High Desert MTBer

Mountain Biking will prolong your life, in more than one way...

It is widely accepted that mountain biking will make you healthier, it certainly has with me, and apart from the obvious scars, bruises, cuts, scrapes and gouges, my doctor was amazed at how good my general health was for someone my age, all vitals being well within what would be good for a youngster apparently. (Hope they didn't mix my results up with anyone else!). Much of this is down to diet and cleaner living now I know, but over the course of my life I have done things to, and put things in my body, repeatedly and at length, that should have finished me off a while back, and I am firmly of the belief that mountain biking has a huge effect on my mental well-being, which has a huge effect on the physical, not just because of taking regular exercise. Long may it continue!

In addition to all this, however, there is another added benefit: when I think back over the three years since I once again started to ride often, (I try to ride off road at least 10 hours a week if I am not away working), these three years seem to have taken much, much longer than any other three year period in my life. When I think of all the rides I have done, people I have met, bikes I have fettled, routes I have mapped, trails I have maintained or built, posts I have written, and stuff I have dreamed of doing around mountain biking, it feels like I am gaining so much time! Long may this continue too! A big thanks to everyone who maintains this positivity towards such a cool pastime
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well said, I totally agree. For me it's also had the side benefit of making me appreciate the small stuff in life as well.

banned
    Jan 2013
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rockerc again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I picked up this sport as I wanted to try something new and plus the gf (soon to be wife) was use to bike alot. So I picked up a Rockhopper and her a myka (spelling) both 29. I'm in shape but could be better, fact that I got diabetes and I'm going to live as long as I can go willing. I'm going to do my part, just hoping big guns upstairs does his lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well said, Dr. rockerc.

I raised 2 daughters by my self. When they left the nest, I found a hot lady, alot younger than me,(14yrs) to spend the rest of my days with. I have two grandchildren, that I am going to impress with my physical well being.

I need more time. So, I will ride as much as I possibly can. I'm looking for some more years to spend, teaching them the good shiv I learned on my journey.

Semper Fi

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Can't but agree with you all. Bike riding certainly makes you feel much better. Besides, connecting it with marvelous views! it's certainly worth doing that. ha-ha at the very beginning I used to watch these tips: YouTube
    Just to feel more confident. Downloaded them with a free app (DVDVideoSoft.com) to my pc and used to watch trying to remember )

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mountain Biking has certainly contributed to my overall fitness. I am in the best (cardio) shape I think I have ever been in. Over the last few months I have dropped ~20lbs and counting. I am looking forward to many more years of this stuff.

mtbr member
    I am also in the best shape of my life at 46.....mountain biking is the reason. Great to hear about others with similar story's. Very encouraging!

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdabike View Post
    Well said, Dr. rockerc.

I raised 2 daughters by my self. When they left the nest, I found a hot lady, alot younger than me,(14yrs) to spend the rest of my days with. I have two grandchildren, that I am going to impress with my physical well being.

I need more time. So, I will ride as much as I possibly can. I'm looking for some more years to spend, teaching them the good shiv I learned on my journey.

Semper Fi
    Isn't 14 a bit young for you?

(There are usually at least two ways to read anything on the Internet.)
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I can still remember when I made that conscious decision to improve my health through biking, I started with a formidable 5 mile trip around the neighborhood. I felt so proud of that achievement I was staring at the figure on my cyclometer not believing myself I did that. Several years later, I've moved that "formidable" target further and further and conquered seemingly formidable hills I thought I could never climb.

Now the joy for me is influencing and mentoring friends who just went into biking and accompanying them as they encounter and subsequently conquer their own formidable challenges.