Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Motorcycle carrying mountain bike?

Ah, got your attention there! Hello, I am a scooter owner who has been carrying my surfboards to the beach on my bike for a couple years in Southern California. Here are a couple photos of the rig.

Now, I am considering selling this retro bike and buying a Honda Silverwing, a big freeway scooter that can do 100 mph and I think I can strap a mountain bike or a surfboard to the side. You would take the front wheel off, place the bike with rear wheel facing toward the front of the bike, and put the handlebars facing to the back (high up out of the way of the turn signals). Front wheel goes on the other side. The bike may well rest on the passenger foot peg or something that I build that would come off the passenger or perhaps the exhaust hanger.

I tested the mountain bike on the retro scooter in the pictures today. If I rest the crank where it meets the bottom bracket on the chrome "sissy bars" that wrap around the whole rear of the bike its pretty easy to strap it on securely. The front wheel goes on the other side.

Questions:

Is it bad to rest the bike on the crank here where it might be hitting bumps on the road? I put pipe insulation to cushion it here against the steel sissy bar.

Has anyone ever seen anyone else with a mountain bike on a motorcycle?

Am I totally crazy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rolling
    Yes.

and full circle...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've seen it done a few ways on a few motorcycles. Owners seem happy with it.

I would advise against the surfboard on the freeway, however. Wind drafts caused by mother nature and/or other vehicles could be big trouble.

I dream on two wheels
    I've been thinking about doing this for a couple years now. There was a guy in Oregon I talked to who made a couple different bike racks for motorcycles but I don't know what happened to him. Here are some other links.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=101906

http://www.bikeaddict.com/products/m...ike-racks.html

Im getting closer to building some sort of bike rack for my motorcycle the more gas prices go up.

-Simon

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Here's mine.

2005 Majesty, 60mpg.

I dream on two wheels
    What do you have supporting the bottom of the bike?

-Simon

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i would be so happy if I could figure out how to mount my mountain bike to my sv650. jesus, that would be awesome. more info please!

A friend of mine has two mounts on his motorcycle that he designed himself, so he and his girlfriend can go riding together...he's lurking around here somewheres, maybe he'll pipe in and share
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

wanna dance?
    Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat billy boy...

Duplicate post! Arrrrrr...

wanna dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Yes.

Nice Lidar. A client just gave me a 96 Honda Rebel, and I'm thinking of making a simple rack for it, from a couple pieces of .5" plate 6061 and some reynolds carbon tubing here... This looks even easier. A fork mount bolted to a box lid, and a pivoting v-block with a velcro strap, to hold the downtube down at whatever angle it falls to. Could probably make that from a wood block with a knife and a few beers. Thanks for the idear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Here's mine

I built this in an afternoon.

A fork mount, 2x4's and some misc. hardware.
    No mod.'s to the MC
    BB sits in 'V' cut out in PVC fitting (topview).
    One wheel strapped each side(nylon webbing)
    Riding gear in backpack across Hbars.
    Friend (with car/truck) required at trailhead to stow MC stuff while MTBing.
    MTB fork is perfect back rest.
    Tested at, well...highway speeds...
    (posted before as cycle cycle rack thread)
    Last edited by Tilos; 05-17-2008 at 04:35 PM.

wanna dance?
    A friend of mine sent me this Duc. That rack almost looks like it might be a production job.
    I'd think it'd wag pretty noticably though. Just a guess.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Been done before.......

Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk
    Ah, got your attention there!.......Has anyone ever seen anyone else with a mountain bike on a motorcycle?

Am I totally crazy?
    Hi Mr. Monk,

This is a picutre of Zak carrying his dog, kayak and mt bike on his motorcycle so.....no you're not crazy for for wanting to carry just a mt bike on your motorcycle. Some might even call you conservative.

Zak on his motorcycle carrying dog, kayak and mt bike.jpg

Have fun,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

giggling bastard
    That is a "production job" on the Ducati in that picture. It belongs to a guy who's selling these now: www.johnnyrack.com

We had another thread about this a while back; glad this topic is coming back around.

James! Get in here!
    Perfection is my middle name
    and whatever rhymes with eloquent

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Look in here if you dare No, No Cars > Motorbike + Bicycles = Happyness

I takes all kinds too.

day or Night.

Rain or Shine.

giggling bastard
    Hey, thesergeant,
    Look closely; there are TWO SV650's carrying bicycles in this picture.
    Perfection is my middle name
    and whatever rhymes with eloquent

mtbr member
    Very cool thread! I would love to have a BMW GS w/ a bike mount on it. There would be no better way to head to NM, CO, or UT.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    With the price of gas these days these pics might become a common sight out there on our roads.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I'm planning on going the BMW GS w bike(s) route soon - so I'm subscribing to this excellent thread. Gracias.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    I'm planning on going the BMW GS w bike(s) route soon - so I'm subscribing to this excellent thread. Gracias.
    You can get a R1100GS (1995-2000) in decent shape starting at about $4500 the R1150GS's (six speed, hydro clutch) from 2000 to 2004 from about $7000.

In my opinion the best value of all the GS's are the 2001 and 2002 GS Adventures (2003 and 2004 have servo brakes and they suck Goats) since they have a bigger tank, a Low first gear (the r1150GS are geared to high for dirt) and a bunch of other welcome features like really strong crashbars that come stock.

I will stay away from the 1200GS unless you have a lot of money, not just to buy the bike, but to pay for all the Upkeep at the dealer that can get pretty expensive, pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

they are coming out of the woodwork!

You guys are the best!

you know how these things go...you're trying to research this, and you're asking people questions...and they're looking at you like you are absolutely nuts.

Some of these setups are pretty high profile off the back of the bike.

My most important questions have been answered! It can be done, and clearly people are riding this on the freeway.

Anyone want to chime with their experiences with wind riding with this on the freeway?

Again, the beauty of the internet that nutjobs like us (I mean visionaries) have a way to connect.

I remember the first time I saw a guy on a new Vespa with a surfboard rack at Sunset Cliffs in San Diego. I ran out into the street to flag him down. I had the idea in my mind, but I could not for the life of me find a picture on the internet of anyone with a surfboard on a scooter! Y'all are right, now there's a bunch of guys riding scooters with board racks in my neighborhood, and in areas with MTB culture we're gonna see people doing this too. Its the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd
    Hey, thesergeant,
    Look closely; there are TWO SV650's carrying bicycles in this picture.
    That is so freakin' awesome. Any detailed photos of their setup or way I could find out from them?

Unfortunately I don't have the passenger seat anymore. I used it to rig up a case mount. Any more info is greatly appreciated. You cars are awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm surprised nobody has built a trailer. Some guys at the MX track my department works for bring the dirt bikes trailered behind a street bike. Simple set-up leaves room for a passenger...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    I'm surprised nobody has built a trailer. Some guys at the MX track my department works for bring the dirt bikes trailered behind a street bike. Simple set-up leaves room for a passenger...
    Nate Trailers have far more restricted speed limits than motorcycle at least on the west coast.

For example on h5 from san diego to canada i can cruise at 80mph, even a little faster all day long, with a trailer i will be bound to go 55MpH and get in trouble if i go any faster.

Personally I have pull some pretty heavy loads using a trailer (to heavy, or bulky to be on top of the bike) but is not as fun.

Todd the owner of this trailer use to tow a Jetsky in the back of his goldwing 1000. on the santa cruz mountains, for many years.

Yeah all the stuff in the background, spare dirt wheels, bicycles, plus a bunch of product (for my company) all on the bike.

Plus loading strange stuff on the bike is always so much fun..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

My own feeble attempt

Well it looks like I'm going to wait a couple months on the Silverwing. However that doesn't mean I neccessarily have to wait to try this out!

Rode this to work today and it is pretty solid. It is blowing crazy hard today in Socal and it was more stable than if I had a surfboard on the side. I will have to raise up the bike a couple inches with shims in order to get better clearance in turns though!

Again Patineto, you...are a freaking mad genius. With that series of pictures where you show how the rack works I am blown away, and I had to look at the pictures several times to figure out how you used the Rhode gear rack pivots so that everything can move around.

I did show my girlfriend all of the pictures to explain that my plan is "conservative".

Hope this wet weather isn't going to derail my after work riding plans...
    Last edited by chipmonk; 05-23-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast