Thread: Moho Slix

banned
    Mar 2004

Moho Slix

Hey guys...does anybody know anything or have any info/input on the Mountain Cycles Moho Slix XC Frame? They've got a great deal on them on Greenfish Adventure Sports. It looks like a solid design but... It's a discontinued model which really doesn't bother me. What does concern me is that this bike was introduced as a 2003 model. That's the only year it was made. It's been discontinued for 2004. Why was it discontinued? Looks to be a simple 4-bar design not unlike Trek's Fuel, Kona's Dawg and Kikapu. Fill me in guys.

Thanks mtbikernc69

banned
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Replaced with the Zen. Supposedly a better design, but I think the big difference was that the pivot locations on Mountain Cycle multilink bikes allows lots of bob. This year, they changed the frame design and now benefit from SPV shocks.

I would recommend and extended test ride to see how much bob there is and consider a Propedal or SPV upgrade or Darren's Push service. Other than that, just check the geometry. The bike is supposed to be made burly enough for heavy duty riding.

Buy wisely because I've seen the frame on closeout from several bike shops advertising in the mgs for like $499 and up. You can get the frames on ebay for a steal, too.

Thanks Steve, The geometry looks good. 70-71% head tube, 72-73% seat tube. The medium has a 23.2 inch top tube with about 30.5 inches standover clearance. It comes with the SID Duel shock. Would consider the Manitou SPV. putting a minute 2 on front. Should'nt have a problem with BOB.
    This may sound dumb...the reason I want this bike over the Kona King Kikapu is two-fold. 1. It has 4 inches rear travel instead of 3.5. and 2. It's RED, the King Kikapu doesn't come in red. I've always had red cars and read bikes.Call it a fetish if you will. The red and silver just looks sweet on the Moho Slix. I've always built up my own bikes, too. I've got a 96 Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I'm still riding now. Don't know why everyone keeps calling them Crackendales. Mine's been rode hard, crashed and put up wet. Never seen 1 sign of cracks. Down tube even has a few dents. Has gouges from chain suck, too.
    Thanks again for you input. By the way, Dream Theater rocks!

Mark

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    Hey guys...does anybody know anything or have any info/input on the Mountain Cycles Moho Slix XC Frame? They've got a great deal on them on Greenfish Adventure Sports. It looks like a solid design but... It's a discontinued model which really doesn't bother me. What does concern me is that this bike was introduced as a 2003 model. That's the only year it was made. It's been discontinued for 2004. Why was it discontinued? Looks to be a simple 4-bar design not unlike Trek's Fuel, Kona's Dawg and Kikapu. Fill me in guys.

Thanks mtbikernc69
    My friend has the SLiX before they changed it to the tubed version, I liked the moncouque style alot better but sucked for water bottle placement. It works for him and is pretty plush and rides good.
    About being burly enough as someone said, well I dont know about that......it all depends on what you consider heavy duty xc and such I guess

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    This may sound dumb...the reason I want this bike over the Kona King Kikapu is two-fold. 1. It has 4 inches rear travel instead of 3.5. and 2. It's RED, the King Kikapu doesn't come in red. I've always had red cars and read bikes.Call it a fetish if you will. The red and silver just looks sweet on the Moho Slix.
    The 2004 Kikapu Delux is red & silver.

http://www.konaworld.com/2k4bikes/2k4_kikapu_dlx.cfm

So was the 2003 Kikapu.

http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/2k3_kikapu.cfm