Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 138
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    If you are not going to be prepared for an emergency situation, at least be prepared for an emergency Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) | ACR ARTEX
    A PLB or similar (SPOT, etc.) type device is wonderful to helping make the "search" part of SAR much simpler.

    It will not necessarily make the "rescue" part any easier. Bad weather, difficulty of access and/or evacuation, and other objective hazards may mean a rescue will still take hours.

    As others have noted, being prepared is the key and has to go beyond a cell phone or other emergency signaling device. You may be in pain or uncomfortable, but you will dramatically improve your odds of a positive outcome if you can stay warm, dry and hydrated. The converse is sadly true as well. Stack the odds in your favor.

    Other posters have mentioned bivy sacks and emergency blankets. One of the cheapest, easiest, lightest and functional pieces of emergency equipment you can carry is a large heavy duty trash bag. Tear a hole in it for your head and arms and put it on like a poncho and voila, you have a waterproof shelter that will cut the wind and keep the rain off. I have seen it contribute directly to the survival of victims that would not have made it otherwise.

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    Hypothermia can sneak up on you and by the time you have it you may not be able to reverse it on your own. There was an incident where 7 people were canoeing and they decided to jump in for a swim. When searchers found them they were all dead just floating in the water. Why did they not get out of the water? Once you have hypothermia you can actually start feeling warmer.

    Years back I was hunting all day from a treestand. When I got down and started warming up I could not stop shaking. It took about two hrs for me to stop shaking. I'm certain that if I had stayed there much longer I never would have left. My condolences to Mr Marin's family.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,263
    [QUOTE=RossJamis;11058215... There was an incident where 7 people were canoeing and they decided to jump in for a swim. When searchers found them they were all dead just floating in the water. Why did they not get out of the water? ...[/QUOTE]

    A dangerous scenario for water sports occurs in the spring: warm air, icy cold water. When you hit sufficiently cold water, there's a thermal shock that is immediately disabling, seriously reducing your ability to think straight or perform physically. Perhaps that is what happened in the incident you describe.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Njhardrock View Post
    This thread should be locked... A guy died and all people have to say is what ( they ) would do or how he didn't prepare enough....common guys none of us were there be adults and if you don't have anything positive to say then shut the f up..... Stuff happens you don't know what happened so don't assume the worst....

    My regards to to his family real shame 4 kids lost a dad....
    Ah .. but those reading this thread can learn from his mistakes to avoid the same possible fate should this happen to them.

    My cell phone is in a Mophie case .. flip the switch and it recharges my dead cell phone to full power for another 10 hours. Just an idea if anyone is interested.

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    Cell phones are great when they work but I have biked/hiked many areas where I could not get service. I think its really important to be able to keep yourself warm till you are found and that means food/shelter and a way to start a fire. I have a fire starter kit inside my seat tube on my bike.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Cell phones are great when they work but I have biked/hiked many areas where I could not get service. I think its really important to be able to keep yourself warm till you are found and that means food/shelter and a way to start a fire. I have a fire starter kit inside my seat tube on my bike.
    Where I live .. plenty of towers so reception not much of a problem, but you are absolutely correct with what you have just in case for shelter, fire. I have the same packed away in a small backpack (and protection)

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    What I have found is even in areas where there are plenty of towers you can lose reception in small areas.. One place I always lose reception is actually right next to a cell phone tower. In a worse case scenario you could break a leg or otherwise be immobilized and not be able to traverse the distance to an area where your phone works. Its always best to plan for the worst. I would also strongly suggest that people practice making a fire in adverse conditions. You should be able to start a fire with matches and only stuff you can find on hand in the woods.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  8. #83
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,528
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    You should be able to start a fire with matches and only stuff you can find on hand in the woods.
    Like magnesium pedals!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    I would also strongly suggest that people practice making a fire in adverse conditions. You should be able to start a fire with matches and only stuff you can find on hand in the woods.
    Matches fail too easily, especially if they get wet or even try to start a fire in rain. I have a *Blast Match* which is better.

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Matches fail too easily, especially if they get wet or even try to start a fire in rain. I have a *Blast Match* which is better.

    That's the point you need to be able to start a fire with minimal equipment. Then carry what works best. I've seen many people that could not start a fire with newspaper and dry firewood. If you can not start one and keep it going in favorable conditions you will not be able to do it when your life depends on it.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  11. #86
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    That's the point you need to be able to start a fire with minimal equipment. Then carry what works best. I've seen many people that could not start a fire with newspaper and dry firewood. If you can not start one and keep it going in favorable conditions you will not be able to do it when your life depends on it.
    i always carry a lighter and some toilet paper with me...

  12. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i always carry a lighter and some toilet paper with me...
    Save the TP for other purposes and go with clothes dryer lint .. you can compress quite a bit in a small plastic bag and it works better. Soak it in some vasoline.

  13. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lotusdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Given his confused and disoriented state when he called his wife I wonder if he'd crashed and was suffering concussion symptoms. Hypothermia can cause similar symptoms though, so who's to say? That's the thing that a lot of people don't get about hypothermia is that it doesn't have to be that cold to die from it. 40-45 degrees F and wet for several hours is plenty cold to kill.

    Sad story. As one who also rides solo in remote locations (and has crashed and been disoriented from a concussion) it really made me take a little re-assessment of my preparedness level.

    I was riding a local loop recently and came off, falling fairly hard on my right side. There were no broken bones or anything, but the fall really messed me up.

    I was dressed for the cold weather, with a waterproof lined jacket and tights etc. but still got wet on my right side as I fell into a gully with standing water.
    I got back on the bike but I was shivering and suddenly felt cold. My arm hurt and I had to ride pretty much one handed.Fortunately I was near to home as I would not have liked to ride any distance in that state.

    I'm guessing this guy fell off, and ended up in a similar state. He stopped riding at his normal speed and got cold.

    It's really sad. But I'm surprised he went out so lightly dressed in those conditions.

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbr6fs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Cell phones are great when they work but I have biked/hiked many areas where I could not get service. I think its really important to be able to keep yourself warm till you are found and that means food/shelter and a way to start a fire. I have a fire starter kit inside my seat tube on my bike.
    Had a few pretty serious injuries myself MTBing over the years, had hiking buddies that have injured themselves and have come across several people on the trail with injuries.

    In my experience there is no one thing that puts someone in a life threatening situation, it's a catalogue of events and choices that lead up to that point.

    It's easy to sit here and imagine how we'd act under certain situations, in the real world though we're confused, frightened, hungry, severely cold/hot and often dehydrated.
    Any one of these things will make a MASSIVE impact on our decision making process, added together clear thinking often goes out the window.

    In mild conditions we could "get away" with just sitting down and waiting, throw in colder or even hotter weather though and our window for getting rescued gets dramatically smaller.

    Fire would be fantastic in cold conditions, as not only does it keep you warm both the smoke and the fire are excellent signalling tools.
    Problem is though for a fire to be effective at giving enough warmth it will need a LOT of fuel, if you're injured that's going to be extremely difficult to provide.

    It's also extremely difficult to get a fire started in the conditions it's likely to be needed (cold and wet or even snow).
    You'll need to find decent tinder, then dry twigs, even then if it's really damp you'll struggle to get larger logs dry enough to burn.

    I'm pretty good at getting camp fires going with the most basic of tools, i've succeeded many times in getting a fire from bow drills, hand drills and a few other friction fire methods (it's something of a hobby), i still wouldn't bet my life that i could get a decent fire going 100% of the time even with my fire starter kit.
    Give me a axe and a decent fixed blade and i'd say i could do it 99 times out of 100, but if we start taking Axes with us then we're not really MTBing any more we're camping.

    A emergency bivvy bag is light weight and a effective shelter and heat retention device.
    If it's really cold though then it's not enough by itself to stave off hypothermia, you'll need enough warm clothing as well.

    That's another thing.
    If it's wet and your clothing is wet through, then it might sound crazy, but with fabrics like cotton you'll do better going commando as the wet fabric will act like a large heat sink effectively wicking heat away from your body.
    Interesting story here of a woman lost for 11 days, it was only the forethought of stripping off her wet clothings and determination that kept her alive.
    Lost:..... NAKED 11 days in "ALASKA"
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

  15. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    A small emergency blanket to wrap up in while clothes are drying out. They can be found in the sporting goods/camping aisles at Walmart, Cabela etc. They are very small and lightweight. Your back pack shouldn't be without one.

  16. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbr6fs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    A small emergency blanket to wrap up in while clothes are drying out. They can be found in the sporting goods/camping aisles at Walmart, Cabela etc. They are very small and lightweight. Your back pack shouldn't be without one.
    Problem with emergency blankets is, they only reflect heat so your body needs to be putting out heat enough for the blanket to be effective.
    Granted if we are alive our bodies put out heat BUT a lot of the heat a silver foil type emergency blanket gets is lost through convection, so they don't reflect 100% of the heat they receive, this is fine for most circumstances but if you approaching hypothermia then your body is already starting to shut down so they'll be even less use.

    If you are wearing clothing that insulate up your body temperature these blankets are a great addition, but on their own they provide very little in the way of insulation.


    If you were to stand up and do star jumps for say 1 min every 10 mins your body would generate heat that the blanket would then reflect, so that'd be better.


    I used to carry a couple as they're light and take up very little pack space, but after experimenting with them as a warmth device i felt they were very limited.
    Best way i found of using them is to wear them between me and my sleeping bag, as they don't breath though condensation from sweat becomes a problem half way through the night.

    They do make fantastic reflectors when placed a suitable distance behind a fire though, add a bit of a curve to them and you can even direct a lot of heat towards you even from a small fire.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

  17. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,194
    Don't forget the large plastic bag! As someone pointed out, put hole in a hole to poke you head through and maybe two for your arms and you can keep riding. Also, a fleece ear warmer head band or a fleece cap that can fit under you helmet can do wonders to keep you from getting chilled in the first place. Thanks to all who are posting information that can keep an emergency from turning into tragedy.

  18. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
    Problem with emergency blankets is, they only reflect heat so your body needs to be putting out heat enough for the blanket to be effective.
    Granted if we are alive our bodies put out heat BUT a lot of the heat a silver foil type emergency blanket gets is lost through convection, so they don't reflect 100% of the heat they receive, this is fine for most circumstances but if you approaching hypothermia then your body is already starting to shut down so they'll be even less use.

    If you are wearing clothing that insulate up your body temperature these blankets are a great addition, but on their own they provide very little in the way of insulation.


    If you were to stand up and do star jumps for say 1 min every 10 mins your body would generate heat that the blanket would then reflect, so that'd be better.


    I used to carry a couple as they're light and take up very little pack space, but after experimenting with them as a warmth device i felt they were very limited.
    Best way i found of using them is to wear them between me and my sleeping bag, as they don't breath though condensation from sweat becomes a problem half way through the night.

    They do make fantastic reflectors when placed a suitable distance behind a fire though, add a bit of a curve to them and you can even direct a lot of heat towards you even from a small fire.
    This was my point. Although not perfect, it's better than nothing when drying out with a fire.

  19. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    The other benefit to a space blanket is using it as a temporary shelter to keep the rain off of you. Just wrapping it over you when its raining is going to keep you much warmer then not. One other thing that I would say is a must have is dry clothing to change into when you stop moving. I don't know about anybody else but my clothes are pretty sweat soaked when I ride and this makes them pretty useless for heat retention when you stop moving. I think the minimum you should carry is a warm hat and a fleece/jacket. Even on short stops you can slip on the jacket to keep from getting chilled.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  20. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    960
    A fire for warmth or signal was likely not an option in this case. Everything was wet from extremely heavy rainfall just prior to his ride. Also, signal fires have started wildfires in multiple cases.

    I wonder how many suggesting a "space" blanket have used one. I wouldn't bother packing one – way too fragile. One wrong movement on anything but smooth ground and that thing is split wide open. The main danger with these IMO is thinking you have a decent shelter when you really don't. I'd sooner bring trash bag or a light storm shell with a hood.

    Clothes drying in cold/dank conditions? Good luck. I just did it a couple months ago, after attempting impromptu bivy in a rain/snow storm with a mylar "space" blanket. (Note to self: don't forget storm-worthy bivy bag.) Clothes dried, but took hours in an ideal natural shelter, after spending untold effort and time locating/collecting dry fuel. Not a practical activity for someone injured or otherwise incapacitated.

    A spare dry upper body layer, even a super thin one, works instantly and allows activity to happen, unlike a bivy or mylar bag. Size your storm shell on the generous size so you can sit with your whole self under it.

    Buck up and buy a locator beacon. Like a small first aid kit, you don't even know it's in your pack. It may not be a fail-safe, but if you're immobilized or in trouble, it adds a layer of possible solution to your situation by turning a SAR into a rescue only.


    PS: Tone's: Thank you.

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbr6fs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    This was my point. Although not perfect, it's better than nothing when drying out with a fire.
    The thing is Kris how many MTBers have the equipment and skills necessary to create and maintain a fire on what is likely to be a very cold and/or wet day?

    As i say primitive fire starting techniques is a bit of a hobby for me, it's something i've been experimenting with for many years in many different environments and conditions.

    If you dumped me in a stressful situation on a soaked hillside in the rain even with a firesteel i'd still struggle to get a fire going long enough to dry out larger logs.
    If i had a axe i could split the wood to get to the drier parts, i'd even consider using a decent knife to baton the log, or a silky saw to split it.

    But like i said how many take a axe, good solid knife or saw on their usual local rides?

    A inner tube or tyre would make a fantastic bit of fuel (i use inner tubes cut into ranger bands for to keep my fire starting kit dry and closed as they also make great fire starters), they also put off a fair amount of smoke so great for showing your location on less windy days.
    You'd still struggle to get enough heat and burn time to dry out larger logs enough for them to burn though.


    All things considered starting a fire would be a great boost to both your moral, chances of being found and chances of surviving a cold wet night.
    Personally though i pack enough clothing and kit (emergency bivvy bag) so as to be able to survive a cold, wet miserable night without NEEDING a fire.

    I do this as even though i'm experienced in getting a fire going with limited resources, i don't always ride in wooded areas and i can't guarantee i could get a good fire going even if i was unless i had an axe or at least a strong fixed blade knife or saw.

    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    The other benefit to a space blanket is using it as a temporary shelter to keep the rain off of you. Just wrapping it over you when its raining is going to keep you much warmer then not. One other thing that I would say is a must have is dry clothing to change into when you stop moving. I don't know about anybody else but my clothes are pretty sweat soaked when I ride and this makes them pretty useless for heat retention when you stop moving. I think the minimum you should carry is a warm hat and a fleece/jacket. Even on short stops you can slip on the jacket to keep from getting chilled.
    Good points

    It's tough because MTBing is such a high energy activity when we're riding even in really cold conditions all we usually need is a thin base layer with a windproof outer layer.
    When we stop though the cold really starts to seep in.

    Might be worth thinking:
    Do i have enough warmth and waterproof layers to keep me fairly comfortable for say a 1 hour stop for lunch?

    When hiking in winter i throw in a old belay jacket into my rucksack, it packs small, is fair light, fairly water resistant and it's synthetic filling still retains some warmth when wet.
    To be honest i rarely take it MTBing though.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post

    I wonder how many suggesting a "space" blanket have used one. I wouldn't bother packing one – way too fragile. One wrong movement on anything but smooth ground and that thing is split wide open. The main danger with these IMO is thinking you have a decent shelter when you really don't. I'd sooner bring trash bag or a light storm shell with a hood.
    I'm pretty sure at least one of us has not used a space blanket. There are no seams to split open on a space blanket. I think you are talking about a space bag.. A friend of a friend took one of those on a backpacking trip. He was laughing at the others because they were carrying heavy bags. His laughing stopped when he froze all night long. I have had the same space blanket for 30 years and its still in one piece. And no its not still in the package. They are not perfect but they are better then having nothing.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

  23. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JookupVandetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    35
    Very sad story. In hindsight a lot could have been done differently from everyone involved.

    This story make me wonder though about Strava. As most of you know it's an app a lot of us use to mark our rides. I wonder if it's possible for Strava to be contacted in an emergency and access the riders account to find the location. I know if you upload the ride your friends can see it but what if your phone dies?

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    I'm pretty sure at least one of us has not used a space blanket. There are no seams to split open on a space blanket. I think you are talking about a space bag..
    I do see that quilted thingamajig you're calling a space blanket, but conventionally, those too-thin mylar rigs are known as space blankets.

    space blanket - Google Search


    Space bags are here:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=spac...=isch&imgdii=_

    Nomenclature aside, point taken. I'd feel infinitely more confident with a multi-layer number like yours than, essentially, a cellophane bivy bag. But I would carry a light storm shell before either. Cheers...

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10
    I'm glad to see the discussion focusing on what we can do to avoid tragedies like this in the future.

    There are other things that can greatly improve your chances of being found if something happens. It is surprisingly difficult to spot things from the air and it is not unusual for helicopters to fly right over people and not see them. Being able to signal for help effectively is important.

    A whistle is very light and the sound travels a LONG way. It also takes very little effort to use and is far less taxing than shouting for help. Mirrors are great for signalling aircraft or ground searchers from long distances and a flashing on a hillside will definitely get checked out. Finally, a simple light source - chemical light stick or flash from a camera can be seen very easily if night vision equipment is being used. That small fire you lit is going to be very visible as well. Brightly colored clothing will also help the SAR team spot you.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 08:23 AM
  2. Death of the dirtbag mountain biker.
    By Nat in forum Oregon
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM
  4. anyone know about this story, biker injured mandeville canyon
    By jasonjm in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
  5. The Death of Mountain Cycle
    By Ericmopar in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •