mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Moab Mountain Bike Camp???

Has anyone been to a mtb riding camp in Moab? I'm wanting to check out the Alison Dunlap Adventure Camp (www.alisondunlap.com)...looks like there is 3 in 2014! I've heard GREAT things about them! Anyone have any thoughts?

Candlestick Maker
    Welcome to the forums...

Monty Python - Spam - YouTube
    baker

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr01 View Post
    Has anyone been to a mtb riding camp in Moab? I'm wanting to check out the Alison Dunlap Adventure Camp (http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/www.a...p.com)...looks like there is 3 in 2014! I've heard GREAT things about them! Anyone have any thoughts?
    I've been to a Better Ride clinic and it was a positive experience. Make sure that what will be taught at the Alison Dunlap clinic lines up with your current skills and where you want to go with those and it should be a great experience. Go for it!
    Just remember that Moab is scorchingly hot in the summer; spring or fall is much better.

I've also been following James Wilson's Web site and have ordered some of his programs. If you do go to a camp, get there with the best possible conditioning/fitness level to get the most out of it.
    His latest post here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi mtnbkr01:
    I'm Franklin and I work with Rim Tours, the bike outfitter (Moab's original) that organizes and supports Alison's training camps. The camp is detailed here: Alison Dunlap Adventure Camps | Rim Tours but perhaps more to the point, here's what one racer said about the training, and obviously, if she keeps coming back and keeps getting more out of it, that says a lot:
    “Every year at this camp I come away with skills that not only increase my performance during racing, but elevate my level of joy in riding!”
    Carolyn Gallaway

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    MOAB is a must do experience for any MTB - since it is at 4,000 ' altitude before you start your climbing, it would be a good idea to be in shape. While courses are fun, consider just going with a group of guys as there are lots of great trails and there are shuttle vans.

If you have a bike not suited to technical step trails or fly in or just want to rent a cool state of the art bike, check with the shops and reserve a bike - there are lots of high end bikes worth demoing.

On a long weekend, we would get there Friday and do a late afternoon or night ride on slickrock pausing to look down at the town. Then two more days of MTB and 1 day riding mototrcycles with the local MC outfitter. They provide all the bikes and gear and take you out to cool riding areas. Be sure that you go at the right time of year. It is HOT from May - Sept. as I remember.