Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I <3 NM

MTB'ing Opportunities around Stuttgart, Germany?

I've got an offer for a job in Stuttgart and like any good mtb'er, one item high on my list is having great trials to ride nearby - especially since I'll be there 3-5 yrs.

I would greatly appreciate any info on mtb ride opportunities/clubs etc.

Thx!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    I've got an offer for a job in Stuttgart and like any good mtb'er, one item high on my list is having great trials to ride nearby - especially since I'll be there 3-5 yrs.

I would greatly appreciate any info on mtb ride opportunities/clubs etc.

Thx!
    Post up in the Europe forum. I'll be there with you working in 2015 for about half a year - so scope it all out the next two years and let me know.

Do you speak German? Great forums here in the mother tongue regarding the Stuttgart mountain biking scene...

Stuttgart und Umgebung - MTB-News.de - IBC

Or, if you want to stick to English, there are some threads regarding Stuttgart here at MTBR.com....

How's the riding in Stuttgart?

Good trails near Stuttgart?

Stuttgart-Heidelberg-Karlsruhe, Germany Ride Report

Is there any single track near Stuttgart?

Rogue Exterminator
    Plenty of biking all over Europe and rail system that will get you there.

Take the opportunity, I doubt you will regret it.

I <3 NM
    Oh, I shall be going.

Thanks for links, but no, I dont read nor speak any German really. But, I bet if I connect with some local mtb'ers I'll be learning in no time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just moved back from there 6 months ago. Excellent biking, though most is on German bike paths, not necessarily single track. You can ride anywhere and everywhere on the bike paths, most bike stores sell trail maps. There is also an excellent bike route planner available, google Stuttgart Bike Route Planner. It's in German, but I think you can change the language. I commuted to work by bike everyday, 15 km each way. It's the way to go, with German traffic it's just as fast and let's you drink more beer without the nasty side effects. I do recommend studded tires in the winter, the snow gets packed and icy. Enjoy, it's a great place to live.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear View Post
    I just moved back from there 6 months ago. Excellent biking, though most is on German bike paths, not necessarily single track. You can ride anywhere and everywhere on the bike paths, most bike stores sell trail maps. There is also an excellent bike route planner available, google Stuttgart Bike Route Planner. It's in German, but I think you can change the language. I commuted to work by bike everyday, 15 km each way. It's the way to go, with German traffic it's just as fast and let's you drink more beer without the nasty side effects. I do recommend studded tires in the winter, the snow gets packed and icy. Enjoy, it's a great place to live.
    I'm taking a car, but I don't mind riding my bike when I can/feel like it.

Where is the nearest single track?

Your Best Friend
    If you can ever make it to Rodalben, they have an excellent singletrack that circles just above the city for about 30 miles. I loved this ride.

F trail in Rodalben Germany by silentfoe at Garmin Connect - Details
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Combat Wombat
    My girlfriend (now my wife) and I were stationed at the Sigonella Naval Air Station, Sicily. In 1992 and loaded with just our backpacks, we caught a hop to Naples. From there we used a combination of trains and rental cars to travel through Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria. Along the way, we spent a couple days in Stuttgart visiting a friend stationed there. A nice place and so many great places within reasonable traveling distance. I definitely envy you. While I have no doubt about great mountain biking there, do not pass up the opportunity to see the other sights.

I <3 NM
    Odd coincidence.

I was at NAS Sigonella in '86 with the Seabees. We built several buildings among which was the NAS II bookstore.

Did get to travel much - a 2 day trip to Rome was about it besides occasional trips to Taormina.

I'm looking forward to this adventure.

Combat Wombat
    Odd coincidence.

I was at NAS Sigonella in '86 with the Seabees. We built several buildings among which was the NAS II bookstore.

Did get to travel much - a 2 day trip to Rome was about it besides occasional trips to Taormina.

I'm looking forward to this adventure.
    I was attached to AIMD, working in the RADAR/IR shop from '89 to '92. Sigonella is where I was introduced to mountain biking from a co-worker. I had an apartment in Motta and used to ride all over the pastures and orange groves just east of Motta overlooking Misterbianco. At the time before it was covered with lava, there was a double track trail that started just west of the south ski lodge and ran all the way around to the north ski area above Linguaglosa. There is a picture hanging in my den of a friend and I posing with our bikes on that trail, with the top of Mt. Etna 3000 meters in the background. I was lucky, working AIMD was like a regular job, so had plenty of time to travel. I skied the Swiss Alps the first year I was there. During my last year, I put nearly 70K kilometers on my 128 Fiat driving all over Sicily and also going up to the north side to ski for a couple hours everyday before going to work in the evening. On a clear day, I could see the mainland.

Have been back to Germany a couple different times over the years, but being somewhere like that for only a couple days will never, ever come close to what it is like to actually live there.

I sure do miss those days, live it up brother. Make sure you post some pics.

Rogue Exterminator
    Oh, I shall be going.

Thanks for links, but no, I dont read nor speak any German really. But, I bet if I connect with some local mtb'ers I'll be learning in no time.

You will be surprised how many people there speak English.
    I guarantee you those people will rather speak English to you anyways in order to learn it better.

Lots of Europeans are multilingual and English is a very common first choice for many of them.

mtbr member
    Once summer comes around, you MUST head to Garmisch. I simply love that town. Winter snowboarding and summer biking.

I really miss that country. I don't miss the rain and snow, though.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Once summer comes around, you MUST head to Garmisch. I simply love that town. Winter snowboarding and summer biking.

Getting used to all that wet weather again will be an adjustement. Here in ABQ we've gotten 5" of rain this year so far.. sunny days and dry trails are the norm.

mtbr member
    You just get to test out mud tires and maybe a fat bike for rolling into the pub. Late night pub crawls in 2ft of snow is awesome. BTW, for driving, Germany is much better than the States. It starts snowing and they are out clearing the road.

I really have zero bad to say about Germany and their hospitality. Great country, great ppl, great food, great beer, fun roads, and they have biking passion. I noticed a lot of trails just in the woods around where i lived (near Regensburg). Some logging and some single track. Just gotta venture out and see whats in the area. Locals will be happy to give you the information if you ask.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post

And Garmisch is also not that far from the Neuschwanstein Castle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Second Garmisch, it's one of my favorite places on the planet. I never actually biked there, just hiked and skied. Beautiful scenery, great food, awesome trails. Put it on the list. Consider Bled, Slovenia too for more of the same. It's another great place.

I <3 NM
    It's looking good for me... I should be there just before summer if eveything goes right.

dirtbag
    I've lived in the Stuttgart area for a couple years now, here are my impressions.

You can ride straight from your door whether you live in the city or neighboring town. The Germans like their walking trails, they're well marked and available maps at the bigger bike shops. Two maps will cover the Stuttgart area: Stuttgart und Umgebung & Landkreis Boeblingen/Naturpark Schonbuch. These cover the MUP type trails in the forest -most 6ft wide gravel, some double track, some singletrack. I rode around with these maps in my camelbak exploring the woods. Keep an eye out for small trails on the side of the main trails - some are nice hunter trails that lead to hunt stands and dead end. some connect to another trail.

To get the best singletrail (yeah, Germans say singleTRAIL not singleTRACK) hook up with the locals. Get on mtb-news.de forum. Check out the "Stuttgart und Umgegung" and meet up with the locals who'll show you the sweet singletrail. Google translate is your friend but when you're out on the trails learn some basics... it goes a long way.

The Schonbuch Naturpark its northern border up by Holzgerlingen, west-Herrenberg, south at Tubingen and west the Neckar river is a huge forest to go riding, but be forewarned- bring a map and learn how to read the terrain. Again, lots of gravel double track very little singletrack unless you know a local. By local I mean an actual mountain biker. The forests here seem to be geared towards hunters, the local forestmeister seem to place bikers on par with the hikers who only stay on wide doubletrack trails.This is a shame because the potential for awesome mtb trails in the local terrain is untapped. Germans need more local IMBA clubs to further trail access and building.

The trails out in the Pfalzerwald and Rodalben, Garmisch are a nice weekend trips. Nice riding opportunites in Germany but you're in the middle of Europe, take advantage! Excellent riding to be had in Italy - Lake Garda, Spain - Basque country, epic riding in the Alps, the opportunities are endless.

Go native - enter a local mtb race or mtb marathon race. Great way to practice your German, eat local and ride trails you wouldn't otherwise ride. Go on a bike tour - the bike trail along the Neckar River starting from the Cannstadt up towards Heidelberg and points north is a favorite - there's a thread here a member posted of this. Other bike tours to cool destinations. Ride to work - lots of bike commuters here and the trails cutting through the woods make is enjoyable and safer - no cars to worry about. Even then, if you have to ride on the roads the Germans give cyclists lots of room when they pass. They'll even queue up behind you dutifully driving slow til the opposite traffic is clear.

MTBNate - you gonna be working for the Germans or Americans?
    Amolan

I <3 NM
    Wow! Excellent information!

I work for the US now and will be working for the US in that location as well.

I've been reading that mtb'ers are limited to trails 2 meters wide. That's going to take some getting used to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've been reading that mtb'ers are limited to trails 2 meters wide.
    Yes. More and more singletrails look like this.....

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetking View Post
    Yes. More and more singletrails look like this.....

Dead fall and/or disgruntled hikers - the reason why we tend to carry folding & rope saws in our backpacks here in New Mexico.

Plus, some local guys use stuff like that to make "technical trail features" out of.

dirtbag
    Wow! Excellent information!

I work for the US now and will be working for the US in that location as well.

I've been reading that mtb'ers are limited to trails 2 meters wide. That's going to take some getting used to.
    Look up SLACRs on Yahoo groups. They're the local US bike group in the area, mostly roadies but they do some off-road and touring rides. Riding on the road is nice out here. Lots of country roads to explore the small german villages. Sign up for a RTF, the German sportive (Rad Tourenfahren) for some cool training rides. Good stuff...

If you're on Patch, I can speak to the after work riding. You can ride north into the forest and make your way into some decent singletrack sections just north of the University and the hills above Stuttgart. Again, hook up with a local group that'll show you around.

The 2 meter wide trail limit - yeah, I've heard that to but on every ride I've been with the locals, we were riding on singletrail. Way under that limit. It's just like the one where legally you're suppose to have a white light in front, red light in the rear and two amber reflector on each wheel. I've never seen nor heard of someone being stopped for not following that one whether they're a lycra-wearing roadie, mountain biker or the civilian riding through town.

Just don't cross a crosswalk on red. Ever. Not even when it's dead of night, it's raining heavily and a serial ax murderer is chasing you. Wait til you get the green crosswalk light. If you don't every German within a one mile radius will scowl and mutter something incomprehensible in German about your lawless misdeed. You've been forewarned!

Besides that, living here is awesome! Good luck to you!
    Amolan

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Look up SLACRs on Yahoo groups. They're the local US bike group in the area, mostly roadies but they do some off-road and touring rides. Riding on the road is nice out here. Lots of country roads to explore the small german villages. Sign up for a RTF, the German sportive (Rad Tourenfahren) for some cool training rides. Good stuff...

If you're on Patch, I can speak to the after work riding. You can ride north into the forest and make your way into some decent singletrack sections just north of the University and the hills above Stuttgart. Again, hook up with a local group that'll show you around.

The 2 meter wide trail limit - yeah, I've heard that to but on every ride I've been with the locals, we were riding on singletrail. Way under that limit. It's just like the one where legally you're suppose to have a white light in front, red light in the rear and two amber reflector on each wheel. I've never seen nor heard of someone being stopped for not following that one whether they're a lycra-wearing roadie, mountain biker or the civilian riding through town.

Just don't cross a crosswalk on red. Ever. Not even when it's dead of night, it's raining heavily and a serial ax murderer is chasing you. Wait til you get the green crosswalk light. If you don't every German within a one mile radius will scowl and mutter something incomprehensible in German about your lawless misdeed. You've been forewarned!

Besides that, living here is awesome! Good luck to you!
    Great to know. Yeah, I'll be at Patch Barracks.

If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM later asking for some advice on where to rent etc.

Cheers!
    Last edited by MTBNate; 11-25-2012 at 08:20 AM.

dirtbag
    Great to know. Yeah, I'll be at Patch Barracks.

If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM later asking for some advice on where to rent etc.

Cheers!
    Sure, no prob Nate.
    Amolan

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Sure, no prob Nate.
    Cool thanks much.

It's going to quite a change in riding from here in New Mexico - but I am totally looking forward to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast