Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

The mother of all apology speeches (lance mega thread)

It's coming. Probably this weekend at the Livestrong anniversary party.

I think it will go like this:

1) He had no choice but to dope as a cyclist.
    2) He could not admit because the people with cancer were counting on him.
    3) He will now devote his remaining life to fighting cancer.

The interesting information will come in interviews afterward. I cannot see Armstrong not passing the blame around.

An interesting blog post
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

b a n n e d
    I doubt it . . . a confession would lead to substantial legal issues at this point, no? Perjury, etc.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Lance is ruined.

Now he is just some doper who was THAT much better then all the other dopers.

What a dope.

He won't say a thing and he will ignore questions about it, even though the media will be there in droves in hopes that he will say something.

Livestrong itself has been very quiet in their PR stuff lately. I have seen one blog post about Lance stepping down and one or two tidbits about moving on and trying to redirect attention to cancer patients.

I could see Lance pulling out his famous sharp tongue if the media is too pushy.

Viva la Vida!
    Better life through chemicals!
    He beat them all, including the system.
    More power to Lance.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

sock puppet

i think

that this will happen inevitably and regardless of his actions...

it'd be nice if he owned to it. it would allow most of us to move on...

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I doubt it . . . a confession would lead to substantial legal issues at this point, no? Perjury, etc.

No Stranger to danger....
    Lance wont be admitting anything, its not in his make up, he might have had the guts to cheat his way to 7 tours and beat cancer but he wont have the guts to admit and come clean on this....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    it'd be nice if he owned to it. it would allow most of us to move on...
    You really have problems if you can't move on due to Lance's doping allegations. I think the only sad thing about this whole incident is that, it is very apparent, doping is nearly the only way to compete in professional cycling (roadies).

That all said, Livestrong has, at the very least, brought a large focus the horrible illness that is cancer and the hopes to find a way to fight it. He has also been a huge influence which boosted the American passion in all forms of cycling. I would bet this also improved the health of many folks who wouldn't have cycled before this passion. More ppl are healthier and happier now from Lance's motivation to get on a bike and just pedal.

Viva la Vida!
    Pedal damn it!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    You really have problems if you can't move on due to Lance's doping allegations.
    i think you are onto something here...

That all said, Livestrong has, at the very least, brought a large focus the horrible illness that is cancer and the hopes to find a way to fight it. He has also been a huge influence which boosted the American passion in all forms of cycling. I would bet this also improved the health of many folks who wouldn't have cycled before this passion. More ppl are healthier and happier now from Lance's motivation to get on a bike and just pedal.
    maybe, if it wasn't for McDonald's and Krispy Kreme....

he could have achieved the same influence without cheating...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    "Cheating" "Ruined" LOL Lance Haters dancing on his virtual grave. Dance on, Haters.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Livestrong contributes almost nothing to actual cancer research. Interesting article in Outside a while back:

Lance Armstrong and Livestrong | Lance Armstrong | OutsideOnline.com
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Ridin' Furry
    The two most traumatizing moments of my life.... finding out Santy Claus is not real and Lance being a cheater.

Go figure.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Why would he even BE there? He stepped down from the Foundation. If it was ME, I wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the thing.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Livestrong contributes almost nothing to actual cancer research. Interesting article in Outside a while back:

Lance Armstrong and Livestrong | Lance Armstrong | OutsideOnline.com
    How many times do I have to say this? They don't claim to. The organization promotes survivorship support. They give money to orgs who provide that support and they offer support services of their own. It is an important aspect of caring for cancer patients that was not receiving much attention in the past.

I am a recipient of some of those services. Livestrong paid for me to attend a weekend survivorship retreat where I got to meet other survivors my age. I made some lifelong friends there and learned a great deal about the emotional recovery survivors go through.

The organization also works with the YMCA to provide memberships to survivors so they can get healthy again.

You don't have to fund research to be a viable cancer charity. I am a volunteer with a couple other orgs that provide survivorship support and not a dime to research. It doesn't make them any less important.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    Why would he even BE there? He stepped down from the Foundation. If it was ME, I wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the thing.
    He is still a member of the board even though he no longer leads the organization. Not to mention, the speaking engagement has likely been set for some time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskywolf View Post
    The two most traumatizing moments of my life.... finding out Santy Claus is not real and Lance being a cheater.

Go figure.
    Santa isn't real? I know you had to make that one up.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

sock puppet

don't want to argue with you

out of respect for what you've gone through, and you obviously benefited from Livestrong. if you were the only person they helped - Livestrong is worth of it's existence.

i guess one of the points that few people are trying to make is represented by this statement:

“The issue with Lance Armstrong isn’t whether he has done good for cancer victims,” accounting professor Mark Zimbelman wrote on his blog Fraudbytes, in a post comparing Mortenson to Armstrong, “but rather, whether he first cheated to beat his opponents, then used his fraudulent titles to help promote an organization that appears to do good but also enriches a fraudster.”

as far as i am concerned - that is the summary of Livestrong issue and how LA used it to project his public image as well as a powerful protection shield behind which he ran a successful cheating operation...

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    How many times do I have to say this? They don't claim to. The organization promotes survivorship support. They give money to orgs who provide that support and they offer support services of their own. It is an important aspect of caring for cancer patients that was not receiving much attention in the past.

I am a recipient of some of those services. Livestrong paid for me to attend a weekend survivorship retreat where I got to meet other survivors my age. I made some lifelong friends there and learned a great deal about the emotional recovery survivors go through.

The organization also works with the YMCA to provide memberships to survivors so they can get healthy again.

You don't have to fund research to be a viable cancer charity. I am a volunteer with a couple other orgs that provide survivorship support and not a dime to research. It doesn't make them any less important.

Yeah so Lance used his celebrity to promote Livestrong and in turn hid behind Livestrong. I get it. And how they have helped me and other cancer survivors does not excuse anything Lance has done. But big picture, here. Are you saying that cheating and being a lying aggressive @$$ by one guy outweighs the good accomplished by the organization? The previous poster and that Outside article were not even comparing that. They are saying that Livestrong does not support research and implying therefore the charity hides money and spends it suspiciously and is an overall shady organization.

The situation is FAR more complicated than that. Lance is a very complicated person and this is a complicated situation. On the one had he is supremely arrogant and has pushed to ruin people who have tried to uncover his doping and yet on the other he helped create and promote this organization that has helped so many cancer survivors.

I am saying you don't have to throw it all out. Condemn and punish the lying and cheating and all of that stuff. Let the good work continue by supporting cancer survivors locally and globally.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    "Cheating" "Ruined" LOL Lance Haters dancing on his virtual grave. Dance on, Haters.
    LOL, I think those two words are just about as spot on as you can give.
    No hating about them, they are as factual as you will get in these threads lol
    yes he cheated, and yes he is ruined, i think you are confusing 'hating' with the facts....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Parking Lot Poser
    On the one had he is supremely arrogant and has pushed to ruin people who have tried to uncover his doping and yet on the other he helped create and promote this organization that has helped so many cancer survivors.

I am saying you don't have to throw it all out. Condemn and punish the lying and cheating and all of that stuff. Let the good work continue by supporting cancer survivors locally and globally.
    Jekyll & Hyde for sure!!

Thanks for the breakdown on livestrong natehawk, I wasn't 100% sure what the organization was about.
    feelin good is good enough

~Disc~Golf~
    it is just a silly bicycle race.
    why should anyone really care
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    lance will always be the best cyclist there ever was!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah so Lance used his celebrity to promote Livestrong and in turn hid behind Livestrong. I get it. And how they have helped me and other cancer survivors does not excuse anything Lance has done. But big picture, here.

The situation is FAR more complicated than that. Lance is a very complicated person and this is a complicated situation. On the one had he is supremely arrogant and has pushed to ruin people who have tried to uncover his doping and yet on the other he helped create and promote this organization that has helped so many cancer survivors.

This is very well said. I think there are a lot of angles to this, and most folks don't sift through them.

Viva la Vida!
    I just want to ask.
    Do you guys really believe that his opponents were clean?

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast