Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB Class for Roadies - What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tystevens 
#1 ·
OK - sorry for the hook of a title, but NOTHING went wrong.

We ended up with the BEST beginner group ride in the history of the world.

The Lake Erie Wheelers - well, a certain bunch of ~15 of them - came out to the Royalview MTB Trail for a beginner class given by me, and a friend who is an IMBA certified instructor. Many of them on borrowed bikes.

She got everyone onto square one with some field exercises figuring out their bikes and how to get ready for all that bumpy stuff.

I took them out on the trail to help them apply what they'd learned.

Despite a few scuffs and some near misses, everyone had a great time. The "roadies", methinks, have just become part-time roadies, now that they've gotten a taste of the sublime nectar that is MTBing.

One quote: "I was somewhere between terror and exhilaration!"
Which, as WE all know, is the description of the perfect MTB ride.

Good riding today! Many smiles.

-F

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting how different riding can be in different regions ... here in Utah, I don't know if I can say I know a single "roadie" who doesn't also ride mountain bikes to some degree (disclaimer -- I don't know a ton of roadies, as I'm not part of any clubs or regular group rides. But I know probably 15 people who put 1000+ miles in a year on the road). I know a few who spend far more time on the road than in the mountains, but they all cross over somewhat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.