Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    no trees are safe
    Quote Originally Posted by calboy View Post
    I'd love to................and throw a tire pump in his spokes!
    Well would be quite a catty behaviour. . He's also jerk but doesn't permission you to attack a person. And potentially damage a pretty bike!

I was expecting responses like Yes I'd go for a ride with him/No, he has sunk in my eyes too low./ Maybe... ect. But not an act as a friend and attack when not looking. That's just childish.

I apologise if you've met your post as a satire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Question for those who follow road racing Closely. Please, in your honest opinion, name the last rider to win the TDF Clean, no PEDs.

I would like to think Cadel won clean, but he met with Lance's doping doctor Ferrari in 2000, he does seem to suffer much more than the rest of the GC leaders, still doubtful.

I have to go back to 1990, Greg Lemond.
    Why do you think Lemond is cleaner than Wiggins? Neither have tested positive for band substances and testing now is much much stricter.

I thought this was an interesting article about how riders power to weight ratio in the TdF is going down as bike technology and sports medicine is improving which implies it's cleaner than it once was (it's pretty subjective though).

BBC News - Tour de France: Are drug-free cyclists slower?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Upset Forgive or forget

In the past when celebrities, sports people or politicians transgress and then come out and apologise it is our nature to say "Oh well he seems to want to make amends and we should give them the benefit of our forgiveness."

Let's not forget. He will, as another suggested, probably go back to work in the foundation and regardless of all that he looses as a result of all this still live a very good life and begin to put back the pieces.

In the end it is his journey and 'this scandal' is just a small blip in what has been a very good life, just not a life well lived. He probably will be a better person for having to suffer this humiliation, and there are many out there that won't judge him harshly, sycophants are like that, he will bounce back.

More is the pity. What about all those along the way that were trodden on, bullied and whose lives were scarred by his unrelenting ego? That damage has been done and his apology won't make them feel any better. What about the thousands of athletes who devoted their lives to honest competition? Do they get any compensation for having been robbed of their efforts?

He can piss off.

Give it a crank
    This has gone beyond being about Lance, it's now become about creating a clean path for future athletes. There's no place for Lance in it, he veered off long ago.

mtbr member
    just my take. i didn't watch it so...

everyone involved from the beginning were and are adults. they ALL didn't give a sh*t til someone turned up the heat and the moneygrab was becoming more and more in jeopardy. Lance turned on those people. Is that really a big surprise? really? I've been helping you win by cheating myself and I'm not gonna expect you to go into self-preservation mode when i do when we all get busted, knowing full well from the very beginning along the way every aspect and outcome? that's classic shyte when we would get into trouble as kids. he did it..no, he did it, he made me do it, nah unh, liar, you're a liar..

i'm not a fanboi, never been but expecting him to show any different character as the one that's been on the podium defying and denying for 7 consecutive yrs is completely unrealistic. expecting any kind or hint of atonement on oprah is laughable.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    Why do you think Lemond is cleaner than Wiggins? Neither have tested positive for band substances and testing now is much much stricter.

I thought this was an interesting article about how riders power to weight ratio in the TdF is going down as bike technology and sports medicine is improving which implies it's cleaner than it once was (it's pretty subjective though).

BBC News - Tour de France: Are drug-free cyclists slower?

1. I've watched old footage of the TDFs back to mid 80s, during Lemonds wins, the pace was much slower, much more suffering, bonking, riders on their faces. It seemed legit, in my opinion.

2. Team Sky's Performance was classic USPS, Wiggins, Froome, Roche, Rogers all tearing a$$ ! team doctor Geert Leinders was implicated as running Rabobank's program, lot's of sketchy...

You're right testing is better, and it's becoming cleaner, but not clean IMO. Testing is always behind. The Bio Passport is helping, but not fullproof, it actually allows for micro blood boosting with the range a riders hematocrit level can be.
    Last edited by snowdrifter; 01-18-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    beaver hunt

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    How do we know he was a terrific athlete because he was doping...
    lets see... because he was training while undergoing cancer treatment and because even doping (many pros do, he is just on the spotlight) most Tour de France cyclists wouldn't make it 1 time, let alone 7.
    I really don't understand why people is so surprised. Maybe they are too naive and live in a bubble.
    These are PRO. That means that if you win you get money, send your kid to college and be able to continue eating when you are old. They don't have a carreer or trade. They have a very limited sport "span". They don't ride for "fun" and they don't do it for health, they do it to win and that is called being a PRO.
    It would be nice if everyone would play nice and the field would be leveled but is not.
    That is it
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by calboy View Post
    I truly believe that because of Lance's story of achievement - near defeat - comeback; it generated soooo much media attention and MONEY through the years that the cycling community turned a blind eye. He was too big to fail. They could've took him down anytime they wanted to. Just think of all the people who got caught cheating while Lance just kept on riding.
    It was the same with Tiger Woods and all his indiscrections. Too many people making too much money. Nobody wants to cook the goose that laid the golden egg. But Tigers indiscrections were in his private life and he didn't cheat at his sport in anyway or hurt other competitors. So Armstrong's offending is on a totally different level altogether.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    You know perjury and fraud are felony offenses with minimum jail or prison sentences, right?
    It's a sport/hobby, if you wanted to chuck someone in jail for something which is totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things then half the world would be behind bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    You have no idea. Really. Not all teams were injecting junk. Not all teams were pressuring their riders to inject. Do you know any athletes who are 15 years old? Do you want them to start injecting roids so they can win whatever game they are playing?
    Ok I retract my statement. Just seems to me the whole tour was dirty. I always assumed LA was juicing to win it seven times. How could he not be? It's the dirty stuff over and above the straight out juicing that makes this case so reprehensible IMO.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    He reminds me of OJ... something's not right with him.

From "If the glove don't fit you must acquit" to "If the syringe ain't in 'im, you must acquit him".
    I read that on the internet.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieGriff View Post
    It's a sport/hobby, if you wanted to chuck someone in jail for something which is totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things then half the world would be behind bars.
    You need to do your required reading before you can participate in class discussions.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Looks like the common theme is not so much about the doping, but more about how Lance conducted himself with regards to his interactions with others along the way to victory.

Looks like most of us had come to grips with his doping (or simply doping in cycling) long ago...

AZ
    banned
    Yeah, its on like Donkey Kong. Wait til the Feds resume their hostilities.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Yeah, its on like Donkey Kong. Wait til the Feds resume their hostilities.
    Is this what our Tax dollars need to be spent on? We have Presidents lieing under oath, or deliberatly mis-leading Congress like in Benghazi, there's so much corruption that has far serious problems than BIKE RACING !!

If they want to recoup any gov money lost in all this, go for it.. But come on, USPS and Discovery Channel lost nothing in this, not a fricken penny, at the time of their sponsorship LA was the Man, bringing them loads of attention, well worth their investments.
    beaver hunt

the half breed devil
    ^^^this^^^

AZ
    banned
    Is this what our Tax dollars need to be spent on? We have Presidents lieing under oath, or deliberatly mis-leading Congress like in Benghazi, there's so much corruption that has far serious problems than BIKE RACING !!

If they want to recoup any gov money lost in all this, go for it.. But come on, USPS and Discovery Channel lost nothing in this, not a fricken penny, at the time of their sponsorship LA was the Man, bringing them loads of attention, well worth their investments.

They still had a business agreement which he did not honor, he defrauded the government. Its rather simple, when you break a contract you should expect some repercussions. Time to pay the Piper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Well would be quite a catty behaviour. . He's also jerk but doesn't permission you to attack a person. And potentially damage a pretty bike!

I was expecting responses like Yes I'd go for a ride with him/No, he has sunk in my eyes too low./ Maybe... ect. But not an act as a friend and attack when not looking. That's just childish.

I apologise if you've met your post as a satire.
    REALLY!?!
    I WAS JOKING!!!!!!!
    You should be happy that someone even responded to your question.

Flow like water

In one instance, a career diplomat made an informed decision and lost his life. I do not see a comparison with any lying or cheating in sport. I could wonder why a quasi-government entity like USPS was spending money to make itself look good as well.

Perspective!
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

the train keeps rollin
    I'm not cool with our gov spending a bunch of tax dollars investigating baseball players and cyclistist, seems ridiculous. The money could be spent on education, creating jobs..... not tearing down some Aholes in sport.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    While I dont think he cheated, only leveling the playing field, I believe he did actually win lawsuits against people, or companies that accused him of doping. It is definited wrong to use any peformance enhancing drugs or take shortcuts, but actually getting lawsuits against people who where accusing him of cheating, who where actually telling the truth is really really wrong. Thats sort of thing shows how much arogance he had, and thats pretty bad.

As far as livestrong, i'm wearing my bracelot right now. I know Lance was one of the founders of the company, but that doesnt change its cause. The cause is much bigger then this. It doesnt change my opion of Livestrong what so ever. After loosing my father this year from cancer, this sort of thing is very close to my heart

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    that ain't right. The dude had cancer for cripes sake.

mtbr member
    I hate burst anyone's bubble but..... Lance just inflicked the largest wound on the bike racing world and he's made everyone in it look guilty. It might have been different if he cheated one time but for years and years!?!?!?! COME ON! REALLY!?! Has anyone noticed that none of the second place racers have been crowned with the Tour title yet? Wonder why??

Yes its a dark day for cycling. Ive been sick to stomach all day.

mtbr member
    But come on, USPS and Discovery Channel lost nothing in this, not a fricken penny, at the time of their sponsorship LA was the Man, bringing them loads of attention, well worth their investments.
    Armstrong's financial ties were/are well woven:

http://dimspace.co.uk/la/ArmstrongBu...ctions1707.png

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sports holds an unjustified top rung, we celebrate the winners then monetize them beyond belief. This outing won't change the win at any cost mentality that runs through sports and boardrooms - the cheating will continue to evolve in attempt to avoid detection and the money will continue to flow. That a top sports star is also a solipsistic ass, willing to use their money and power to destroy any threat seems incidental until they are caught. Still pessimistic about pro cycling but I like to see mythology bubbles popped.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast