Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    There are other trails in Moab (or GJ or Fruita for that matter) that have better alternate lines than Slickrock (Bartlett Wash for example). Of course, it all depends on what you look for in a trail that makes it interesting...
    Wouldn't necessarily disagree with you there. Then again, people drop shrimp rock.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    I ride both Blankets and Sope Creek quite a bit. I like Sope Creek better because it flows better than Blankets (excluding VMT).
    So you're sneaking into Georgia and riding two miles from my house (Sope Creek) and not inviting me along?
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Not standard for MA. But it's got flow, bro ( JK) We do have great stuff. But for me KT is about the climbing, views, the Tiki bar and friends. All together in one place. Ridden from the top of upper moose?
    Since KT is literally our backyard, I get what people say about over-rated, no tech, etc. but....DMA, to Parr's, to Wylder to Magill to Moose to White School, out and back on Good N You, to Sky Dive, to Nose to White back to town puts a smile on every one's face that I take on that ride.....

Plus now with the additional of the Victory Trails..... etc. there is more challenge than people think. KT isn't just Darling Hill....which admittedly presents a true challenge for most intermediate and up riders only when pace is added....or in the winter......
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Over-rated.....in the spirit of them still being good but not a "if I can only ride one trail or system" kinda experience....

Tsali....crossed it off the list, we had a fun day but no reason to go back

Pisgah......love riding in Pigah and Dupont....but, people tend to make it out to be more than it is. Rocks, roots and remoteness aren't unique to only Pisgah or NC. That being said, I friggin' love the place.....but the whole 'you haven't ridden tech or climbed until you ride Pisgah" stuff is a little over hyped IMHO. I found the whole "we measure rides in time not miles" thing kinda funny, seeing as how it is often delivered like a Clint Eastwood line.....I get it and it is a good approach for the area but I still chuckle.

Under rated potentially

Canaan Valley - It has been a while and maybe time does funny things to memories.....but riding up Son of Plantation from Blackwater Bikes then down Plantation etc. was epic and fun at the time for us.....
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
    It's not world famous but as much as people ride it and talk about it locally I was way underwhelmed by Blankets Creek near Roswell, Georgia.

Nothing but rocks and roots with no rhythm. Maybe cause it's close to a major suburban area and people can ride there from their house?

Nothing but rocks and roots ... seriously ???? I dislike Blankets because it is way too smooth with almost nothing technical to ride. A LOT of people ride there because it is close to ATL not because it is so amazing. That's why it is rated as better than it actually is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    I really need to give it another go, as it's been years since my last ride there. I did ride lock and load back when it was first built. I give the place two thumbs up for trail work and maintenance. You guys do a great job with that for sure.
    Thanks, check out Ward hill too while you are there, nice stuff on the front side of Boston Hill. Dare I say flow, berms and whoops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    San Luis Obispo has miles and miles sanctioned trail and miles and muiles of unsanctioned trail right out of town. Also the good stuff is shuttleable.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Re: Bend

I don't think any of the trails there are out-of-this-world awesome. But, they have an absolute boat load of singletrack that is accessible from town. I'm struggling to think of any town that would compare in terms of pure trail mileage that you can ride from your front door.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post

Another one that is way over-hyped is Fisher Creek (Fisher to Williams) near Stanley, Idaho. While it's good for sure there are arguably much better trails in the area.
    No kidding!
    We had so many recommendations to ride that, we finally did near the end of our week long bike trip.
    I have no idea why so many people like it. No views of the sawtooths until you are back in the parking lot. Riding the highway to get to gravel... No thanks never again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Since KT is literally our backyard, I get what people say about over-rated, no tech, etc. but....DMA, to Parr's, to Wylder to Magill to Moose to White School, out and back on Good N You, to Sky Dive, to Nose to White back to town puts a smile on every one's face that I take on that ride.....

Plus now with the additional of the Victory Trails..... etc. there is more challenge than people think. KT isn't just Darling Hill....which admittedly presents a true challenge for most intermediate and up riders only when pace is added....or in the winter......
    I just moved to VT and am about an hour from KT. I started to think it was overrated from the view of a rider that just wants to ride challenging stuff but after riding more of the area it does have plenty of challenging terrain....you just need to venture out of Darling Hill. Crowds have also gotten worse there so that's even more incentive to explore. But its hard to pass up KT as an ideal Vermont mountain bike experience.

Also, there is amazing riding in the general area of Northern VT that gets over shadowed by KT.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Third.

It's impossible to ride there without getting caught behind a group (or five) taking turns taking pictures of each other riding off an 18" drop. I'm not enough of a dick to blow past a group of people waiting in line, and I hate waiting in lines on a ****ing mountain bike ride.

When I'm down in Zion-land, I ride JEM or the Green Valley stuff. Zen is a great loop, and there are plenty of other trails that can tickle any fancy.
    Ironically, I far prefer Goosebery to Green Valley, and even Gem. Any place I can camp right on the trail for free and stay the whole weekend makes my day...the fact that it is remote from a town makes it even better. The solitude and views of the sun hitting the peaks of Zion makes it for me.

That said I very much enjoy the trails too, they aren't inherently flowy...but they can be, with the right approach to riding them.

I have not had the same issue with crowds that you have, and that could change my opinion of the area. I also would not enjoy it if I was looking to head to a brewery after the ride instead of chill around the campfire with a beer.

I feel Park City is over-rated. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion. Every time I go, I'm underwhelmed by the quality of the trails and overwhelmed by the amount of traffic on them.

Your Best Friend
    Third.

It's impossible to ride there without getting caught behind a group (or five) taking turns taking pictures of each other riding off an 18" drop. I'm not enough of a dick to blow past a group of people waiting in line, and I hate waiting in lines on a ****ing mountain bike ride.

When I'm down in Zion-land, I ride JEM or the Green Valley stuff. Zen is a great loop, and there are plenty of other trails that can tickle any fancy.
    Impossible? I live on Gooseberry and this has very rarely happened. Goose is definitely an acquired taste as everyone is into flow trails these days. You have to be good to ride the Goose or you'll end up frustrated. There is no where else in the world like it which makes it the unique destination trail it is.

My biggest Meh trail was 18 road in Fruita. I always roll my eyes when I hear people suggesting it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    I did a trip to Pisgah some 20 years ago from up north, and in my mind, it was an awesome experience and phenomenal riding. I haven't been back since, and wonder if time and experience would change my opinion of the trail system.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I feel Park City is over-rated. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion. Every time I go, I'm underwhelmed by the quality of the trails and overwhelmed by the amount of traffic on them.
    I doubt you are in the minority on this. If they could build at least a little more tech into a few trails. The recent addition of shuttling services has really put the pressure on the trails.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I doubt you are in the minority on this. If they could build at least a little more tech into a few trails. The recent addition of shuttling services has really put the pressure on the trails.
    I rode PC 2-3 years ago and thought it was really really good! I rode everything, from resort all the way up to above the tree line to the highest point I could make it. Nothing super technical, but good solid trails IMO.

mtbr member
    Gosh... seems all you expert riders have worked yourselves into a state of jaded boredom, having been everywhere and ridden everything. Those adrenaline fixes just don't satisfy like they used to, huh? Maybe up the dose with an ebike? Most of these over-rated rides are still on my bucket list. At 61 I probably won't get to them all!

Seriously, having just moved to Prescott from bush Alaska (95% mining roads, beaches, and sled-dog trails), I'm in heaven. I've ridden most of the local trails by now, but Sedona, Flagstaff, and Phoenix are less than 2 hours away. Utah is close, too. Haven't been to Moab for biking since the 80s, and barely scratched the surface then. Just started exploring these areas. What a glorious time to be an intermediate rider!
    Last edited by veloborealis; 1 Week Ago at 02:06 PM.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I did a trip to Pisgah some 20 years ago from up north, and in my mind, it was an awesome experience and phenomenal riding. I haven't been back since, and wonder if time and experience would change my opinion of the trail system.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, Pisgah and the whole area is friggin' fantastic and the riding is outstanding, I just think there has been a gnar-narrative with Pisgah for years, or at least that is what I gathered over the past 15-20years. So from my personal perspective, and the perspective of the folks I went down there with, that aspect was over-hyped/overrated.

We still run into folks from NC that are like "well, nothing scares me as I ride Pisgah all the time"......so we were expecting this next level tech stuff etc. and what we found was familiar stuff but more of it. It was awesome just way different than I expected it to be based on the reputation.
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thepusher View Post
    Ha, that's how I feel at Patapsco most if the time. I always comment "this must be more fun going the opposite direction "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha! Isn't this most of MD? I love our trails. Even the Watershed has me thinking maybe it's better the otherway. We climb just enough that it sucks, and downhill just enough to say was that it We vacation in WNC and it's the same mountain range. But the climbs are longer, and so are the downhills.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Not for me, we go at least once a year. Day ride Pisgah night ride Dupont.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong, Pisgah and the whole area is friggin' fantastic and the riding is outstanding, I just think there has been a gnar-narrative with Pisgah for years, or at least that is what I gathered over the past 15-20years. So from my personal perspective, and the perspective of the folks I went down there with, that aspect was over-hyped/overrated.

We still run into folks from NC that are like "well, nothing scares me as I ride Pisgah all the time"......so we were expecting this next level tech stuff etc. and what we found was familiar stuff but more of it. It was awesome just way different than I expected it to be based on the reputation.
    True, you'd think it's like Redbull Rampage from the way it's talked about. It's more like it has a tun of trails that have great views and waterfalls, and the forest is so thick you feel isolated.

mtbr member
    Here's my list...

The Rim Trail, Cloudcroft, NM (supposed to be epic but it's definitely not)
    18 Road in Fruita, like others have said
    Hangover in Sedona (maybe I'm just a chicken, but give me Portal in Moab any day over Hangover - the exposure just isn't worth it - Highline, on OTOH, is awesome)

-ABQ Clyde
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3
    2016 Trek Allant 7.4 (for commuting)

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I do not just ride 'a trail' like a narrow strip of dirt is the only thing in the world that matters.

To me, a good ride is the terrain, the view, the wildlife, my attitude, even the weather -- the whole experience of the day. I can have that anywhere. Some of my most enjoyable rides have been on maintained forest roads when everything else was in sync. Whether I am at the latest trendy MTB mecca riding the current fad trail or not is irrelevant.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    I do not just ride 'a trail' like a narrow strip of dirt is the only thing in the world that matters.

To me, a good ride is the terrain, the view, the wildlife, my attitude, even the weather -- the whole experience of the day. I can have that anywhere. Some of my most enjoyable rides have been on maintained forest roads when everything else was in sync. Whether I am at the latest trendy MTB mecca riding the current fad trail or not is irrelevant.
    For sure.

This is a great thread. Me thinks we're all at work self reminiscing about these rides wishing we were out there riding them instead. I know I am.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Another vote for TWE, Upper and last 2 miles are pretty sweet, but that jeep road...
    Again a great ride, but #1, not IMHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The Twins in Oregon and pretty much anything around Gold Lake campground. Super lame... all of it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I think it's a fun good-hearted thread.

I live in Phoenix and don't understand the hype of Sedona. I mean, it's fine, the scenery is nice, but I think the riding just isn't as good overall as Phoenix. I prefer the extra half-hour drive to Flagstaff, which I find to be awesome.

Under-rated? Lemmon Drop in Tucson.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by gobriango View Post
    I already seconded 401 trail. Let me add Kingdom Trails and anything around Snow Summit as boring and waaaay overrated.

A trail that you never hear anything about that is insanely awesome is Ellicottville, NY (outside Buffalo). No scenery, just non stop, very technical (but all ridable) singletrack that goes and goes. There are 3 other local riding areas that are all quality and would make for a killer weekend.
    E'ville has some great stuff! I have a post on here somewhere with some video in early Winter. It was sketchy but very fun!

It's not world famous but as much as people ride it and talk about it locally I was way underwhelmed by Blankets Creek near Roswell, Georgia.

Nothing but rocks and roots with no rhythm. Maybe cause it's close to a major suburban area and people can ride there from their house?
    I read about Blankets (haven't been there since the '90's I think), and almost no one I ever knew from there actually rode there or suggested I go there. They went to Bull Mt. or even Chicopee Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Allegrippis/Raystown, if I never went back I'd be OK with it. It was fun the first time, by the 3rd time I was over it. I know they have Dirtfest there and all but I ride to get away from people so I'll never go to that...

Moon lake is probably my favorite trails and often overlooked. A bit of everything all wrapped up in one, very few people typically and not sanitized.
    Glad to hear some East coast people chiming in. Raystown is superbly planned and built, but I get deja vu after about an hour. The only stuff that grabbed my attention was the South Loop, and that may be because they logged it and it required that the trail be rerouted.

Everything in Michaux is under-rated.
    (In the Fall "there's a rock under every leaf")
    Moraine SP is also under-rated. One of the few places that challenges me alllll. the. way.

-F

PS - for all you West coasters, since I've never been out there with a bike, you all sound spoiled! All we hear about over hear is all the ones you're calling over-rated. It's hilarious and disillusioning at the same time. I'll still eventually come out and see for myself.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post

I live in Phoenix and don't understand the hype of Sedona. I mean, it's fine, the scenery is nice, but I think the riding just isn't as good overall as Phoenix. I prefer the extra half-hour drive to Flagstaff, which I find to be awesome.

I am on the believe the Sedona hype band wagon, can't wait to go back.
    Phoenix has some nice riding, I got to ride South Mtn. and your local T100 trail ran along side our hotel.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

San Juan Trail. Seriously... people will drive an hour to shuttle this trail?
    Im sorry, but try earning your ride- its an awesome trail to ride up as well. the down is just that much more fruitful when you've gone up what you're about to go down!

mtbr member
    I think you missed the subtly implied sarcasm of this post. vvvvvvv

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    slickrock at Moab.... Moab has MUCH better to offer..
    I have been to Moab every year for the last 4, this year will make 5. I do Slickrock every year. Overrated? Dunno, still fun and I believe a must do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hermosa Creek 18 years ago was simply awesome, magical even...on a 26" hardtail.
    Fast forward to 6 years ago, Meh. Lots of erosion on the climbs; generally beat up. The thrill is gone.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Next time you're in Moab, head south of town a bit, into the Abajos.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7019201
    Thanks for the tip. I will have to check that out next time I get down that way.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    Another vote for TWE, Upper and last 2 miles are pretty sweet, but that jeep road...
    Again a great ride, but #1, not IMHO.
    I love the jeep road section, so fast and chunky. (Top part where it is almost all rock)
    To each his own...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Much more of a backcountry ride than TWE and without the jackhammer jeep road on porcupine.
    I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I absolutely love the jeep road section on Porcupine. Maybe not as much as the porcupine rim singletrack, but flying through that chunk at mach stupid speed is a kick in the pants.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I will have to check that out next time I get down that way.
    I'm hoping to get out there soon, like the next couple of weeks, while the aspens still have leaves. It's pretty spectacular.

Also, if people can set aside their gnar-shredding aspirations for a day, riding Lockhart Basin Road and some of the roads south of there will blow your mind.
    Death from Below.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I absolutely love the jeep road section on Porcupine. Maybe not as much as the porcupine rim singletrack, but flying through that chunk at mach stupid speed is a kick in the pants.
    Agreed. I almost replied to the post that described it as a washboarded fire road, since it's actually a rock-ribbed seismic exploration road, which is not the same thing at all. At speed, it's fairly smooth and a ton of fun, especially when you're playing with friends on different lines.

Linoleum Knife
    A lot of the trails in this thread that I've ridden WERE epic 20 years ago.

A trail starts out being amazing.

Then it makes all these shitty Top 20 Places to Ride lists, gets bandied around the internets...

Then you have 20 years worth of shuttle monkey tourists turning it into a wide, rutted mess and removing all the technical features.

Now it's overrated....

mtbr member
    Ridgeline Trail in Dupont State Forest, NC.
    A friend and I were looking to do a quick ride the day after we finished the Pisgah Stage Race last year. People kept recommending Dupont and I felt like I had heard about Ridgeline over and over. It was one of the most boring trails I've ever been on. I didn't understand any of the hype. The other trails we did in Dupont were not very good either. We ended up leaving there and did a quick Sycamore Cove loop in Pisgah before we left so we could at least ride something decent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy View Post
    A lot of the trails in this thread that I've ridden WERE epic 20 years ago.

A trail starts out being amazing.

Then it makes all these shitty Top 20 Places to Ride lists, gets bandied around the internets...

Then you have 20 years worth of shuttle monkey tourists turning it into a wide, rutted mess and removing all the technical features.

Now it's overrated....
    Shuttle companies that profit from public trails should have to pay a % of their income back to the trail. Same with races & other events. Profiteering from public land is BS.

CDH
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree on bend. Fun trails with your young kids but pretty boring with tons of people on the trails. Oakridge is so much better than bend. Way better trails and way cooler scene.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Shuttle companies that profit from public trails should have to pay a % of their income back to the trail. Same with races & other events. Profiteering from public land is BS.
    I don't know about shuttle companies but races and events absolutely have to pay permit fees. Depending on the land owner, a lot of that goes back into the trails.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymchanson View Post
    Ridgeline Trail in Dupont State Forest, NC.
    A friend and I were looking to do a quick ride the day after we finished the Pisgah Stage Race last year. People kept recommending Dupont and I felt like I had heard about Ridgeline over and over. It was one of the most boring trails I've ever been on. I didn't understand any of the hype. The other trails we did in Dupont were not very good either. We ended up leaving there and did a quick Sycamore Cove loop in Pisgah before we left so we could at least ride something decent.
    Ridgeline is a fun trail to rip up AND down. The Ridgeline-Hickory-Ridgeline lollipop is a fun fitness test. One of the few trails where, if you're really hauling, you can hit features going UP the hill. But, there's nothing particularly special about it, I agree. And it's certainly not a "destination"-level trail. It's a 1.5 mile "flow" trail in a region known for the opposite.
    Death from Below.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    I agree on bend. Fun trails with your young kids but pretty boring with tons of people on the trails. Oakridge is so much better than bend. Way better trails and way cooler scene.
    Oakridge is a ton of fun. Have some friends who live there and would love to go back when the smoke isn't bad from the fires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewerx View Post
    I have been to Moab every year for the last 4, this year will make 5. I do Slickrock every year. Overrated? Dunno, still fun and I believe a must do.
    I agree! Slickrock was the first ride I did in Moab and I had a blast. I thought I'd be bothered by the dirt bikes and 4-wheelers nearby, but it fit the "historical" nature of the trail. My first experience with the amazing traction of sandstone. I consider it a must do for those new to Moab.

Just to throw out something different, I was pretty sync'd to ride Comfortably Numb in Whistler. While not totally disappointed, the punchy nature without a lot of flow surprised me, and wouldn't do it again. Afterwards I talked with several people that felt the same way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I don't know about shuttle companies but races and events absolutely have to pay permit fees. Depending on the land owner, a lot of that goes back into the trails.

Shuttle companies have to pay the land manager (usually BLM in OR) a permit fee to operate & they only issue x amount of them. I've not personally seen this or events benifit the trail 99% of the time. I have seen it go to maintenance to roads for said shuttle companies to acess trailheads.

There is a shuttle company in Oakridge OR that was absolutely integral in putting that place on the map. Hiring local drivers, working with local politics, trail builders, events etc. Once Oakridge started to get notoriety other shuttle companies that are not located in nor do anything for the town move in and take a lot of his market share, and the trails are worse off for it. I can't think of an outdoor destination where simular scenarios aren't the the norm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    I am on the believe the Sedona hype band wagon, can't wait to go back.
    Phoenix has some nice riding, I got to ride South Mtn. and your local T100 trail ran along side our hotel.
    I really like Sedona too and often daydream about riding there. But I also really like Phoenix (especially SoMo) and Tucson (+1 for Lemon Drop. What a great ride!) and often day dream about riding there.... especially when it's winter here.

I need to get more time in Flagstaff. The one ride I had there was stellar. Upper Wasabi to Wasabi is one of the best tech flow DH trails I've ridden.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I really like Sedona too and often daydream about riding there. But I also really like Phoenix (especially SoMo) and Tucson (+1 for Lemon Drop. What a great ride!) and often day dream about riding there.... especially when it's winter here.

I need to get more time in Flagstaff. The one ride I had there was stellar. Upper Wasabi to Wasabi is one of the best tech flow DH trails I've ridden.
    Krob, you should come out weekend after next for the first official Enduro race in Flag. 6 stages over 2 days on the 'best' over-rated system trail descents in town. Of course, most of the best stuff like Wasabi is off the grid but still, it will be pretty fun. https://www.absolutebikes.net/commun...gstaff-enduro/

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    I agree, I wasn't impressed with bend, but oakridge was awesome.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewerx View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    We like to start slickrock late, and finish last 1/2 in the dark with lights. Pretty cool and usually nobody else out.

I think Pisgah is one of the most underrated areas.... Freakin rocks! Pilot descent, black mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    While not totally disappointed, the punchy nature without a lot of flow surprised me, and wouldn't do it again. Afterwards I talked with several people that felt the same way.
    Not sure what you were expecting on CN. But it does have its own flow once you learn the lines and how to ride them, and is insanely fun if you are into that style of trail. Thankfully it is not the same "flow" as all the neutered imba style flow trails out there now that do little more than bore you to sleep.

And as for people who don't like Gooseberry... if you can't have fun there, you're definitely doing something wrong in life. Yeah I know, opinions....blah, blah. But someone had to say it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer View Post
    Im sorry, but try earning your ride- its an awesome trail to ride up as well. the down is just that much more fruitful when you've gone up what you're about to go down!
    San Juan is pretty low on my list of awesome descents. I don't think I've ever shuttled it. Usually we climb it to get to Pinos or Chiquito. Now San Juan to Pinos, there is an awesome ride....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ridgeline is a fun trail to rip up AND down. The Ridgeline-Hickory-Ridgeline lollipop is a fun fitness test. One of the few trails where, if you're really hauling, you can hit features going UP the hill. But, there's nothing particularly special about it, I agree. And it's certainly not a "destination"-level trail. It's a 1.5 mile "flow" trail in a region known for the opposite.

I think the upper area of Dupont is better. Like up Cedar down Hard Rock it's got a great view as well. But most the time we night ride there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post

I would agree that there are more riding options in and around Phoenix, but Sedona has it beat on weather most of the time, air quality all of the time, and views all of the time. Sedona exploded around 15 years ago with serious connectors and epic trails, but it by no means has more miles or options as Phoenix. The draw of Sedona is you can get out of Phoenix, instead of driving through the city for an hour or more. If Phoenix was in a more temperate climate with less population or more natural land, then sure, it'd be more like the Seattle area. I like Flag too, but both places (flag and Sedona) don't necessarily have endless options or anything. Flagstaff has vertical over Sedona, as most everything does, which is a big factor in favor of other places, but again, Phoenix 8 months out of the year is hot as hell and the air quality is horrible in the winter. If I lived there I'd want to get out if there to go riding too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm going to post a vid with some slow-mo hike-a-bike for 3 seconds and super ripping DH lines that will make it seem like the best ever. You'll never know the misery of having to hike-a-bike up 45 degree pitches or waiting for hikers. I'll edit out all the crashes and slow sections. You'll just think it'd the most epic ride ever. The miracle of modern video editing. Your expectations will be high.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Pisgah is wonderful and there are lots of trails to ride. Truly a mecca for mountain biking. But I still believe that there are many great riding trails that are local to the NE that are as fun as Pisgah. I think the NE, just for it density of good riding trails, is vastly under-rated.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I would agree that there are more riding options in and around Phoenix, but Sedona has it beat on weather most of the time, air quality all of the time, and views all of the time. Sedona exploded around 15 years ago with serious connectors and epic trails, but it by no means has more miles or options as Phoenix. The draw of Sedona is you can get out of Phoenix, instead of driving through the city for an hour or more. If Phoenix was in a more temperate climate with less population or more natural land, then sure, it'd be more like the Seattle area. I like Flag too, but both places (flag and Sedona) don't necessarily have endless options or anything. Flagstaff has vertical over Sedona, as most everything does, which is a big factor in favor of other places, but again, Phoenix 8 months out of the year is hot as hell and the air quality is horrible in the winter. If I lived there I'd want to get out if there to go riding too.
    I love riding in PHX and I go once a year for 3-4 days. I love the variety of trails offered. I love all the food options. What I don't love is how spread out all the trail systems are and there doesn't really seem to be a centralized place to stay where you can avoid the traffic that goes along with that. Where I live isn't much better to get to the "good stuff" but in comparing it to a place like Sedona or GJ/Fruita, it's a huge difference.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Another factor may be the photos that are fed to us showing exotic locations more exotic than they are. For example, in a recent issue of BIKE, could be the photo annual, theres a photo of some riders ripping a trail at Skogafoss, Iceland. Missing from the photo are the tour buses in the parking lot and a metal staircase just out of sight on the right accessing the trailhead at the top of the waterfall. These guys just clipped in. Great trail, but...
    I'm definitely guilty of this a bit with my photos.... but you're spot on.

I've hiked that trail up from Skogafoss, and it would SUCK on a bike. Way too many rutted and eroded areas, and it's way too steep to ride or carry a bike up. That said, it's one of the most beautiful trails I've ever hiked, and the pictures of guys "riding" it are absolutely sick. No one needs to know that they only rode their bikes for 10 feet before having to get off and walk down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Let me be the first to say the Palisade Plunge is just meh.

Crowd turns out to comment on Palisade Plunge | GJSentinel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    We like to start slickrock late, and finish last 1/2 in the dark with lights. Pretty cool and usually nobody else out.
    Been thinking about doing that. The dark would add some fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Ever burn a few vacation days, pack two kids, wife, two dogs, bikes, camping gear, etc... to travel to ride the "great" trails you've been hearing about. Only to find you could have had a better riding experience in your back yard.

Its reality and part of the cost benefit analysis when planning a trip.

And yes, there are such things as lousy mtb trails.
    Perhaps you're doing it wrong. Ever burn a few vacation days, pack two friends, lots of beer, two dogs, bikes, camping gear, etc... to travel to ride the "great" trails you've been hearing about, only to find that the riding experience paled in comparison to the good times you had along the way?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    ^ Would agree on Kingdom, but as a mountain biker I'm glad it's there. Would also say the trails & area/East Burke have changed a LOT over the years. Again from an mtb perspective it's a good trajectory. To bad Waterbury didn't get some of that love. When The Alchemist was there that was one of my favorite destinations. Then again Stowe is ruined imo.
    Yeah. In heading up to Kingdom in a few weeks because the crew going got too big for me to convince them to get up to Waterbury. It's been a while since I've done Kingdom, so perhaps the variety offered by Victory Take will make it more interesting this time around, but there are so many interesting and fun places to ride, I'm a bit mystified by the way experienced riders keep seeking-out the more pedestrian and popular destinations.

Last edited by phride; 6 Days Ago at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    'Flow' is where you make it. I really like HP (and rock gardens in general).
    Yeah, but with rock gardens, it sometimes takes several visits to make it flow, so I can see how folks who visit HP once or twice would be underwhelmed. Contrast that with Lynn, where it's even harder to make it flow, but the aesthetics of the lines provide additional reward beyond just making it through clean, and folks are more likely to be overwhelmed than underwhelmed there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    100%.
    Night riding it on a clear stary night. Nothing out there like it.
    Brilliant! Scheduling my next Moab trip for the full moon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Have to throw an underated vote out for stuff in the Harrisonburg area. Massanutten western slope has some great riding. Plenty of elevation and lots of rock. Then there are the trails in GW natioal forest. Aside from being spreadout they let you ride but require you to keep up the pace or you will be walking your bike in spots. Great scenery as well.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Pisgah is wonderful and there are lots of trails to ride. Truly a mecca for mountain biking. But I still believe that there are many great riding trails that are local to the NE that are as fun as Pisgah. I think the NE, just for it density of good riding trails, is vastly under-rated.
    I would like to return. I still consider it as one of my best riding experiences ever.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Not sure what you were expecting on CN. But it does have its own flow once you learn the lines and how to ride them, and is insanely fun if you are into that style of trail. Thankfully it is not the same "flow" as all the neutered imba style flow trails out there now that do little more than bore you to sleep.
    Yeah, I get you. I still appreciate the trail for what it is. But we're talking opinions on over-rated trails, so we can have different opinions.

One of the bike shop managers (at least he acted like he was the manager), said he thought the trail should be "fixed" so more people enjoy it. While it wasn't my style, I totally disagree with dummying down a trail. Someday I might want to try CN again to see if I can handle the challenges better. I'd be really disappointed if those challenges were removed. If you want a certain type of trail, build it from scratch, don't alter an established, iconic ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I just moved to VT and am about an hour from KT. I started to think it was overrated from the view of a rider that just wants to ride challenging stuff but after riding more of the area it does have plenty of challenging terrain....you just need to venture out of Darling Hill. Crowds have also gotten worse there so that's even more incentive to explore. But its hard to pass up KT as an ideal Vermont mountain bike experience.

Also, there is amazing riding in the general area of Northern VT that gets over shadowed by KT.
    What I do like is how CJ and the trail team have been building expansion loops which has definately helped spread out the trafffic off Darling Hill. We only ride Darling Sunday afternoons or weekdays if we want to ride it at all. It is a shit show on the weekends, but that is fine as it packs the locals with some coin.

When we venture away from the hill we still see folks but not like on Darling.....none of the Canadian groups of 8-18 slinky-ing from one intersection to another.....

When people say KT is overrated, I understand if they are looking for 100miles of tech and rocks etc. They will usually follow it up with a recommendation to ride another trail system for rocks and roots with like 10-15 miles of trail.....which if you know the NEK, there are rocks and roots to be found in KT, but it may not be on Darling Hill or right by the bar.

Not defending the overrated nature of it......just sayin....
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

DFL>DNF>DNS
    [QUOTE=Jayem;Phoenix 8 months out of the year is hot as hell and the air quality is horrible in the winter. If I lived there I'd want to get out if there to go riding too.[/QUOTE]

Perspective man. Aren't you up in Alaska now??? I'll give you 3-4 months as hot as hell, not 8!! C'mon. That would be like me saying it's frozen over in AK for 8 months and dark. I'd also disagree about the horrible air quality, sure there are some poor days, but most of the PHX area trails are on the outskirts of the Valley not center city. I'm not spending all day at Papago when the cool weather rolls in. (Black Canyon Trail, SMP North & South, Spur Cross, Brown's Ranch, McDowell Regional, Hawes, Gold Canyon, San Tan, Estrella F.I.N.S./Pirate trails, White Tanks, etc) South Mountain, Phoenix Mtn. Preserve & Papago are really the only systems in the city and S. Mtn can feel like miles away.

Yes, I'm busting your chops a little bit!!

This entire thread is about perspective and what type of ride each rider truly enjoys. Most of the big name trails mentioned are probably rated 4.5 - 5 stars by the masses. Maybe most are more deserving of a 4 - 4.5, but doesn't that reflect a bit on personal riding preference? I've had the good fortune to have been on a lot of these trails. They are all great IMO as I like a huge diversity of styles. Here in PHX, if I want some techy chunk, South Mountain is a great choice. Other times I don't feel like getting beat up and just want to spin out some long twisting desert miles, Brown's Ranch here I come. Bottom line, bikes are cool. Bike riding is fun. I'm going to CO this weekend to ride and push my bike up mountains...
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

Your Best Friend
    Have to add in Bootleg Canyon. Years ago we went into the shop in Boulder City and they sold us a map and described the trails as "world class". During our ride we were dumbfounded. On the ride home we just laughed. What a joke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phride View Post
    Brilliant! Scheduling my next Moab trip for the full moon.

That's the ticket my friend. Midnight full moon ride so the moon is directly overhead. It's an unforgettable experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Never been there, but I've heard it's quite singletrack flowy stuff.

I like rocky stuff! I want to use my suspension, not wish I had a hardtail.
    It is flowy single track but I don't see why its gets soooo much praise. I took a 160mm bike there twice and it wasn't nearly as much fun as a HT with a Butcher up front and a semislick in back. Whiteclay DE is flowy as well but I take my Slash there and have a blast not regret taking it.

My normal trails are usually chunky or rooted. I just enjoy riding stuff like that now. I drive past flow trails to ride rocks pretty often.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Krob, you should come out weekend after next for the first official Enduro race in Flag. 6 stages over 2 days on the 'best' over-rated system trail descents in town. Of course, most of the best stuff like Wasabi is off the grid but still, it will be pretty fun. https://www.absolutebikes.net/commun...gstaff-enduro/
    Sounds like fun, and a great way to get a tour of Mt. Elden. Unfortunately I've already burnt my hall pass for September with my Moab trip, but I'll keep it on the radar for next year.

What's with all the two day enduros lately? Is it just about getting folks to stay over another night to increase tourism spending or is it more about logistics? Ours is 6 stages (7 for pros) in one day and I'd much prefer that.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Have to add in Bootleg Canyon. Years ago we went into the shop in Boulder City and they sold us a map and described the trails as "world class". During our ride we were dumbfounded. On the ride home we just laughed. What a joke.

Before the ski resorts got on board with mountain biking, bootleg was something, now it's not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In my area

Buffalo Creek area- The dirt is kitty litter. Blackjack is the most interesting trail there and Little Scraggy. All of the other stuff is boring to me.

The 401 trail - Amazing scenery but the trail is weak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    captain ahab/amasa back/hymasa in moab. no flow (even by moab standards), nothing really all that technical or challenging on the way down and just overall kind of slow for the most part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    18 road in fruita. a couple (like, two...maybe 3) exciting parts but most of the trail system is kind of boring, easy and slow. lunch loops in grand junction is a lot more fun and very underrated in my opinion.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Impossible? I live on Gooseberry and this has very rarely happened. Goose is definitely an acquired taste as everyone is into flow trails these days. You have to be good to ride the Goose or you'll end up frustrated. There is no where else in the world like it which makes it the unique destination trail it is.
    I only go up there during the week, about 6-8 times a year, but even then there's usually a group fiddling around with one section of the trail or another.

Goose isn't overrated, just over/misused. I like the (mid-week) camping, and it's a fun trail to just chill out and ride well.

JEM is a nice XC trail, which is why the Frog Hollow endurance races use it, but other than the one tech section and the bottom mile or two, it's totally unremarkable. If the wind is strong and from the North, it becomes a complete waste of time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    buffalo creek in colorado. its like single track on a beach.

aaonchuck
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Kingdom Trails VT. standard trails in a cool setting.

Meh. my local stuff is 3x the ride
    Yeah gonna have to agree with you on this one. I did have fun, but I'm not to sure it was worth the 7 hour drive from Buffalo. Though, the beer selection at the tiki bar was damn good.

aaonchuck
    Apr 2006
    The Whole Enchilada in Moab is so overrated. Moab is SOOOO overrated. The riding is boring and the trails are stupid.

aaonchuck
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Training-Wheels View Post
    18 road in fruita. a couple (like, two...maybe 3) exciting parts but most of the trail system is kind of boring, easy and slow. lunch loops in grand junction is a lot more fun and very underrated in my opinion.
    Agreed except that Lunch Loops are actually highly rated.

I fix choppers

If you think Blankets is rooty and rocky you'd hate Big Creek in Roswell. To each their own. I always say that I like trails that flow, but not flow trails. Blankets and Big Creek both flow nicely, but they aren't flow trails.

My most overrated trail system by far is Tsali. It used to be in every damn magazine and still comes up when you mention riding in NC. It has nice scenery, but nothing technical and maybe nowadays would only be worthwhile hitting if you were on a single speed.

That said, I'd take riding an overrated trail any day over not riding at all.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    I only go up there during the week, about 6-8 times a year, but even then there's usually a group fiddling around with one section of the trail or another.

Goose isn't overrated, just over/misused. I like the (mid-week) camping, and it's a fun trail to just chill out and ride well.

JEM is a nice XC trail, which is why the Frog Hollow endurance races use it, but other than the one tech section and the bottom mile or two, it's totally unremarkable. If the wind is strong and from the North, it becomes a complete waste of time.
    Yep.

I don't have a problem with Gooseberry as a trail system. I just don't like getting caught behind crowds on trails. It IS pretty unique, and I'd recommend everyone do it once.

I like the JEM and associated trails simply because of the views, and the ability to haul ass both up and down. Also, for people who live at 7500ft, JEM + Zion NP offer a nice escape from winter. When I haven't touched tire to dirt in a few months, JEM is a nice way to ease back into it and put in some miles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    hate to say it, but overall i agree. i still enjoy going to moab 1-2 times a year for the atmosphere, weather and scenery. but every time i leave there i feel like i never got a chance to open it up and go fast. just slowly pedaling around some technical chunk without very many scary or challenging parts. i know i can go ride the expose and risk death, but thats not the kind of challenge I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronchuck@yahoo.com View Post
    The Whole Enchilada in Moab is so overrated. Moab is SOOOO overrated. The riding is boring and the trails are stupid.

mtbr member
    Wasatch Crest trail. The scenery is great, but the crowds and underwhelming trail make it a big "meh" for me personally. I usually ride it once a year mainly as an add-on to create a loop but some friends of mine ride it 2-3 times a week and love it, to each their own.

Formerly of Kent
    hate to say it, but overall i agree. i still enjoy going to moab 1-2 times a year for the atmosphere, weather and scenery. but every time i leave there i feel like i never got a chance to open it up and go fast. just slowly pedaling around some technical chunk without very many scary or challenging parts. i know i can go ride the expose and risk death, but thats not the kind of challenge I'm talking about.
    Pedal/ride faster?

All trails become more entertaining, and more technical, at higher speeds.

Death from Below.

aaonchuck
    Apr 2006
    Pedal/ride faster?

All trails become more entertaining, and more technical, at higher speeds.

Yeah, I thought this would be read as the joke it is. Moab is some of the best damn riding on the planet. And the Whole Enchilada is the best trail I have ever ridden. I dont feel like qualifying that with how many trials Ive ridden or where. Im tired and need coffee.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronchuck@yahoo.com View Post
    What do you mean by stupid?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Flume Trail has been my biggest disappointment. I felt the entire time I was riding it I was waiting for the actual trail to start and then it was over. I left with trail blue balls. Sure you get about 15-20 min of decent scenery but the rest of it was a long fire road climb and then some flat sandy sections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The Whole Enchilada is the most overrated shuttle I've ridden so far.

33 miles long. Last 6 Miles is road. Probably 20 miles of dirt road.
    They can put a signs up that says it's singletrack but it's not.

The last 2 miles of actual singletrack was awesome though.

I think the heat and my janky bike added to the overrated part as well.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have never run into a crowd, or even close to it on Gooseberry. I usually go in the Winter/early Spring, but my last trip coincided with the Hurricane mtg festival, and it still wasn't bad. I always enjoy it very much. Love the Hurricane and Moab areas. Not too crazy about Moab the town, but the riding is worth it.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    FATS (Forks Area Trail System) in SC. Rode full-out there for 3 hours and was tremendously bored. No cool sections or sights. Whole thing blended together. Blah.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteClimbing View Post
    I left with trail blue balls.
    Gives new meaning to the term "trail head". Or maybe not.

mtbr member
    Pretty much every trail in Austin, TX. The Barton Creek trail alternates from boring to unrideable. Walnut Creek I can do on my road bike. Emma Long is too short and was supposed to be technical. Maybe for a beginner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    captain ahab/amasa back/hymasa in moab. no flow (even by moab standards), nothing really all that technical or challenging on the way down and just overall kind of slow for the most part.
    IDK, I was able to hit Ahab with some speed and flow and I thought it was awesome. But that's what makes this thread interesting.

mtbr member
    In the not overrated category: The Hog circuit in Sedona - I'll never be able to ride it all, way too much exposure for my taste. Skills improvement required as well. Just completed a 12 mi. loop there and what a blast! Llama, Little Horse, Broken Arrow, and Chapel were fun, too. I was so jazzed I drove over and rode Mescal again, throwing in upper Canyon of Fools for good measure. Cool temps and empty trails today. Sedona did not disappoint.
    Last edited by veloborealis; 5 Days Ago at 04:17 PM. Reason: Punkshehayshun n' spillin

mtbr member
    Desert Classic is overrated, though I do enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteClimbing View Post
    The Flume Trail has been my biggest disappointment. I felt the entire time I was riding it I was waiting for the actual trail to start and then it was over. I left with trail blue balls. Sure you get about 15-20 min of decent scenery but the rest of it was a long fire road climb and then some flat sandy sections.
    Just "decent" scenery? You have high standards, sir. Agree with your ride description though.
    Last edited by veloborealis; 3 Days Ago at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bobsled - Mt Fromme
    Exactly like every other blue trail constructed in the last decade.

Highline - Sedona
    Maybe on a lightweight hardtail with narrow bars, a long dropper and a high poe hub I might be able to ride more than half of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There are a few famous trails that I don't really like but I tell people you just have to do it because your there. Slick Rock trail in Moab is a great example, not a big fan of it but you gotta do it.
    By far the biggest let down trail for me is McKenzie River Trail. It was just a grind the whole way and then you get into the crowds of hikers to compound it. I've had a few people ask me about this one and said your not missing much if you skip it!
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast