mtbr member

More Surprises - 8/20/14

On the island in the western Atlantic where I live with TurbB!tch and the alien cat and road bikes and cruisers rule, I took my road bike for a ride this morning.

With favorable winds, which mean almost no wind at all, I weaved in and out of joggers, cruisers, police bikes and gawkers on the boardwalk. When the boardwalk ended, I returned to the road heading south.

The further south I rode, the more the road became mine. Looking for the red fox that live in the scrub pines, I saw none. An osprey fly from its nest as the highway petered out into a sand dune. Quickly turning and taking a drink, I headed north. Nodding and waving to other bikes, I kept up a decent pace.

A totally useless observation is that roadies, for the most part, wave back. Cruisers seem stunned by road bikes and recumbent riders are the real snobs of the road, refusing to acknowledge anyone. Like I said, a completely useless observation but one that has held true for many years.

At mile twenty, there is a public restroom where two cups of morning coffee demand that I stop. Finding one car in the parking lot, a couple people milling around and the restroom door to the unisex bathroom ajar, I entered to confront a woman on the throne.

I’m not going to say I saw her expression because I back peddled out of there as fast as humanly possible. I heard her say “my family was supposed to be watching the door.” I replied, “Oh, you mean the ones on their phones?”

Twice in a little over a week?* Geez, what are the chances. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will knock even if the door is ajar.

PS: The lock on the unisex bathroom worked just fine when it was my turn!

* If you don’t know what I’m talking about, go back and read “Surprises” that I posted last week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Great stuff, Rev.

We met a hiker on a high ridge who told us his fam is blocked in at a remote campground (on our route) by a fallen tree. As we ride near, planning to update Mom that we'll summon help, we see that she and the kids are all naked, splashing in the knee-deep water. Rescue preparations, I guess. We ride by and wave. They drove by us after finding a little-used alternate and moving some rocks, all aglow after a good skinny dip and self rescue.

mtbr member
    The things you see when you keep your eyes open are always interesting. Their self-rescue is like something I used to teach in a time management course. Never respond to the first request for anything. Maybe the second request and definitely the third but if you ignore people, they usually figure out how to do themselves what they want you to do for them.

Gnarly
    I find most riders are friendly and return a greeting

Liked your continuing series of surprises.

My surprise story happened this spring. We were returning to the car after a long ride and I had to "go". There was a porta-potty next to the parking lot. I hesitated to go in, expecting to find it filthy and smelly and for a moment I thought of just going behind a tree. I took my chances and entered the crapper... and holy moly it was clean and spotless! It was even stocked with hand sanitizer. Yup a surprise for me!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    In a former life I taught at a school for kids with special needs. I was in the tiny john off the dining room when a student barged in on me. I calmly told him to knock next time to be sure no one was in there. He said ok, and as I walked away I heard him knock on the door.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.