Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

Mountain biker, trail killers?! According to this guy, yes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    LOL. i like the proletarian spelling of the word "killers".
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    HAHAHAHA

Saw this ad on this guy's blog

ETA

Sorry had to upload another way
    Note the ad at the bottom of the page

sinner
    Jan 2007
    All of these trail issues the guy is complaining about are close to major metropolitan areas. Is this what you get when too many people are trying to make what little undeveloped land there own? With all the lard asses in our country, one might think that playing outside would be good for all.

since 4/10/2009
    another nutjob to replace the one who's been jailed, eh? not surprising.

You would think that with the epidemic of obesity in this country, our public officials would like people to be outside exercising regardless. and undeveloped parks in urban areas make the most sense.

but we all know that we're just "wheeled locusts" out there trying to tear up the trails.

might consider removing the link - it's just going to give him publicity he doesn't really deserve. and it's obvious the guy trolls these forums just searching for material.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Going through the blog, it doesn't seem like he likes any type of cycling. There was something about Lance Armstrong & 'evidence' biking is unhealthy for men...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This is disgusting. I moved from an area that has tons of trails (open to all users) and is very accepting and pro-mountain bike. Now I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (the location of "trail killerz") and cannot believe how unaccepting and anti-mountain bike this place is. Considering the history of cycling in Northern California the attitudes against cycling and in particular mountain biking are inconceivable. Time to move.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree with NateHawk, remove the link. The last thing that guy needs is more hits on his site.

mtbr member
    riding on "illegal" trails... what a load of crap. One day they will make criminals of us all.
    i love how they always bring up "trail erosion" what a load and the suckers buy right into it. A bike path does as much damage as a game trail. it is clear what we must do, stop the deer! they are destroying nature. We are going to have to dam up all the rivers because they erode the land! How about equestrians? notice the trench worn into the PAVED ROAD by the horses of central park, not even cars do that.
    http://blog.brooklynprints.com/image...argemarked.jpg
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

Retired User
    I think we can all agree that this is an asinine blog....and blogs are asinine to begin with, so you do the math. I'm more intrigued / disturbed / interested in NateHawk's new avatar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Whomever is behind that site is a misdirected jerk!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This is hilarious. This guy has to be trolling. No one actually feels that way.

My spelling is atroshus
    Jesus h. budah on a flaming rocketship. Why don't the enightened just go right ahead and abolish anything with opposable thumbs that is capable of producing fire and be done with the whole thing.:madman

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

might consider removing the link - it's just going to give him publicity he doesn't really deserve. and it's obvious the guy trolls these forums just searching for material.
    And he might be making cash on the adverts exposure as well. Surprised he doesn't have a youtube channel to funnel in money.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    I'm more intrigued / disturbed / interested in NateHawk's new avatar.
    I was a zombie in a shoot for the film "Christmas with the Dead" on Friday night last week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish View Post
    This is disgusting. I moved from an area that has tons of trails (open to all users) and is very accepting and pro-mountain bike. Now I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (the location of "trail killerz") and cannot believe how unaccepting and anti-mountain bike this place is. Considering the history of cycling in Northern California the attitudes against cycling and in particular mountain biking are inconceivable. Time to move.
    You cant go 10 feet in norcal without running into miles and miles of singletrack, legally open to bikes.

The "anti mountain bike" attitude doesnt seem to exist when you're actually out riding the trails, legal or illegal.

Keep it in perspective and hit some trails.. your conception of norcal being so anti bike is largely in your head.. like people standing at 30 miles of singletrack trailhead complaining about the one or two off limits trails.

Now broadcasting from CO
    +1 for removing this link.

I wish I had a camera on my ride last night (on legal trails FWIW). I could show him real trail destruction as caused by horses. Granted there are some a-hole mountain bikers who do stupid $hit like building illegal trails, but around here (PA, DE, and MD) my estimate (unverifiable) would be that 80% of trail damage comes from horses. Then the mountain bikers fix the trails...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    ^ They dont care about facts, they're anti mountain biker, period.

I think the concept of illegally riding a bicycle is fairly ridiculous. Erosion is a part of nature.. nature has a way of rebalancing out even after HUGE disruptions, and bicycles arent very big disruptions.

mtbr member
    Is this the same freakshow that attacked a rider with a saw last year? He's got a facebook page along the same lines as that silly-assed page.

Ya know everyone's entitled to their own opinions & all, but I will never understand why certain people work so hard to exercise control over other people. Seems to be their driving purpose to make other people do as they think they should do. Yah, we're all drug addicts who ride for the sole purpose of killing animals and destroying the soil. Suuuurrrrrre.

I must be a troglodyte - I just don't understand the environmental harm created by a 10-inch wide stripe of dirt in the middle of . . . dirt. Are we slaughtering endangered microbes now?

Seems like we americans have to take every idea to its illogical extreme. Personally, I'm pro-environment but I'd like to punch most of the environmentalists right the f$ck out.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Is this the same freakshow that attacked a rider with a saw last year? He's got a facebook page along the same lines as that silly-assed page.
    I don't think so. it appears to be a different freakshow.

I must be a troglodyte - I just don't understand the environmental harm created by a 10-inch wide stripe of dirt in the middle of . . . dirt. Are we slaughtering endangered microbes now?

Seems like we americans have to take every idea to its illogical extreme. Personally, I'm pro-environment but I'd like to punch most of the environmentalists right the f$ck out.
    there are real impacts, and there are blown-out-of-proportion impacts. the real impacts are that bikes aren't much different than hiking boots and that a singletrack trail is a singletrack trail and that traffic on said trail is traffic that increases the impacts. but nothing lacks impacts. a bear shitting in the woods has impacts.

the "harm" I would be concerned with is the harm to the trail itself. a trail gets harmed by water because it was built poorly. bikes themselves don't really do much harm to a trail unless the trail was built improperly and the water has already done its job (flowing downhill and collecting in low spots). but in a case where the trail was built poorly and water is collecting in low spots and flowing downhill, a hiking boot is going to harm the trail, too.

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Unfortunate -- What's going on here is more people and more demand on a trail than the trail can support. Walkers (Metro-Strollers, not hikers), dogs, kids, joggers, horses, don't mix with two wheels and riding at let's say 10 mph and maybe here and there leaving the roadway to grab some air.

I ride in horse country. We get along, and I love horses -- but they consistently cannot figure out what I'm about. Horses can't parse out the helmet, the sunglasses, the wheels.

Kids and dogs on a bike trail are a collision waiting to happen. We have "rogue" trail builders in the metro area -- Most of the time what they do is cause a lot of erosion because they strip vegetation off the fall line.

What's the real issue? Bottom line?

Too damned many people, too few resources. We're seeing competition for limited space -- MTB has some pretty significant impacts in urban areas. It's not an urban recreation.

That said, there are @$$holes everywhere. This guy's blog is proof of that.
    Last edited by AllisonWunderland; 06-22-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Where I live people are happy to have bikers. We keep the trail from growing in. Also we smooth out what the horses tear up. If it weren't for the horses we wouldn't have the trails to ride on.

mtbr member
    The guy who runs this blog is a hypocritical and petty environazi named John Parulis from Marin County- we seem to have an abundance of them around these parts! To put it in perspective, he's always whining about mountain bikers yet his house sits on landfill that was once bay marsh land. He's also a 9/11 truther and super far left Green Peace whack job. He lives right by a popular local riding area called China Camp that I frequent- luckily I've never had to deal with his snarky ass on the trail.

Feel free to spam his business: http://www.brightpathvideo.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If I were the biker I would have called the cops. You have the right to deny being video taped. Haha would have made my day.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I gave up on off road motorcycling because of too many restrictions and too many places closed to motorized vehicles. I just want to ride in peace and enjoy the outdoors my way,being polite and courtious to other trail users. However I dont go anywhere unarmed if someone approaches me in a isolitaed area in a threatening mannor,producing a unknown object and pointing it at me that may look to me like a weapon I will defend my self. I only write this on a public forum in the hope that it will give food for thought to 'trail bullies' hopefully avoid this situation altogether.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    The guy who runs this blog is a hypocritical and petty environazi named John Parulis from Marin County- we seem to have an abundance of them around these parts! To put it in perspective, he's always whining about mountain bikers yet his house sits on landfill that was once bay marsh land. He's also a 9/11 truther and super far left Green Peace whack job. He lives right by a popular local riding area called China Camp that I frequent- luckily I've never had to deal with his snarky ass on the trail.

Feel free to spam his business: http://www.brightpathvideo.com/
    Ahh, I was sure someone had run into this one before, seeing that his website has been up for a number of years already.

That guy's full of contradictions, now isn't he?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes!!! View Post
    If I were the biker I would have called the cops. You have the right to deny being video taped. Haha would have made my day.
    Sadly, this is untrue in a public place.

As far as the blog.
    I'm all for "Tread Lightly" principles, most the time. We practice it pretty often in our overland adventure/expedition trips (4WD). But it is essentially pack in/pack out principles.
    I do not live near the trails talked about. But I do believe this is ridiculous.
    There are two sides, however.
    My 0.2 Cents:

First, why would you want to ride in illegal places, despite the awesome-ness, if it gives your passion/hobby a bad rap, and will only make life worse for others. Pretty selfish, I say. In off-roading, 4-wheeling your jeep illegally is looked down upon by the community, because of the bad name it gives to the hobby. We love our vehicles and our hobby, and the only way to get progression and cooperation with authorities and the public is to be patient, and do it legally. I think it's worth the effort to take these ideas up with Mountain Biking. However, in Texas (where the trails truly aren't California amazing) it isn't really an issue from what I can tell, I have yet to run into a secret "illegal" trail that must be ridden.
    Second, Mountain Biking trails, in my opinion, are not that hazardous to nature. Singletrack is hardly a disastrous thing to do to nature. It's a small trail that winds through the woods. Is it really hurting people. Not to mention, a thousand hiking shoes through the same area, would likely cause the same erosion if not greater....don't even get me started on equestrian damages. Also, like another person mentioned. This is a very healthy sport, from my interaction, taken up by older people looking to enjoy the outdoors. How is that a bad thing? I wear myself out and am losing weight (already 10 lbs from the 50 I am over-weight) how could that not be considered, a good thing to be supported.
    Furthermore, that land is just as much owned by the people who bike, as the people who hike.

I love visiting California...to be honest, if it wasn't for laws/people like that, and the cost of living. I would live there. It's beautiful everywhere I have been.

As a side note, I am a Texan. Not a hippie. If I ever felt my 0.2 cents were too "hippie." I would abandon my money and run. Whether that matters or not. I just think there is something to be said for respecting what we have. But this blogger screams "Michael Moore" to me. And that is just silly. He needs a new hobby. And a better camera, that wind noise was just awful. Jeez.

/rant

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sburnett View Post
    /rant
    Well thats no fun...

Bandolero

Sadness Pt. 1

Rule 34.

Why do you hate America?
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish View Post
    move to santa cruz.

a completely different vibe.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

since 4/10/2009
    As a side note, I am a Texan. Not a hippie. If I ever felt my 0.2 cents were too "hippie." I would abandon my money and run. Whether that matters or not. I just think there is something to be said for respecting what we have. But this blogger screams "Michael Moore" to me. And that is just silly. He needs a new hobby. And a better camera, that wind noise was just awful. Jeez.

/rant
    I really don't care whether or not an idea is too "hippie" or not. If something makes sense, I'll agree with it. If not, nope. And more people should think that way. Being a current resident of Texas, I see a lot of things like you just said. "I'm a Texan. I don't believe xxxx." Texas is more diverse than a lot of Texans are willing to admit.

I think it's all beside the point of what this guy is doing/saying. You don't have to be a Texan or "not a hippie" to see he's off his rocker. And that's crazy for you - when all kinds of people can get together and agree someone is an idiot, it's often true.

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    right on, NateHawk
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Around here in West TN (the flat part) it is horses that kill the trails. They leave "horse mud" everywhere and after a rain destroy the trails way worse than bikes. It is a little irritating to see a trail mucked up by biking after a hard rain, but them dang horses take the cake.

mtbr member

/rant
    You are aware that dope smoking hippies from Marin County just north of SF were the pioneers of modern mountain biking , right? Just putting your statement into a little perspective. :P

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Another moron with no life of his own.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Afric Pepperbird
    You are aware that dope smoking hippies from Marin County just north of SF were the pioneers of modern mountain biking , right? Just putting your statement into a little perspective. :P
    Please give the guy a break. He's from that wonderful wasteland, Perryland, err... I mean Texas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Another moron with no life of his own.
    Agreed. Out here in West Virginia, these trail nazis just don't exist nor would they last very long. WV embraces bikers, hikers and even ATV's. The Hatfield/McCoy trails are great for the ATV's. A Mike V type wouldn't last very long here. 'Especially if he started attacking people.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    at first I thought this was Mike V. but it is the guy with this business.

(415) 250-6520

this is his number, I literally just talked to him. Asking him if he could stream video from a MTB race. which he would do as long as the trails were legit. He kept asking me if it was a prank call., I just kept going how I knew nothing about his blog. It was funny. Waste enough of this guy time and make it impossible to run his business and pretty soon he wont have a home over his head to harass MTBers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned View Post
    Agreed. Out here in West Virginia, these trail nazis just don't exist nor would they last very long. WV embraces bikers, hikers and even ATV's. The Hatfield/McCoy trails are great for the ATV's. A Mike V type wouldn't last very long here. 'Especially if he started attacking people.
    WV's situation is typical of the trails in less populated areas. The SF Bay Area is a densely populated metro area w/ nearly 8 million people, tons of tourists, quite a few fringe left environazis, and actually an incredible amount of open space right beyond our city limits. In a situation like ours trail conflict is unavoidable. I just think as a sizable user group, mountain bikers should be given more access to trails. This is slowly changing as the old guard is replaced by those who are typically much more MTB friendly. I would say it's a safe bet that mountain bikes are allowed on less than 10% of the singletrack trail network in the bay area. I don't see why we can't have MTB specific trails or rotate days for different user groups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There are bad apples anywhere you go. To pick out some selected incidents is fairly ignorant to paint a broad stroke that everyone and everything associated with that group is bad.

I hike and backpack as well as mountain bike. One of my favorite hiking spots just up the street from me also has graffiti painted all over the rocks. There's beer bottles all over the trail, broken. You have to get about three miles in until you get away from that crap. Am I going to take pictures of the big rock that has "Sarah can suck a mean co$%" and start a blog to start talking about how hikers are bad?

One thing I always seem to hear a lot about is how mountain bikes destroy trails. But I really hear nothing about destroying anything else. I'm sure there is a study out there that talks of how rubber may affect blueways, but I'm sure for every study out there about that, you can find a collaborative study talking about the hazardous health affects of someone taking a crap near a stream.
    You're not one with nature until you eat it.

Bike: 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    With every hobby, there is always some a-hole with no knowledge of the subject bashing it. It's something that, unfortunately, we are destined to live with. Be watchful, as if they grow in numbers, they may vilify your interests in the eyes of the public. There is no way to prevent these people from attacking what you love, the only thing you can do is try to educate the ignorant as best as you can.

Village Dirtbag
    After globabl warming, declining clean-water resources, strip-mining, and desertification, a potential ~15% increase in trail erosion on some trails should be the environmental crisis that defines this generation. If we don't act fast, future generations may have to improve trail drainage or perhaps even install some water bars. Do you want YOUR grnadchildren to grow up in that kind of world!?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    The same people who think that mountain bikes and the people who love to ride them (that being outdoor lovers on human-powered, non-carbon burning bicycles in the wilderness) are anti-environment are the same kind of kooks who want to do this:

Article on killing wild camels in Australia, because they might fart and contribute to global warming. http://green.yahoo.com/news/afp/2011...lsoffbeat.html

Hahahahahahahah WTF?! I'm amazed people can even think up things like this. Want to fight global warming? Just plant a dang tree.

FF/EMT
    fail

Afric Pepperbird
    The same people who think that mountain bikes and the people who love to ride them (that being outdoor lovers on human-powered, non-carbon burning bicycles in the wilderness) are anti-environment are the same kind of kooks who want to do this:

Article on killing wild camels in Australia, because they might fart and contribute to global warming. http://green.yahoo.com/news/afp/2011...lsoffbeat.html

Reading that article, it's clear the guys that want to whack camels aren't doing it for any environmental good. They want to kill camels purely for greed. Carbon credits, to be exact, so that they themselves may pollute more. Quoted from the story:

"The scheme is the brainchild of an Adelaide-based commercial company, Northwest Carbon, a land and animal management consultancy, which proposes whacking feral camels in exchange for carbon credits."

since 4/10/2009

While I don't have a problem with the result (culling the feral camel population), the reasons are pretty outlandish. I have to agree with the guy who said that the camels would serve a better purpose if they were exploited as a resource.

Now, if feral cats could only be considered in a similar manner, the roadside tamale stands here in Texas would have a plentiful supply of cheap meat without being chased by the health department.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WV's situation is typical of the trails in less populated areas. The SF Bay Area is a densely populated metro area w/ nearly 8 million people, tons of tourists, quite a few fringe left environazis, and actually an incredible amount of open space right beyond our city limits. In a situation like ours trail conflict is unavoidable. I just think as a sizable user group, mountain bikers should be given more access to trails. This is slowly changing as the old guard is replaced by those who are typically much more MTB friendly. I would say it's a safe bet that mountain bikes are allowed on less than 10% of the singletrack trail network in the bay area. I don't see why we can't have MTB specific trails or rotate days for different user groups.
    Yes, we don't have the population density of LA or San Fran, but the crux of these idiots arguments is that we're damaging the environment. I don't ever see those kind of protesters out here. And if some idiot actually started attacking people on the trail w/ ice picks and hacksaws as a certain person who was recently put on trail for, it would only take a couple times at most I figure before word got out and he would find it to be an extremely unwise course of action as WV is a "shall issue" state. Again, these people just aren't a problem here. Most I meet on the trail (hikers, bikers, trail runners, etc) are very courteous of each other.
    Last edited by crashedandburned; 07-08-2011 at 03:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's true that your right to privacy doesn't extend to places where there isn't an expectation of it, but this dude put it on his for-profit blog, which I don't think you can do. He's effectively making some (miniscule) amount of money off the likeness of that biker dude, without that guy's consent, and I'm pretty sure that is illegal. There's a reason they blur the faces of some people on ambush reality shows like 'cheaters', despite the show taking place in public. Those are the people that wouldn't agree to sign a form consenting to the use of their likeness, or wanted too much money to sign it, and if you plan on making money on a film you need permission to put someone in it. I think there's some clause about being able to use the video as long as the person isn't recognizable, but I'm not totally sure how it all works exactly.