amar la vida de dos niner

Mountain biking zeal. Pass it on.

If for any reason you feel a little ho-hum about riding your mountain bike, try hooking up with a beginner. It's all so wonderful and new to them, and their learning curve means that almost every ride they will accomplish at least one thing they've never done before.

I've posted a couple of pics of Carla in the past. Here's a few shots from a hill-repeat training ride at Walnut Creek in Austin, Tx. (Oh, and check out her new steed. She's loving it.)

1) Making that ledgy climb that always poses a big challenge.
    2) Taking a less-steep and less-technical climb with some speed.
    3) Hunkering down for that last push over the crest.
    4) The divided highway that leads to the exit. All done!

[These were taken with Carla's little pocket digital. Sorry if the quality isn't great.]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scorpionwoman; 03-13-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Under New Management
    Thanks for all the nice pics and topics you bring so often.

I was brought into the sport a couple of years ago by some incredibly generous and knowledgable people. They have been invaluable to me and my enjoying mountain biking to the degree that I do.

mtbr member
    I just started riding with a beginer and it is kind of neat to stand back and watch them. I remember it started with the phone calls and emails about this and that bike. Then there was the first trail ride and the excitement after clearing a section that he couldnt clear before.

The important thing to realize is that when you come up on someone on the trail that is a beginner just remember you used to be one to!

congrats on the new ride
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Great pics! Carla has pretty nice gear for a beginner. Carla, if you're reading this, that's an awesome Kona!

Ant

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Great story... its great to be able to help someone else enjoy what we already know is an awesome sport. Need more of that...

mtbr member
    Spin classes sometimes help more with climbing than actual climbs.

amar la vida de dos niner
    Thanks, all. Fun stuff, isn't it?

[Poff, Carla loves playing outside. She does trainer workouts occasionally, but an essential part of her character is to be in the great outdoors. (She's also a kayak instructor.)]

She's loving the new ride, but I must admit that my (and others') ardor for big wheels has her contemplating a 29er.

In any case, she's having a blast and improving by leaps and bounds. Go, Carla!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Congratulations! You have succeeded where I failed miserably. I tried hard to tempt my wife into mountain biking. Eventually, she squeezed from me a yearly pass to our local health club instead. Even worse, she goes to spinning classes there, which is nothing short of being unfaithful!