decline of the wild trail in New South Wales is a real problem because of the huge number of different agendas ... that's for sure.

Every bit of awareness helps ... but as always, show us your bucks.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-31-2010 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I love what you are trying to get started! Wouldn't imba or a similar organization be a better way to get this started? I would think they would have a larger audience viatheir emails and various publications? It would be great to either have them start that and link to that site or start it here and feed into them. By donating a certain amount to a certain fund, collectively we would have HUGE purchasing power!

horseman
    Sep 2005
    I guess I'm suggesting some kind of regional or area forum location
    where mtnbkrs might be looking or considering a purchase that
    could help preserve a network, add to a network, provide a
    lifestyle opportunity, etc... For me, I can provide info on SE Vt,
    others, other areas in the state, or another state, or another
    region abutting some park, or whatever. I'll try to reach out to
    the IMBA people too. Willing to consider paying like other
    advertisers, or classified if necessary, since that's my profession.
    The idea is still primarily a vehicle to let mtnbkrs know what they
    can consider when they think about incorporating their mtnbk
    passion in a real estate purchase. Buy this and save that. Love
    to have a spot in your favorite Mecca? How about something
    that if it vanishes, or gets purchased by some naysayer, will
    make your same Mecca that much the lesser? Oh yeah, that trail
    used to go thru there but the new folks closed it off. Too bad
    other folks didn't know about it. Endangered real estate forum?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think in Milford MA NEMBA bought some land and now has a decent sized and highly regarded trail system called vietnam. It seems like they did exactly what you are referring to.

mtbr member
    Kingdom Trails in VT is almost entirely on various private lands. Some people there must have put a considerable amount of work into getting all those land owners on board. Might be a good source of advice.

http://www.kingdomtrails.com/

Trail Cubist
    wildskycomet's idea (if I'm understanding it correctly) is basically simple: we want places to ride? We buy the land and own it—period.

I think this is a great concept, because collectively, the MTB community might have a ton of purchasing power. Other nonprofits (most notably The Nature Conservancy) has used this method with great success—don't dick around with landowners...BE the landowner. Buy the land, protect it forever, and say "F you" to everyone else, LOL

It's the American Way!

Of course the devil is in the details...like identifying land...and then convincing enough potential stakeholders that the land is close enough to their backyard to be worth their investment...

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

horseman
    Sep 2005
    It just seems like this site would be a good vehicle to reach someone interested in the parcel(s) that have trails on them. several come to mind. I have seen where a celebrity purchased a 600+ acre parcel w/a network of trails used by horses, bikers, XC skiers, (no motorized), etc...and the stockade fence and motion detectors went up. I am a meber of the Hogback preservation commission and conservation association (my town purchased a 600 acre abandoned ski area) and work to advance sustainable trail design for multi-use and balance the desires of the mtnbk club I lead with those of the preservation and conservation group. Meanwhile, in the center of this property, the former owner has a commercial restaurant operation, several cottages, and several acres for sale, all located at the top of the state route offering more than a 100 mile view. It just kills me that I can't seem to reach a mtnbkg entrepreneur that can recognize the potential of a trail center in the middle of a growing trail network. Wouldn't it be great if MTBR had some section that folks could look at that provided info on "valuable" properties in mtnbk world. I live and work in SE Vt. What if someone were interested in the NE Kingdom? Kingdom trail-ville. How would they find out what private parcels are for sale and that trail access could be threatened if it went to the wrong folks? How would a mtnbkr know who to reach out to? If your passion and work was frame building, or manufacturing mtnbk components, wouldn't it be good to be able to reach out to mtnbkrs? Thru forums? Classified? Whatever kind of section someone wants to make for it?

Members who have read this thread: 0