mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Mountain biking is my happy thought

The past couple years have been somewhat of a struggle for me, trying to adjust to life changes and some personal stagnancy, but i've found inspiration in a new love: mountain biking! Now, this may not be much of a surprise to many here, and considering how much I liked riding as a youth I guess i'm not entirely shocked myself. The amount of pleasure and excitement I get from riding, building skills and exploring new territory has been very pleasant discovery, and seeing how this sport has really developed in the twenty years I spent not really biking much is also awesome. I have to give big props to all the trail builders and pioneers out there helping it all evolve. I'm definitely going to get into some trail building and maintenence this year. Western Colorado is a great place to be for all of this.

I just figured i'd share my story with some sympathetic ears. Recently a strange five week break in the winter allowed for some great riding, and now i'm sitting here watching the snow fall and looking forward to spring. I will have to work on developing a love for a winter sport one of these days, but that hasn't happened yet (I love the outdoors and the beauty of winter, but I loathe driving in snow/ice).

It's still a new journey for me, I just passed the five hundred mile mark on trails and singletrack last month after starting to ride late last summer. I hope to triple that this year, and have some great destinations planned for the coming seasons. I also hope to explore some bikepacking and do some night riding for the first time. So much fun awaits. Honestly, it has been the most exciting and fulfilling element of my life in many ways lately. I'm a lifer for sure.

Magically Delicious
    Good read...have fun and be safe.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Great news! Welcome to the best lifestyle out there!

So Stoked!
    Way to go db... keep riding
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great reminder of what it's like falling in love with the mtn bike. Hope it continues to improve other areas of your life like it has for me. When all else has gone from me in the past the bike has always been there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I agree, I love this, 20 plus miles today
    Lefty For LIFE!!!!! To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for a great positive post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I knew I wasn't alone. =)

One thing that has been great about this year is i've connected with some other riders, which has really enriched my riding experience. For the most part the biking community has been awesome, and I am more confident inviting people out and getting them together. I think it's an integral part of it all.

And Cleared2land... definitely trying to play it safe. It hasn't stopped me from getting tossed numerous times, of course. Although my first forays into technical terrain did not immediately draw me to it, now I find the most fulfillment and challenge tackling really difficult stuff. I still walk a fair amount of features, however. There seems to be very fine line for me right now between conquering new obstacles and getting into risky situations. I suppose that adrenaline is a big part of it all. Man, I can't wait till' it thaws out. I'm trying to get out and ride but practicing skills and riding on the road is not quite the same for me...

mtbr member
    Very cool. Trail riding makes me feel like a kid again & it's helped me maintain my sanity the past three years. And like you mentioned, I've also met some fantastic people because of riding. I hope the enjoyment continues for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by db440 View Post
    I will have to work on developing a love for a winter sport one of these days, but that hasn't happened yet (I love the outdoors and the beauty of winter, but I loathe driving in snow/ice).
    First of all-great post-I could have said the same thing, bet others agree.

For the past ten years, I have hated winter with a passion. Just seeing snow piled up on the guard rail was enough to get me depressed-I should say disgusted. Now while I am driving I look at all the scenery. I was going a buck twenty(I exagerate) in a school bus down interstate 9, I looking in the woods like "Look at that rock formation-is that a trail I see?" Next thing I knew I was hitting the rumble strips and everyone was looking at me not watching the road. Oops. I actually that think I am going to be a much happier person because of mountain biking.

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by db440 View Post
    I will have to work on developing a love for a winter sport one of these days, but that hasn't happened yet (I love the outdoors and the beauty of winter, but I loathe driving in snow/ice).
    Fatbikes and/or studded tires mean mountain biking can most definitly be a winter activity, you know. Glad you're enjoying mountain biking. Keep at it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Fatbikes and/or studded tires mean mountain biking can most definitly be a winter activity, you know. Glad you're enjoying mountain biking. Keep at it!
    I have to admit you are right. Our winter has been so weird... It has been so warm the snow comes and melts into muck very early in the day, which with our adobe soil is not rideable at all. I suppose if I got up early in the morning and went everything is frozen solid it could be a go. Maybe I do need to buck it up and do that, but it is quite hard for me to motivate to get up and go out in the cold AM. There is no excuse other than being a weenie. I'm going to have to go out and at least give it a go now...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Man, I had psyched myself up to get out early and try to get some riding in while the muddy trails were still frozen, but I may have to wait till' next winter to prove myself in the cold because the weather changed and it's riding time!

Some of the higher trails are not accessible yet, but there is a lot of dry terrain to play on, and i'm taking advantage of it. I'm quite pumped about it, and now I just need to figure out how to balance work, a toddler, and my other obligations in life to carve out enought time for riding. Thankfully, I see it happening. =)