Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915

    Mountain Biking the Northern States

    I'm planning a month long family trip across the Northern States. I will be taking 50 from Central CA through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, then across to Ohio and probably to the East Coast and then returning... probably hitting Yosemite and Rushmore along the return trip.

    If you were hitting the Northern States what rides would you not want to miss on your way by? I can probably work 6-8 days riding in. I am a pretty good cross country rider and can generally do 20-30 miles with a decent amount of climbing on a given day.

    Currently I'm planning on hitting Fruita, CO and probably Moab, UT but I don't know where I am riding in those areas. Any locals from the area want to share some lesser know trails that out of towners would normally miss?

    I would also like to know of easier trails which I can take my daughters on, they can handle about 10 miles flat so scenic and easy would be perfect.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,298

    near Rushmore

    be sure to ride in the Black Hills. Stop in Spearfish and ask for directions. I think Acme Bikes is the shop to use otherwise the 2 Wheeler Stea- I mean Dealer is another option.

  3. #3
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087

    Sun Valley, Idaho!

    I'am sure you will find everything your looking for in Sun Valley, Idaho. Absolutely beautiful easy trails and lung busting epics, plenty of choices for accommodations. You won't be sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I'm planning a month long family trip across the Northern States.
    Currently I'm planning on hitting Fruita, CO and probably Moab, UT but I don't know where I am riding in those areas. Any locals from the area want to share some lesser know trails that out of towners would normally miss?
    I would also like to know of easier trails which I can take my daughters on, they can handle about 10 miles flat so scenic and easy would be perfect.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Crash_Burn; 05-11-2005 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #4
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915

    Idaho

    I've heard great things about cycling in Idaho and will make a point of stopping though there. Maybe 2 days, one for me one for the kids

  5. #5
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915
    That has to be interesting country. Any particular trail you would recommend?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mighty Drop Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    384
    You should drive through MN and WI instead of kansas, iowa, Illonois. There are some really nice trails here in Wisconsin. You could stop at Levis Mound, Standing Rocks (where I live, center of the state) and Blue Mounds and still make it through to IL and Indiana fairly quickly.
    Check out those trails in the reviews, although the reviews for Standing Rocks aren't very up to date. There's now a 12 mile loop of nice singletrack with some short ski trail connectors. If you're coming though here, email me logan7 at uwalumni.com and I'll show you around the place. Cheers

  7. #7
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915

    Gotta go the KS... maybe MN on the return trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Drop Off
    You should drive through MN and WI instead of kansas, iowa, Illonois. There are some really nice trails here in Wisconsin. You could stop at Levis Mound, Standing Rocks (where I live, center of the state) and Blue Mounds and still make it through to IL and Indiana fairly quickly.
    Check out those trails in the reviews, although the reviews for Standing Rocks aren't very up to date. There's now a 12 mile loop of nice singletrack with some short ski trail connectors. If you're coming though here, email me logan7 at uwalumni.com and I'll show you around the place. Cheers
    I have family obligations in Kansas on the way out. I might take MN and WI on the return trip though since I plan on hitting Yosemite. Perhaps we can go around the Canada side of the Great Lakes and come in on Highway 2. I'll hang on to your email address for when I get closer to trip date (Mid June-July). If I'm heading that way I might wind up passing though on a weekday though which might make things tough to hook up.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Becky Thatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    120

    Missouri

    I have been a lot of places and if I were going to be anywhere near it I would not miss the Berryman Trail (Mark Twain Nat'l Forest) about 1.5 hours west of St. Louis MO only 20 minutes off I-44. 24 miles of some of the best single track in the country.

    Later
    "Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill!"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    27

    Good job! NV state

    Well, if your gonna pass through my state (NV) the Keystone area in Reno is a great ride long or short whatever you have time for....Tahoe is great too, but it won't be thawd out till June at the soonest....I've never riden in southern NV....but I hear there are some good rides in Las Vegas....Hope this helps

  10. #10
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,483
    Don't forget Peoria!

  11. #11
    JmZ
    JmZ is offline
    Reformed Lurker
    Reputation: JmZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,015

    A few places

    Lower Michigan has some excellent trails. Ft Custer is a blast, and has trails for several different skill levels. Poto is supposed to be very good too, but have not gotten over there. Same with Yankee Springs.

    Indiana has some good trails hidden around the state. In the north Winona Lake and Portage are good, in the central part of the state you'll find quite a bit there. Brown County will be a gem and there are several other trails pretty close near by. (visit www.hmba.org for details) Brown Co is still being developed so depending on when you come near this way will depend on how much trail will be open. The beginner loop is completed, and the intermediate loop is well under way.

    If I was to just hit one trail in Indiana probably would be Brown Co, and Ft Custer in Michigan.

    JmZ


    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I'm planning a month long family trip across the Northern States. I will be taking 50 from Central CA through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, then across to Ohio and probably to the East Coast and then returning... probably hitting Yosemite and Rushmore along the return trip.

    If you were hitting the Northern States what rides would you not want to miss on your way by? I can probably work 6-8 days riding in. I am a pretty good cross country rider and can generally do 20-30 miles with a decent amount of climbing on a given day.

    Currently I'm planning on hitting Fruita, CO and probably Moab, UT but I don't know where I am riding in those areas. Any locals from the area want to share some lesser know trails that out of towners would normally miss?

    I would also like to know of easier trails which I can take my daughters on, they can handle about 10 miles flat so scenic and easy would be perfect.

    Any ideas?
    JmZ

    From one flat land to another.

    Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

  12. #12
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915

    NV Riding

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbikechic15
    Well, if your gonna pass through my state (NV) the Keystone area in Reno is a great ride long or short whatever you have time for....Tahoe is great too, but it won't be thawd out till June at the soonest....I've never riden in southern NV....but I hear there are some good rides in Las Vegas....Hope this helps
    I will going Mid June and will probably stick closer to Tahoe than Reno. I think we'll be Ok with snow. Is there any good riding East of Tahoe?

  13. #13
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915

    Cool...

    My wife's family is in NE Ohio so I'm going to be spending a lot of time in that area so this is great. I will probably be able to break off and spend 2 or 3 days in this area while she visits family

    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Lower Michigan has some excellent trails. Ft Custer is a blast, and has trails for several different skill levels. Poto is supposed to be very good too, but have not gotten over there. Same with Yankee Springs.

    Indiana has some good trails hidden around the state. In the north Winona Lake and Portage are good, in the central part of the state you'll find quite a bit there. Brown County will be a gem and there are several other trails pretty close near by. (visit www.hmba.org for details) Brown Co is still being developed so depending on when you come near this way will depend on how much trail will be open. The beginner loop is completed, and the intermediate loop is well under way.

    If I was to just hit one trail in Indiana probably would be Brown Co, and Ft Custer in Michigan.

    JmZ

  14. #14
    willtsmith_nwi
    Reputation: willtsmith_nwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,966

    Great Lakes ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I have family obligations in Kansas on the way out. I might take MN and WI on the return trip though since I plan on hitting Yosemite. Perhaps we can go around the Canada side of the Great Lakes and come in on Highway 2. I'll hang on to your email address for when I get closer to trip date (Mid June-July). If I'm heading that way I might wind up passing though on a weekday though which might make things tough to hook up.
    If you're coming through the Great Lakes, I invite you to stop by our trail near the southern tip of Lake Michigan.

    www.outbacktrail.org. 10 miles of technical singletrack. Chicago riders drive down. They like our trail better ;-)

    Do some riding in the morning, than hit the Dunes for a little beach time in the afternoon.

    Let me know if you'll be stopping by. I'll try to arrange a guide ;-)


    If you are passing through Central Indiana. The best trail in that area is Westwood. See www.hmba.org for details.

    The beast trail in Ohio is Mohican.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    27

    East of Tahoe

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I will going Mid June and will probably stick closer to Tahoe than Reno. I think we'll be Ok with snow. Is there any good riding East of Tahoe?
    Well, if your gonna hit Tahoe, be sure to check out the Tahoe Rim, and the Flume in spooner is a nice morning ride....east of Tahoe....Carson City has some good rides, like the pine nut...farther east...I don't know much about, and don't think there is much past that on highway 50. Maybe Battle Mtn, but thats on highway 80.

  16. #16
    Currently in Exile
    Reputation: Frozenspokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,283

    If you are spending time in OH

    Check out this site Spokejunkies. It has info on lots of trails in Ohio and Michigan. I have ridden with them, and they are a cool group of people.

    As far as the Black Hills are concerned, you can always ride the Mickelson trail with the kids. It is a rail trail that stretches over 100 miles through the black hills. Pretty easy riding and some beautiful scenery. Custer state park has some trails open to MTN bikes. The trails there are either shared with horses, or of the fire road variety, but there is plenty of elevation gain.

    If you find yourself in MN, you might also want to make the trek across ND to ride the Maah Daah Hey trail. The best stuff IMHO is up by the North unit of Teddy Roosevelt NP. And that would be out of your way, but there is plenty of really nice stuff close to Medora. Dakota Cyclery in Medora can hook you up there.

    When do you plan on being in the Yellowstone area? I am planning a trip out that way in August.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Similar Threads

  1. Alquist Trail closed to mountain biking!
    By imtnbke in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 05:14 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 01:33 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •