just along for the ride

Most expensive have to have it

Hard to say, TI is very $$$$ but at 8 g and 49$ this is my pick for buck fo bangolla, have others lets see them.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=14188
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    How 'bout an aluminum lockring for $20?

No weight but Al weighs less than Ti for the same volume.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    How 'bout an aluminum lockring for $20?

No weight but Al weighs less than Ti for the same volume.
    Yeah, but Ti has a greater Drool-Factor-to-weight ratio than Al. You need to consider that too. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

just along for the ride
    Plus its a KING, ooooo, ahhhh, actually I like the steel lockig rings, less chance to boogger them up went you are in too much of a hurry to use the skewer trick.

I'm how far behind?

How much weight saved??

I think you said it weighs in at 8 grams, how much does a stock on weigh? It may be more accurate if we reported it as gram saved per $. I bet your very close to being a winner with this one.
    Fatter than most.

Driven by watts inside
    weightweenies.starbike.com has the King Ti listed at around 7g while the M953 XTR lockring lists at 6g and the M960 XTR lockring lists at 4g.

The King Ti definitely has the Chi Chi value, but if you can afford it, chances are you already have something lighter.

- Jeremy -

Freshly Fujified

LX Gold Derailleur

Not sure if this fits in with the theme of the post, (as this derailleur TYPICALLY isn't really that expensive), but I was recently doing a build, and wanted to do Shimano LX Gold front and rear derailleurs along with gold colored QR skewers for my wheelset. I managed to secure 2 sets of the front derailleur from one supplier at a very good price. The same vendor had the rear derailleur at one point, but sold it before i could afford to purchase it. It was an ebay item from an LBS that had an online presence, so I called to see if they might have another. Searching through their inventory, they came back and sadly said they did not have any more.

Frustrated, I went about the search for this item ( I wanted two, including a spare), and the only place I could find the part was at a German company (who never answered my email) and a bike store in NYC who I was leary of dealing with. To complicate things, they wanted $60.00 each for the derailleur. That's a pretty damned steep price for an LX 9 speed derailleur. I fussed over the decision, but after about a week thought to myself, if they're the only one who has it, I'd better grab it while I can. I plunked down $120 + 5 for 2 rear derailleurs inc. shipping, and got them within a couple of days. They look good on the bike and coordinate nicely with the other gold components.

End of story? Not quite. Two weeks ago, I'm searching ebay under my favorite sellers, and what do I find? Of course, the vendor I had originally bought the front derailleur from once again has the gold LX rear derailleurs in stock-for a Buy it Now price of $32.00.

So what does this say about the "must have" concept? I guess it boils down to just how important it is to have that specific part. Before I settled on the LX gold, I had purchased used XT 8 speed r/d's, and a brand new standard LX 8 speed for the build. In the end, it was SO important that I have what I want that I ended spending nearly twice the amount I should have.

Silly concept, isn't it? Must haves? Well, the bike has what I wanted, and I know I wouldn't have been happy with anything else.

Just my ramblings.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Actually, I think the best dollar-to-gram ratio is the bolt on skewers, like the ones at oddsandendos. 65g, $12 for the set. Compare to fancy titanium qr skewers which weight about 90g and cost 5 times as much.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Ringles $130 skewers... (rebadged tune)
    Herro prease

In the Kitchen
    Kore B52 Stem - $100 ( http://www.kore-usa.com/sb52.htm )

Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com