Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Loser

MORE ice riding pics!?!?!?!?

Inspired by the other ice riding pics, I made up some new tires. Whereas my old set had about 50 studs per tire, these new ones have over 200. I put the old tires on my wife's bike and we headed out to a local swamp. I remember 15 years ago on winter going hiking on this swamp, but recollection was rather foggy.

We had a blast, its such a cool feeling riding in places that are just unaccessible during warmer months. My wife tried to kayak here this summer and made it perhaps 1/10th as far as we did today. My studs worked great, like riding velcro, I could wheelie (front and back) and do just about anything I could do on the dirt.

Unfortunately my wife found the limits of the old tires when she leaned into a corner - those ice crashes happen fast.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

beer thief
    You cheap bastid, giving her the sh!tty tires. She'll never ice ride with you again at that rate. Or maybe that's what you want.

Merry Christmas, John.

Formerly DMR For Life
    looks like the dog is having a bit of fun staying up on that ice too
    Merry Christmas
    DMR

Loser

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by radair
    You cheap bastid, giving her the sh!tty tires. She'll never ice ride with you again at that rate. Or maybe that's what you want.

Merry Christmas, John.
    Hey, thanks Rob - right back atcha...

What my wife did say when we got back in the car was, "Can you put more screws in my tires?".

Of course the set of tires she has have the liner GLUED in, so it will be a major pain to put more screws in (and after just finishing my set, I'm just about all done with screws and tires for a little while.

She must have said, "This is so cool" about 100 times while we were riding. It is a lot of fun. Though when you think about it, its kind of lame - no rocks, no hills.

John

Loser

No problems...

Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    looks like the dog is having a bit of fun staying up on that ice too
    Merry Christmas
    DMR
    Some one over at NEMBA said the same thing. The dog was a bit freaked when we first got on the ice. After about 10 mins she got used to it and was having a ball. She was running, jumping and scratching at the ice.

I don't mean to be defensive, but I'd never put my dog in harms way, in any way. If she wasn't comfortable after a few minutes we'd have cut the ride short.

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    many years back there where 10 or so of us that hung out and rode we'd show up at the local lake and chase of the skaters we would line up 5 at a time and do 3 lap flat track style motos top 2 would advance and so on . very hard on bikes and clothes but boy was that fun.

Loser

Sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by dadat40
    many years back there where 10 or so of us that hung out and rode we'd show up at the local lake and chase of the skaters we would line up 5 at a time and do 3 lap flat track style motos top 2 would advance and so on . very hard on bikes and clothes but boy was that fun.
    That sounds awesome. I'd love to get something like that going. I've got three other folks I ride with consistently, and only one is interested in buy/making studded tires. We talked about doing something like that on NEMBA last year, though they were talking about doing time trial style so no one gets hurt. 5 up sounds like way more fun!

John

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    Hey, thanks Rob - right back atcha...

What my wife did say when we got back in the car was, "Can you put more screws in my tires?".

Of course the set of tires she has have the liner GLUED in, so it will be a major pain to put more screws in (and after just finishing my set, I'm just about all done with screws and tires for a little while.
    You could just swap your front for her rear (tire, that is). You'd both stick pretty well, and you wouldn't look so selfish.

Of course, she could just build herself some tires. Lazy woman...(I kid)
    We all get it in the end.

Loser

Good thought except...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    You could just swap your front for her rear (tire, that is). You'd both stick pretty well, and you wouldn't look so selfish.

Of course, she could just build herself some tires. Lazy woman...(I kid)
    My front is a 2.3 which won't fit in her chainstays. I'm running a 2.1 in back so that it will fit in mine.

Perhaps berating my wife for not wanting to use power tools and cut up her hands is the way to go hmmmm.

John

Formerly DMR For Life
    i didn't mean to infer that you were putting your dog in harms way...just that your dog was enjoying herself
    DMR

Loser

Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    i didn't mean to infer that you were putting your dog in harms way...just that your dog was enjoying herself
    DMR
    Cool, I was afraid this thread was going to deteriorate into a "people shouldn't bring their dogs on the ice" diatribe.

Now that I type that it sounds stupid.

John

jrm
    mtbr member

Ever think of wearing a floatation vest?

Just asking...from someone who fel through the ice as a kid
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Loser

How thick was the ice?

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Just asking...from someone who fel through the ice as a kid
    We kept an eye on the ice, there were a few places where it was not thick, but anyplace we rode it was 6"+ . It's been cold here for the last three weeks - I mean not above freezing cold. I'm not sure what good a floatation device would do with water this cold, I think hypothermia would get you regardless of whether you were floating or sinking.

John

FatBike Fiend

I get nervous on thin ice

...so try to to not ride any that isn't at least several hundred feet thick. Happy holidays from Alaska.

Wildfire

FatBike Fiend

Whoops, pics attached

Riding on the Knik Glacier in Southcentral AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    ...so try to to not ride any that isn't at least several hundred feet thick. Happy holidays from Alaska.

Wildfire
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    WHOA!!! Those snow pics are biitchin Wildfire...makes me wish to be out there gettin some of that. Jisch...you are a blessed man. My wife won't go near a bike let alone try something like that.

Merry Christmas folks.

banned

I like riding in the snow and Ice...BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Riding on the Knik Glacier in Southcentral AK.
    These pictures are making me cold just looking at them. Polar bears out there?

I Love my Rize

Wildfire you da man

I trade places with you in a heartbeat. Those are really really cool pics as you make me so jealous. I guess some of us have all the luck........lol. Like you bike setup as I see you have a set of snowcats on those babies. ICEBIKING RULES

Look out!
    Cool pics. Sorry, I couldn't resist. How about a close up photo of the tire with the 200 studs in it. I would be interested in seeing it. Please and thank you. Hope you have a merry Christmas.

Mark
    Last edited by mtnbkrid; 12-25-2005 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Spelling error. Thanks for asking.
    Ride the bike.

lover of trees
    Oct 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Nice pictures everyone~

I just posted in the NY Swamp ice riding thread. I have Specialized Enduro's 2.00's with about 245 1/2" (I'd recommend 3/8") self-tapping metal lathe screws from Home DePot in each tire. They work dangerously well! Amazing traction and just don't put your hands anywhere near these puppies. I lined the tires with a spare tube and use a Special ed thorn resistent tube to keep this nice. I would also use a soft road tire as a liner if I had one. Maybe cut the beads off if needed. I drilled the holes for these tires from outside in (there's perforations on the knobs that make this very easy) and then drill the screws in from the inside.

Most fun on two wheels where there's ice to ride.
    Last edited by xc_xtc; 12-25-2005 at 10:45 AM.

sh*t eater
    Jan 2004
    Pictures from the 2004 "world ice racing championships" in Minnesota. The sun came out and made everything pretty wet.

Loser

The liner problem solved?

I was thinking about what could be used for liner as I was driving around yesterday - trying to think outside the "bike" box. How about an old seatbelt? I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to hack one out of an old car. I'll let you know how it works.

Those MN ice pics are great!

John

lover of trees
    Oct 2005

Idea!

Why not use an old road biking tire. If it doesn't sit right...cut out the beads on the sidewall. I'm using an old bike tube and thorn resistent (thicker) tubes for now...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xc_xtc
    Why not use an old road biking tire. If it doesn't sit right...cut out the beads on the sidewall. I'm using an old bike tube and thorn resistent (thicker) tubes for now...

Cheers
    Use an old inner tube as mentioned above. I have had zero flats since doing that two winters ago.

mtbr member
    This looks so awesome and fun! These are the types of things that we don't get to experience in cali....I'm envious.

It looks your dog was trying to keep his/her footing for the pic too....

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    Inspired by the other ice riding pics, I made up some new tires. Whereas my old set had about 50 studs per tire, these new ones have over 200. I put the old tires on my wife's bike and we headed out to a local swamp. I remember 15 years ago on winter going hiking on this swamp, but recollection was rather foggy.

We had a blast, its such a cool feeling riding in places that are just unaccessible during warmer months. My wife tried to kayak here this summer and made it perhaps 1/10th as far as we did today. My studs worked great, like riding velcro, I could wheelie (front and back) and do just about anything I could do on the dirt.

Unfortunately my wife found the limits of the old tires when she leaned into a corner - those ice crashes happen fast.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast