Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mountain biker froze to death, sad story

I don't know if this has been posted before.
    Too much passion and poor decisions could kill you.
    Very sad story that just happened last weekend.

CORONA: Widow angry at delay in search for mountain biker | Corona, Norco, Eastvale News | PE.com

We all can learn from this. Never underestimate the mountain, be prepared.
    Be safe out there.

mtbr member
    Sad story, but in perspective, that was not a good day to go out in the local mountains. I didn't go back out until yesterday and conditions were still marginal.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass. - David Lee Roth

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Read it a couple days ago, very sad. Don't know if his battery died or just lost reception, but my phone fully charged is something I will keep an eye on.

Dirt, Sweat and Gears
    A sad story for sure... but I have to say I see a whole lot of finger pointing at people who weren't to blame. A little more thought put into the gear he was taking with him probably would have saved him... let's not mention postponing the trip.
    Noob on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7
    Dirt, Sweat and Gears - my new outdoors blog

mtbr member
    Yeah...as a rescuer myself it sucks when conditions prevent you from going out and searching for a lost person. However, if conditions are that poor, you have to consider the safety of many over trying find/save just one.

And I'm sure that the mountain biker figured like many of us do...I've been there, done that...no reason to think I can't do it again. Well, stuff happens and you gotta be prepared. An 80 mile loop on a mountain bike in what I presume is fairly rugged area is nothing to take lightly...and in marginal weather to boot.

mtbr member
    This is a very tragic story indeed.

I get that the rider was ill prepared. Definitely shouldn't be out there if your safety could be compromised. That said, it didn't seem like finding him was too hard. I mean if a small group of volunteers was able to find him in 6 hours, having more support could have saved his life.

Again, clearly you should be prepared but if it wasn't that hard to find him, would it have been so bad to utilize more resources? We have people that do snow rescue where it's much colder and visibility is much less, I think people can go out with flashlights in rainy conditions, ya?

I didn't do it
    Yeah, this is pretty sad. I'm not going to bash the widow for her thoughts on the rescue - I don't blame her for feeling the way she does. I ride solo a lot and that takes just a little bit more preparation and planning than group riding. You and you alone are responsible for your actions and safety. You can't rely on others to get you out of a jam. Part of this philosophy is making good decisions, chief among them is knowing the weather and acting accordingly. If there's going to be bad weather on the day of the ride then you either cancel, change the time of the ride to miss the weather or go somewhere else where weather won't be an issue.

I found it strange that he died on the bike. I get it, he was probably getting hypothermic and losing judgement but damn, get off the bike and hunker down, man.

Unless there's some sort of review that says otherwise I'll support the search and rescue team's decision and take them at their word. There must have been good reason for not conducting the search. They're trained and dedicated professionals and you have to really try to see the situation from their point of view.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

MTB B'dos
    Sorry, have to agree sad, but not the sheriffs/rescuers fault. Seriously, who would plan to go out for 9 hours without even food, let alone a rain jacket and other "maybe" things?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Given his confused and disoriented state when he called his wife I wonder if he'd crashed and was suffering concussion symptoms. Hypothermia can cause similar symptoms though, so who's to say? That's the thing that a lot of people don't get about hypothermia is that it doesn't have to be that cold to die from it. 40-45 degrees F and wet for several hours is plenty cold to kill.

Sad story. As one who also rides solo in remote locations (and has crashed and been disoriented from a concussion) it really made me take a little re-assessment of my preparedness level.

mtbr member
    First off, let me say that I am extremely saddened by the story, and the loss of another biking enthusiast. I know that the saying "He died doing what he loved" might be said here, but it simply isn't true. He died by freezing to death, and that probably wasn't what he loved doing.

All the talk leaning towards blaming the rescue crews is a little disturbing to me. In the end, we are all responsible for our own safety, and when that fails, it is the duty of family, friends, and community to take over. If there is an official government agency that can help, that is great, but it isn't the job of the government to bail us out, or hold our hand, etc. Each man has to be responsible for himself.

Thoughts and prayers to the family, and those affected.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sad indeed. This has certainly got me rethinking some of my own future rides and how prepared I am in case of mishap. Usually a minimalist but not anymore! Did a ride yesterday and the boulders that had fallen onto the trail were plain scary!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    his being purple and still on the bike suggests something swift rather than hypothermia as that would have forced him off his bike.
    living in the blue mountains here in aus and my housemate is a member of the rural fire service. The number of people each year that get caught out is pretty amazing. to try and mitigate it the blue mountains council rent out epirbs if you are going out so if something should happen. Response time is a hell of a lot faster than waiting beyond a certain time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis M. View Post
    Sad indeed. This has certainly got me rethinking some of my own future rides and how prepared I am in case of mishap. Usually a minimalist but not anymore! Did a ride yesterday and the boulders that had fallen onto the trail were plain scary!
    This is how I feel. I'm not exactly a minimalist, in fact I think I pack more than I need. In the future when I'm debating whether or not to bring that extra layer I'll opt to bring it regardless.

Condolences to the deceased. It's interesting how he was found on the bike. Without knowing the terrain and conditions I wouldn't point any fingers at S&R. They want to head out there and find you safe as much as we want to ride.

The White Jeff W
    Sad story but Id rather die clipped in than waste away in a hospital bed. His family can take solace knowing he passed doing what he loves.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Sad story but Id rather die clipped in than waste away in a hospital bed. His family can take solace knowing he passed doing what he loves.
    I was just going to say basically the same thing! It is sad but I can think of a lot worse ways to pass.

Professional Crastinator
    I read this yesterday and have been pondering it and considering my near misses that could have turned catastrophic.

Anyone can read and plan, but without more experience it really is hard to know what "being prepared" really means. And "experience" isn't just years of enjoying an activity or living in an area. Sometimes it takes a few near misses or mishaps to make even the most avid enthusiast realize how far bad a normal scenario can turn. Even with that realization, though, the individual weighs their options to "bring everything" or travel light. Maybe this guy pushed his luck too far. Maybe he's never had a mishap in all his years outdoors. Maybe when he left the house he really thought he was up for the challenge. It certainly is a sad story, but it will likely encourage others to evaluate their own situations more critically.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

The Turbo Blaster
    The guy was incredibly foolish and woefully underprepared for his trip. It's completely absurd to blame the search and rescue team for his death.

But I'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint about the so-called search and rescue team. I think it is a really valid point that if six volunteers can go out into the darkness and find him without any trouble, then why couldn't the official search and rescue team? I have to question their commitment. What is the point of having a search and rescue team that won't even search much less rescue? If you won't do the job when it needs doing, then clearly this isn't a job for you. Obviously, there are at least six volunteers who are willing to do the job, because they are the ones who did it. So maybe they should be the new search and rescue team for Riverside County?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tragic tale. A 10 oz rain coat and a lighter might have saved his life. I always plan for what if. An extra food bar and an extra layer is always with me. I have used my compass, lighter, knife and duct tape on different rides.

Dirt, Sweat and Gears

Re: mountain biker froze to death, sad story

Quote Originally Posted by mr_spin View Post
    The guy was incredibly foolish and woefully underprepared for his trip. It's completely absurd to blame the search and rescue team for his death.

But I'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint about the so-called search and rescue team. I think it is a really valid point that if six volunteers can go out into the darkness and find him without any trouble, then why couldn't the official search and rescue team? I have to question their commitment. What is the point of having a search and rescue team that won't even search much less rescue? If you won't do the job when it needs doing, then clearly this isn't a job for you. Obviously, there are at least six volunteers who are willing to do the job, because they are the ones who did it. So maybe they should be the new search and rescue team for Riverside County?
    Until you're the one making the calls for the SAR team, I wouldn't question it too much. The guy who made the call has to weigh the risk of endangering his team to the possibilities of finding who they are looking for.

As much as some people don't like it, they have no legal obligation to help someone and do it out of their own kindness.

If I was making the calls and it looked like there was a good chance my team would get hurt, I would make the same call.

Kudos to the volunteers for doing something. We don't know enough to determine however if the "ease" of finding the missing biker had anything to do with something other than luck. Since no one was with him we can't know if he would have been found in time had a team found him sooner.

It is a tragedy and I feel for his family, but the fault lays squarely on his own decisions and unpreparedness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    it's a tragic death.

there is no place to hide from the wet (rain or splatter) on a bike. being wet increases the effect of wind chill exponentially. so once your so cold you are shivering, you cannot get the legs pumping enough blood to raise your core temperature without the cold wet wind bleeding it all away. no matter how warm it is, if i'm going out for the day, a wind/rain layer (thin and nearly weightless will do!) is ALWAYS a layer I carry. and if you are riding in an area where the local search and rescue is afraid of bad weather conditions, i'd carry even more.

The Turbo Blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk3Niner View Post
    Until you're the one making the calls for the SAR team, I wouldn't question it too much. The guy who made the call has to weigh the risk of endangering his team to the possibilities of finding who they are looking for.

As much as some people don't like it, they have no legal obligation to help someone and do it out of their own kindness.

If I was making the calls and it looked like there was a good chance my team would get hurt, I would make the same call.

Kudos to the volunteers for doing something. We don't know enough to determine however if the "ease" of finding the missing biker had anything to do with something other than luck. Since no one was with him we can't know if he would have been found in time had a team found him sooner.

It is a tragedy and I feel for his family, but the fault lays squarely on his own decisions and unpreparedness.
    Again, the fault is his. No question. No disagreement whatsoever. But I still question the point of having a SAR team that won't SAR. Yes, there is risk, but everyone volunteers for SAR. No one is forced to do it. You know the risk when you signed up for the job, and you know the day might come when you will be called on to take that risk. If you aren't willing to do it, then stop pretending, because I'd rather have no SAR team than have one that only goes out when there is no risk. Because, what's the difference?

Dirt, Sweat and Gears

Re: mountain biker froze to death, sad story

Again, the fault is his. No question. No disagreement whatsoever. But I still question the point of having a SAR team that won't SAR. Yes, there is risk, but everyone volunteers for SAR. No one is forced to do it. You know the risk when you signed up for the job, and you know the day might come when you will be called on to take that risk. If you aren't willing to do it, then stop pretending, because I'd rather have no SAR team than have one that only goes out when there is no risk. Because, what's the difference?
    There is always a risk. It just depends on how bad. Sending a team in, if it looked almost certain that they would get lost in a blizzard for example, would be dumb.

I can't speak to what the conditions were on this mountain because I don't know, but if a trained SAR team calls off because it's too dangerous I'm not going to call them pointless for it.

I can't imagine the decision was made lightly. The kind of people who do SAR aren't the kind of people that will just let someone who needs help go with out it for no good reason.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sad story, and my thoughts go out to his family. I always carry a bag of the "10 Essentials" in my Camelbak, and I always pack at least a windshirt as an extra layer (and a puffy if its cold out) in my pack. I've also gotten in the habit of sending a txt message to a friend if I'm riding solo, letting them know where I'm riding and when I expect to return. It doesn't take much to turn a fun ride into an epic, or worse...

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    For those judging the rescuers;

First rule of rescue - As a rescuer, do not put yourself into a position that you will have to be rescued.

Don't make things worse -- Granted it is not the same situation, the rules apply the same

The heart-breaking decision to suspend rescue operations knowing someone may be trapped in the rubble of a collapsed building as happened in Elliot Lake, Ont. is among the hardest for first responders to make, experts said Tuesday.

At the same time, they said, their top priority must be to ensure that rescuers dont add to the tragedy by themselves becoming casualties.

Its the most difficult thing for a first responder to cease operations because its not what we do, its not what we want to do, said Jim Young, who heads up the urban search and rescue task force in Vancouver.

It is sad. I don't know why he went out seemingly so under prepared. Wishes to the surviving family.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

I didn't do it
    People can't count on Search and Rescue because they have to weigh a variety of factors when deciding on when to head out. If you head out to something in the outdoors in rough terrain don't expect them to come and rescue you. But Search and Rescue teams get people out of jams all the time, you know that. So having these resources is well worth it.

They are not pretending, I couldn't disagree more with that statement. They are dedicated individuals, many of whom are volunteers but they are not under any obligation to risk their lives - that has never been part of the job description. They do go out with some risk but at the same time they will mitigate that risk and if they determine conditions are too severe then they will make the call to stay grounded.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast