Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bike for days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    148

    The morning after

    Doubt if it's new thread worthy, but I'm just that excited.

    The last two weeks, I've gone out the morning after a fairly epic (to me!) ride... And the next day it was totally doable! Not just "oh my legs sort of barely work" but "oh damn I just finally cleared that techy climb" kind of ride. Plus finally seeing lines past fifteen feet! That saves a lot of energy when you don't get hung up on every darn nook and cranny.

    This feels like a milestone to me, because before 10+ miles on a single speed would leave me crippled for at least two days after. This is on top of 80 mi bike commuting a week, in wind, with about fifteen pounds in the panniers. In 40 degrees.

    Again, maybe not big news in the world of MTBing but man, it is so much more profound to see the difference between years two and three, Vs year one and two.

    anyhow, thanks for letting me get passionate for a sec

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    95
    good on you man. probably better for you in so many ways man. recovery rides are great for flushing out lactic acid build up and a total confidence booster thats great for keeping the stoke going.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    532
    Riding, like many sports while being physical is still mostly mental. Getting out the day after is half the battle, mindset is everything. Keep it up.

  4. #4
    Rep Power: Potatoe
    Reputation: BigRingGrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,445
    I was told by a trainer years ago (no idea if its truth or not) that humans can adapt to a conditioning program that would kill a horse.

    Its kinda weird what we can force ourselves to not just do, but over time do aggressively. Its also funny how quickly we forget the work it took get to the conditioning level we are at and mock people who think a 10 mile ride is long.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thickfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    857

    Re: The morning after

    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    Doubt if it's new thread worthy, but I'm just that excited.

    The last two weeks, I've gone out the morning after a fairly epic (to me!) ride... And the next day it was totally doable! Not just "oh my legs sort of barely work" but "oh damn I just finally cleared that techy climb" kind of ride. Plus finally seeing lines past fifteen feet! That saves a lot of energy when you don't get hung up on every darn nook and cranny.

    This feels like a milestone to me, because before 10+ miles on a single speed would leave me crippled for at least two days after. This is on top of 80 mi bike commuting a week, in wind, with about fifteen pounds in the panniers. In 40 degrees.

    Again, maybe not big news in the world of MTBing but man, it is so much more profound to see the difference between years two and three, Vs year one and two.

    anyhow, thanks for letting me get passionate for a sec
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    I was told by a trainer years ago (no idea if its truth or not) that humans can adapt to a conditioning program that would kill a horse.

    Its kinda weird what we can force ourselves to not just do, but over time do aggressively. Its also funny how quickly we forget the work it took get to the conditioning level we are at and mock people who think a 10 mile ride is long.
    I have to be conscious of our "little ten mile" rides when bringing new people into the sport. Easy to forget 10 miles is not so easy for the new ones. You realize it half through a ride and they look they are dying and are done for the day.

    Now most of us just start warming up at ten miles!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4
    Hi..thanks

  7. #7
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    13,743
    Quote Originally Posted by macmini706 View Post
    Hi..thanks
    For what??
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

  8. #8
    pin it
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,721
    Sometimes when I'm doing a technical section of trail, the bike might get a little squirrelly when I do a new line or the trail surface is slippery or unstable. I notice that those little wobbles and recovery help my body regain stability and balance... quicker each time it happens,
    When I was new to mtb and especially DH a wobble or a slip would cause me to loose control because I wasn't used to it and didn't know how to adjust. Conditioning helps
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bike for days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    148
    Thanks for the supportive word ya'all. Those who said it's mental are right, but not just in the sense of mind over physical limits but just getting my head around the gear prep and ride to the trail head would often deter me the next day. Today even, it was georgeous out and I was trying out a new piece of gear (don't want to get into the whole story, grr...) that had been fiddly... Got a mile towards my trail and turned around. Was going to just then scrap the ride altogether when I grabbed old faithful (my dialed in SS)and went back out. Two hours later I feel spent, but great.

    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    I have to be conscious of our "little ten mile" rides when bringing new people into the sport. Easy to forget 10 miles is not so easy for the new ones. You realize it half through a ride and they look they are dying and are done for the day.

    Now most of us just start warming up at ten miles!
    Yeah I had a friend who refused to talk to me for a few days after his first ride on real single track. I tried to stop often, and be encouraging.... But there is nothing you can do fer a point. I know I let my other friend about how much I hated him at the end of our first ride together... Hehe.

    Now I try to make sure that rides with newbs are on a recovery day. Even if the ride road, no amount of that can prep you for singletrack. It's never to show off, it's just easy to forget when a section, especially not too techy, used to trip us up at one point now that the wheels seems to float over little stuff.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bike for days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Sometimes when I'm doing a technical section of trail, the bike might get a little squirrelly when I do a new line or the trail surface is slippery or unstable. I notice that those little wobbles and recovery help my body regain stability and balance... quicker each time it happens,
    When I was new to mtb and especially DH a wobble or a slip would cause me to loose control because I wasn't used to it and didn't know how to adjust. Conditioning helps
    Yes! I love the feeling of recovering from a front wheel washing out, or not bailing when hung up on a log and then slowly following through. I used to take everything too slow. Then too fast. Now if I get hung up I have confidence in my handling skills to track stand and try to do the "redo" on the feature without putting a foot down. Not that it works every time

    It's dork as all get out but I've thought about getting one of those balance boards to work on subtle body English. Maybe I'll just pick up a bmx instead, hehe. (never rode as a kid)

Similar Threads

  1. A Friday morning--Shooters to Morning Glory--SLO
    By Structure in forum Passion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  2. One from the morning.
    By schnauzers in forum Passion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 04:29 AM
  3. Morning!
    By Kevo in Houston in forum Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
  4. A little fun this morning...
    By big0mike in forum Arizona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 02:06 PM
  5. OT: was there this morning then....
    By Buzz Cut in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •