Hοmo Velo

Monsters in the closet

So, I a few days ago I told you about user conflicts on the trail that everybody rides when the snow starts to disappear in Trondheim. This one down by the fjord becomes snow-free more than a month before anything else is rideable.

The trail itself is very smooth and sanitized and is used by everybody including parents pushing strollers. Once you start looking outside the trail, though, there's a lot of meat for a thawing spring cyclists ready for other challenges than pushing through snow up to the BB shell.

A few of the difficult sections (the monsters) I have looked at, found the lines, but not had the guts to go for them. I keep pushing them back into the closet and telling myself "one day".

So, I'm here on a short trip to NorCal and reading the Norway forums when I see that one of the gutsiest locals, Geir Hanssen, dragged one monster out of the closet on yesterday and gave it a spanking. He's a really good rider, so I'm not surprised. This is the easy line. There is one further to the right that's just insane and to this date probably still unridden.

All pictures by Ingar Ballo, Trondheim.

The other monster hanging out in the closet is these stairs, which are part of a trail down from an old lighthouse. They aren't really that difficult except for one nasty turn that nobody to my knowledge has ridden yet. I keep analyzing it and can't figure out how to do it.

I don't see how you can roll it, so the obvious solution is to nose wheelie on that small platform. However, the steps leading into the turn are so steep, it's impossible to control the bike properly. Also, it is so tight in there you have to position the front wheel all the way out on the edge for the saddle to clear the rail as you come around.

I know its hard to judge by just looking at 2D pictures, but I'd like to have some suggestions on how to do this. Maybe I can go home and be the first one.

Attached Images Attached Images
    If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

Medium?

What about this?

Jed Peters
    You're here?

Are you taking your bike home w/ you?

We're riding sunday morning....

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    What about this?
    Looked at that option, but it involves making a sharp turn in the middle of a steep flight of stairs. I can't do it, because I can't control the speed of the bike very well bumping down the steps.

The other option is to go off the stairs even further up and come over that rock above your arrow, but that looks like a scary roll. Hucking it or wheelie droping it means landing in a flight of stairs, which is a scary thought too.

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    You're here?

Are you taking your bike home w/ you?

We're riding sunday morning....
    Yes, I'm here and the Moots is coming home with me Friday. My wife is here too, so I'm only going to do a short, local ride tomorrow morning, then spend the rest of the weekend with her.

Jed Peters
    You guys should come over for dinner some time.

Check your mail....

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    You guys should come over for dinner some time.
    Thanks. Would have loved that, but we've got plans for Sunday and the drive to Elk Grove is not doable on a weekday afternoon.

Next time

Seriously ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Viking
    Looked at that option, but it involves making a sharp turn in the middle of a steep flight of stairs. I can't do it, because I can't control the speed of the bike very well bumping down the steps.

The other option is to go off the stairs even further up and come over that rock above your arrow, but that looks like a scary roll. Hucking it or wheelie droping it means landing in a flight of stairs, which is a scary thought too.
    Cant you skip the stairs altogheter and come down on the side ? assuming there is no erosion issues (it looks like it is pretty much rock from here). I usually find stairs and the alike kinda predictable and boring.

Gosh, that looks steep.

Gui
    Attached Images Attached Images