Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk

Again Patineto, you...are a freaking mad genius. With that series of pictures where you show how the rack works I am blown away, and I had to look at the pictures several times to figure out how you used the Rhode gear rack pivots so that everything can move around.
    Oh senor, sorry if is to complicated to understand and see how it works, I'm pretty lame with computers and i don't really know how to place tittles on things..

Yes I can carry something as short as a Trackbike on one side and something as long as one of my downhill bikes on the other all thanks to all the possible adjustment and flexibility of the design, also my tandem but I do confess I'm working on a more sound design to carry that monster since is so freaking long and top heavy,

Here you can find Details of how my megacheppo rack was constructed, just remenber it was made in 3 hours 12 years ago out of whatever i can find a the dumpster of the bicycle shop i was working at, so is not like is a master piece of Bling or CNC work, but for sure has work really well for many miles and adventures..

plus Details of how the bikes are Mounted

But even better here you can find a bunch of different concepts that I explore about 10 years ago, in hopes of getting a few patents, sadly they are way to many ambulance chasing lawyers around here and a project like this will never really happen.

The rack that never happen.

Last edited by patineto; 05-23-2008 at 08:44 PM.

take a picture
    its cooler to carry it on a bicycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2
    its cooler to carry it on a bicycle

Cool picture Derek.

Personally I build my MotoRack, because the distances on this country as so bast, I never have the time or even the legs to cover them pedaling so i need a faster way "to get there" if I'm just going a short distance I pedal the bike, unless is broken or not completely build.

In the past I have carry a few bikes for short distances mounting them upside down on the back of my tandem using the stocker handlebars to attach the bike bars and the seat to support the bike seat, works really well is simple and you don't need any specialized structures to achieve the objective.

You just need to take the front wheel off (it will hit you in the back) and three straps, even toe straps will do for the handlebars but a longer strap is need it for the seat some old rags so nothing get scratch and presto, I have never try this system with hydro brakes, but I'm pretty sure they will not like it much.

i am, therefore, i ride
    I made use of my old and regular bike carrier. Nothing fancy and works great. You don't even know it's there when riding on the freeway. Other drivers keep taking pictures of it though, I guess they haven't seen one in Houston yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    I made use of my old and regular bike carrier. Nothing fancy and works great. You don't even know it's there when riding on the freeway. Other drivers keep taking pictures of it though, I guess they haven't seen one in Houston yet.
    haha, that's awesome! you ever ride your beemer out to ming's in montrose on thursday nights? pretty decent euro-bike crowd, i ride my ducati there every now and then...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    [SIZE="3"]I have a motorcycle and I would never think of doing this.

How many of you have been pulled over by the Police for it?

To each their own

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikergal78

To each their own

[/SIZE]
    it's better than carrying another person

push-bike carry racks have been around for both on and offroad motorbikes for about as long as they have been around for autos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And Your Life will change if you did

12 years and many, many miles with my rack carrying tons of strange, funky and heavy stuff around, so far never a problem, Even if I'm being stop because I made a traffic mistake, they never bother me about the rack, except for asking how it was made, if anything having the bikes and the rack save me from a few tickets.

To each their own
    [/SIZE]
    That is kind of the Fun part too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul

push-bike carry racks have been around for both on and offroad motorbikes for about as long as they have been around for autos.
    Really Paul do you have old pictures from them..?

i will love to see how they approach the challenge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Pulled Over For What??

To each their own

[/SIZE]
    No obscured tag or lights (aka a hitch rack on a car/truck).
    No obscured rear vision (aka a trunk rack on a car).
    Am I missing something here, pulled over for what?
    Getting 50 mpg?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    it's better than carrying another person
    [SIZE="3"]Ha... yeah it is lighter than another person. I don't like riding 2 up anyways though... I am a little on the small side so 1 person (myself) and the bike is enough

I was just curious if anyone was stopped before thats all...

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto
    Really Paul do you have old pictures from them..?

i will love to see how they approach the challenge.
    not right off hand, but search around the advrider.com forums, an you'll see all that and more

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    not right off hand, but search around the advrider.com forums, an you'll see all that and more
    Oh Paul I'm member #900 something and I have never seeing any older photos. .

please send us the link if you can find it.

ride the moment
    My friend said he saw a dude with an enduro bike that had a small dog crate mounted on the back. If I could stick a dog crate and a bike on something that could take the gravel it would be the business for sure.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

i am, therefore, i ride
    haha, that's awesome! you ever ride your beemer out to ming's in montrose on thursday nights? pretty decent euro-bike crowd, i ride my ducati there every now and then...
    Never been to Ming's but I go to the business meeting and social nights on Thursdays at Hickory Hollow at the Heights. BMW Club of Houston holds the meeting at 7 pm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilos
    No obscured tag or lights (aka a hitch rack on a car/truck).
    No obscured rear vision (aka a trunk rack on a car).
    Am I missing something here, pulled over for what?
    Getting 50 mpg?
    Actually is a law in the traffic code that state that you are not allowed to have anything 16" behind the rear axle of the bike A.K.A. About two inches farder back from the rear wheel, but I never see it enforce at least not so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    My friend said he saw a dude with an enduro bike that had a small dog crate mounted on the back. If I could stick a dog crate and a bike on something that could take the gravel it would be the business for sure.
    Oh senor is being done a million times already, let me look for pictures.

I think they even sell a "dog cage" for bikes already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

yes, we have that.

Check, we have Xtracycle! They are awesome, and I would never have had any of these ideas without the Xtracycle showing me what is possible. I used the Xtracycle to deliver things on the boardwalk in Mission Beach to the vacation rentals that I manage. I have put crazy things on an xtracycle...ladders, huge Tv's, microwaves, propane tanks, you name it.

Yeah, I am just too far from our riding areas here in SD to cycle there unfortunately. For me it is an after work thing so I've gotta be able to jam out there.

As far as the cops, I've included a pic of me carrying a longboard on my scooter. Initially, I put a flag on the back to try to show that I was being careful. I eventually stopped doing that because none of the cops around here care about it. I even asked some police who were at a surf spot once to ask them if they felt that it was OK the way I had it set up. They said they didn't see anything wrong with it. So the law about nothing extending more than 16" beyond the axle is not well known, and probably not a big problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto
    Actually is a law in the traffic code that state that you are not allowed to have anything 16" behind the rear axle of the bike A.K.A. About two inches farder back from the rear wheel, but I never see it enforce at least not so far.
    I'm not sure what Law in what State you are referring to but here in Texas, a bicycle rack is clearly exempt from the Obscured License Plate Law:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/

Subsection (a)(7) may not be construed to apply to:

"(1) a trailer hitch installed on a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;

(2) a transponder, as defined by Section 228.057, that is attached to a vehicle in the manner required by the issuing authority;

(3) a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;

(4) a trailer being towed by a vehicle; or

(5) a bicycle rack that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner.
    "

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    I'm not sure what Law in what State you are referring to but here in Texas, a bicycle rack is clearly exempt from the Obscured License Plate Law:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/

Subsection (a)(7) may not be construed to apply to:

"(1) a trailer hitch installed on a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;

(2) a transponder, as defined by Section 228.057, that is attached to a vehicle in the manner required by the issuing authority;

(3) a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;

(4) a trailer being towed by a vehicle; or

(5) a bicycle rack that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner.
    "
    I live in san francisco..

I was sure this same rule on the california code aplly all over the nation.

It has nothing to do with license plate visibility is more about how much it can protrudes in the back of the motorcycle.

As you can see i'm pretty "Redundant" with my lights and very careful not to obstruct the view of the licence plate.

From the Top.
    *LED rail.
    *Dual bulb brake light (the GS has a single bulb)
    *SV650 aftermarket brake light with working turnsignals.

I have also carry many heavy loads on the freeways..

with out any troubles.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk
    Am I totally crazy?
    Not crazy, but I would caution to be careful. I ride both bikes and motorcycles but don't think I'd be up for both in the same day if the moto portion were at all significant (more than 15-20 minutes say). Both take too much awareness esp if you are riding technical trails or twisties. I've thought about a rack on a motorcycle but would probably only use it to occasionally haul a bike somewhere.

You can only be so aware/attentive and are more likely to make a mistake. On a mountain bike the mistakes aren't typically as grave as on a motorcycle but even then ... after a long mtb ride it would seem that your awareness would be compromised. My $.02 ....

Eric at ITSA Bike Shop
    Sep 2007
    This is an awesome thread. I have faith now that I can carry my bike on my Monster... Good times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiccami
    This is an awesome thread. I have faith now that I can carry my bike on my Monster... Good times.
    Some bikes for sure work better than others, heavy, low engine and somehow long like the GS are ideal, but you can fabricate a nice rack almost for anything.

For "Bad" candidate, I think the stock KTM 950 is a big NoNo,, since the rear subframe is really weak and made of light weight aluminum and the attachment points to the chassis are just "Sufficient" but far from redundant to hold their own plus the extra mass and more than that added leverage.

Like Building a Big tall castle in Quick sand.

But my friend Dale did it anyway.

Now with a really nice lady that we meet at the Turkey ride on mt tam last year.

Ride Responsibly
    I have a Suzuki 1100 GK, it is a touring bike with hard bags and a trunk, have come up with many ways over the years to haul the mt. bike. First was to clamp a 1x6 across the Passenger seat to the bag supports, bolt a fork mount to one end and a strap for the rear wheel, strap the frt wheel to the bike frame.
    also found I could hang a spare tire mount bike rack onto the trunk and it is fairly secure, but the best way really is a trailer. Again the frame for the bags was used to hold a hitch receiver and I took a Harbor Freight bolt together 4x4 trailer and cut it down to 3x4. a little plywood, a box for gear, fork mt, wheel tray, even a mount for the frt wheel, times two for two bikes. and on top of all that my dog rides on the gas tank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow, I thought I was nuts looking up how to mount a bike on a bike, but then I see someones already got me beat by a dog and a kayak! I love the internet!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast