mtbr dismember

More Arizona Trail

A few weeks ago I tried to get someone to accompany me on a point to point ride on the Arizona Trail between Picketpost and Kelvin. Since I got no takers I did an out and back south from Picketpost. The vast, remote, and rugged terrain as far as the eye could see made the ride quite an adventure. So I decided to try riding in the reverse direction starting from Kelvin. It took a lot longer to get to and find the trailhead than I anticipated and as I neared it I drove though snow, sleet and freezing temperatures. This landscape was even more remote and intimidating than that from the Picketpost side. But of course after about 14 hours of driving I was going to do the ride.

Not far from where I parked there was an AZT trailhead sign and I took it. However, it took me to the Gila River and a lot of deep mud which quickly messed up my bike and shoes. I could not believe I was supposed to ride across a fairly big river, so I floundered about for quite awhile looking for the trail. I was about to give up but then I recalled someone in the Arizona forum saying you had to go back across the bridge from the parking area to get on the trail. They were right, but by then I'd started about 90 minutes later than I planned. My original goal was to go far enough to meet up where I finished the last ride from Picketpost. But with only 8 1/2 hours of light that didn't seem wise.

The temperature was in the low 40's with a light rain most of the time and the trail, although not very technical, was very intimidating due to the remoteness and nasty weather. I seemed to be doing a lot of descending at the start of the ride so I figured going back would take longer than the ride out. So I turned around and headed back a bit after four hours. I didn't realize I failed to restart the GPS after finding the real trailhead so I could have gone a bit farther. This trail is really out there and I didn't find it all that enjoyable, perhaps due to the not so great weather. The sun came out once in a while and the temperature hit about 60 degrees before cooling off into the low 40's near the end of the ride. I think the point to point ride from Picketpost to Kelvin would be a much better way to ride this trail. More photos on my SmugMug site.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 01-03-2013 at 07:39 PM.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Pictures suk
    You Suk
    Story suks
    NOT !!
    Another Wherewolf Epic!!
    Thanks again!
    G
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice! Thanks for posting, headed that way sometime soon as well... We plan to take a detour and check it out!
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    WOW Wherewolf great pics, I live in PHX and have not been down there yet, now after seeing your pictures i am gonna have to make a trip ...kinda looks like the BCT but nicer scenery

Later,
    JohnnyK

blet drive
    wow wow wow
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Beautiful pics brother. Another reminder that I need to leave the city once in a while...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Another awesome epic; thank you for sharing. The second pic in the series is simply stunning, and the rest are truly wonderful. But now I've looked through them all a for a second time and they are all simply amazing.

Mr. June Bug and I will retire in the next year are two and this area has a very powerful appeal for riding.

I'm sure this has been asked before, since your photos are so consistently great, but what type of camera are you using? Anything you would change about your camera set up if you were to start over? How do you carry your camera?

mtbr member
    Your pics. brightened up a cloudy Friday, thanks!

pin it
    Great pics I especially love the train (trestle?) bridge which is stunning in that setting
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr dismember

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    ...what type of camera are you using? Anything you would change about your camera set up if you were to start over? How do you carry your camera?
    I have a a Canon G12 and I carry it in a $5 Walmart bag attached to my Camelbak chest strap. It's a good compromise between a P&S camera and my big, bulky DSLR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i love that second image steve...it looks like fhdl in the desert!

mtbr member
    Rockin! Looks like a good time.

Tucson, AZ
    We have this race down here that uses that section you rode. The Gila 100 | Arizona Endurance Series

Imagine riding from Superior to Oracle in one day.....20+ hours.

Give it a crank
    Great shots, awesome ride, nice bike!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Nice snaps! That is special riding down there in the Gila Canyons. Be sure to come back for the Spring Fling in March. We'll have another shuttle set up. That you do not want to miss! We did the shuttle last December, and it was a blast. I punked out on the second one this Spring Fling due to chump legs and a cloudy head, so I'm really biting at the bit to descend back into the Gila. That 7 miles is sweet!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Those are great pictures! I spent a summer in Phoenix back in 2000 and I still kick myself for not making it out to more of the trails there. I think I recall reading mtbr reviews abouut some of the trails not being hard. I had it in my head that hard trails meant more fun, but over the years I've learned that difficulty doesn't directly equate to fun factor.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Freaking awesome. Go screw yourself I hope you froze. The mossy terrarium PNW place I live is 40 and raining half the year.

mtbr member
    Awesome pics!!! Next time we are down there I want to check that trail out!
    Looks so warm!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Fantastic pics! I have been out by Picketpost for hiking, but I have never seen the bridge. It looks like a great place to bike. I would love to try it sometime.

they took the bar
    Awesome, just awesome! love em. thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    awesome pics
    keep them coming
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Nice job on the river run! Any time I'm out there I kick myself for not riding Picketpost more often.

mtbr member

Picket Post to Kelvin Bridge

We were just down in Mesa this weekend for 4 days. We drove out and did the run from Picket Post to Kelvin Bridge. I'll write up and share a little later this week. It was an epic day with five of us finishing on fumes and empty water bladders. Awesome section of trail that is a blast to ride.

Picket Post to Kelvin Bridge AZ Trail 16 & 17 by dr.dover at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr dismember

Hot!

Average temperature 98! Wasn't that a bit dangerous? Fantastic ride though and I can't wait to do it again next winter.
    BTW, I got back there to do the entire point to point.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 04-29-2013 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    The Garmin always shows the temp about 10 degrees higher. We were living on the edge with this one. Should have started out at least two hours earlier. It was getting toasty about 3 pm. Better planning if we ever do it again.