Loser

Moab/Fruita w/ kids?

I'm in the final stages of planning our trip out west. We are landing in SLC April 16th, picking up an RV and our bikes and heading down to the Moab area. I'm an intermediate/advanced rider, my wife and kids (age 11 and 13) are casual riders. We're in the area for 10 days.

Any hints on good trails where we will all be happy? I'm willing to ride to their level if I have to :-D I was thinking of doing the Gemini Bridges ride as a shuttle run - its 14 miles - that's a long way for my kids, unless its largely downhill?

When the date gets closer, I'll be looking for someone to ride with on the one or two serious rides I'll get to slip in somehow.

Thanks in advance,
    John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

KgB
    SNGLSPD

why don't you take them somewhere

that they want to go?
    I would go to arches national park and Deadhorse Statepark.
    No riding but the scenery...
    I've been inside too long.

Loser

Sorry, that wasn't clear...

Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    that they want to go?
    I would go to arches national park and Deadhorse Statepark.
    No riding but the scenery...

The majority of the trip will be hiking in Arches, Deadhorse, horseback riding etc, etc... We've got that part all planned out. I was hoping to find some rides to do as well. We always have a blast riding as a family...

John

KgB
    SNGLSPD

there are plenty

of 4 wheel drive roads that would be good family fun with great scenery.
    Sounds like a great trip,have fun and if you get bored with Moab swing by Fruita.
    lots of horses and hiking here as well I also hear the bike trails are pretty good too

mtbr member
    I'll be out there 22nd to 25th April with the whole family (wife plus three kids age 16, 12 and 10).

We're planning on riding Procupine Rim, Amassa Back and testing out a little of Slickrock.

I think it depends on their ability and interest. My kids have been begging me to take them to Moab to ride for four years now! Of course I've always come back from Moab with all the tall tales from the trail - I'm sure that's got them jazzed about it.

We'll be out there with a rather large group from BOMB International (60+ riders). Can't wait!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    of 4 wheel drive roads that would be good family fun with great scenery.
    Sounds like a great trip,have fun and if you get bored with Moab swing by Fruita.
    lots of horses and hiking here as well I also hear the bike trails are pretty good too
    Any trails you can clue me in on that might be good candidates?

John

Who's that guy?
    Klondike Bluff is a pretty basic ride. Once you get off the dirt road its a bit of a climb up some slickrock but still fun and you can take it at an easy pace.
    [SIZE=2]
    Slow and steady gets you...7th place.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"Hey! Where is everybody going??"[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Shuttle

I think the only way to ride with casual riders is to shuttle. This way you can both have fun. You'll still have to wait for them but you'll still have fun. I doubt that they can make the climbs if they're casual riders. The Porcupine Rim shuttle rocks but there's still a sizeable climb at the beginning, very technical spots, and a long ride back to town at the end.

Jed Peters
    I hear Screampint over there in Fruita, CO runs a babysit-while people ride-business.

I'd check with her.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    I hear Screampint over there in Fruita, CO runs a babysit-while people ride-business.

I'd check with her.
    Cool, I'll be dropping my kids off on April 24th. Not to worry, I can pick them up by the weekend.

I'm trying to get my kids psyched for Klondike Bluffs with tales of dino prints and Fred Flintstone's house.

beer thief
    John - Rustlers Loop and Horsethief Bench are prime candidates for family rides. Both are at the Kokopelli area off the Loma exit, just west of Fruita.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

a few

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    Any trails you can clue me in on that might be good candidates?

John
    Kokopeli off hw128
    onion creek
    top of the world
    klondike bluffs
    long canyon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Loma

Quote Originally Posted by radair
    John - Rustlers Loop and Horsethief Bench are prime candidates for family rides. Both are at the Kokopelli area off the Loma exit, just west of Fruita.
    Horsethief Bench/family ride. hehe. If they clean the drop in you can be sure there ready for Moore fun later. Ya hoo!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you.

The Turbo Blaster
    Usually the "easy" trails in Moab are pretty sandy. I haven't been there since 1997, but I remember Gemini having a fair amount of sand. It might be enough to wear out your kids, so set your expectations properly. Plan on spending an hour or two longer than if were just you.

A better option for a family ride is Klondike Bluffs. It's not hard, but it has slickrock, dinosaur tracks, and it tops out at the border of Arches National Park. You can't ride into the park, so everyone leave their bikes and hikes the last section. You end up on a cliff overlooking the park, with a view that few people ever get to see, because you have to earn it. That will give the kids something to talk about it.

Des(s)ert Rat
    For a mere $100 an hour!

I think it really depends on the children's abilities. My 11 year has been on singletrack since he was 5 and has ridden in CO, UT, NV, AZ, CA, OR, WA, and BC. I wouldn't hesitate taking him on Porcupine, however, he is not the "average" 11 year old on a bike.

Some trails in Moab might be: Klondike Bluffs (super easy and the kids can look for the prints), Gemini (but there is a significant climb before the last shot to the parkinglot).

In Fruita we have stuff in Rabbit Valley (better during the weekdays due to OHV traffic), the Kokopelli (Rustler's, Horsethief, Mary's, Steve's), and 18 Road (Prime Cut and Kessel Run).

I frequently take both my kids out on Rustler's and Prime Cut. My 6 year old is still on a Trail-A-Bike, but Rustler's, most of Mary's, and Prime Cut are very manageable.

Here are some pics of some Fruita trails with kids:

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_spin
    Usually the "easy" trails in Moab are pretty sandy. I haven't been there since 1997, but I remember Gemini having a fair amount of sand. It might be enough to wear out your kids, so set your expectations properly. Plan on spending an hour or two longer than if were just you.

A better option for a family ride is Klondike Bluffs. It's not hard, but it has slickrock, dinosaur tracks, and it tops out at the border of Arches National Park. You can't ride into the park, so everyone leave their bikes and hikes the last section. You end up on a cliff overlooking the park, with a view that few people ever get to see, because you have to earn it. That will give the kids something to talk about it.
    Gemini Bridges is a wide, dusty, loose (especially after Jeep Safari) dirt road. I can't imagine your kids enjoying that ride. Mine wouldn't. Although the view is cool once you get there, so maybe the shuttle option would work. If they can handle some minor tech, I'd agree with Mr. Spin and others on Klondike Bluffs. Also check out the Sovereign single track out that way as well.

Porc Rim would scare me to death to take younger kids on, even if they have the legs and technical ability to handle it. Exposure.

Slick Rock trail would be fun for them. Also consider Fruita like others have said if you can spare a day to travel a bit.

mtbr member
    My two cents (Slickrock Vs Porcupine Rim).

I think the limited exposure on Porc Rim would pose less of a risk than the steeps on Slickrock. Descending's no big deal...but I'd hate to see them get 1/2 way up a steep ascent and topple over backwards on Slickrock.

Although my kids are pretty trail savvy and exposure doesn't bother them - it still creeps me out (seeing them ride it) when we ride exposed trails! I work with them to keep their focus "on-trail" so they don't get fixated on the exposure and ride off the side.

The steeps (ascents) on Slickrock are a challenge for almost any level of rider...we will be out at least on the practice loop in about four weeks. I just don't think my kids would enjoy that extreme level of terrain - it's the most taxing ten miles I've ever ridden.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Flowtronic engineer
    Do not take casual/novice riders on Porcupine Rim. It will be a looooong ride. I don't think the exposure from the singletrack poses as much an issue as the exposure to the elements and a bumpy ride for 12 or so miles.
    You should ditch the fam for a 1/2 day and go hit yourself though, for decent, accomplished riders it is a trail not to be missed.
    Shuttling Gemini Bridges would not be a bad idea. Its basic and can be sandy but passes through some cool terrain.
    There is a new bit of trail called the Bar M loop or something like that, almost across the road from the bottom Gemini trailhead that shops have been sending novice riders out on. Its kind of like Moab's version of the Rustler loop at Fruita, a good intro to regional riding.
    Definitely take them up to check out Slickrock, if only to go out a little ways to the Practice Loop split, there is a fun bowl out there and nothing too intimidating, but it should not be missed, just don't try and drag them around the full main loop.
    Like others have said, Klondike is cool too, but I wouldn't get too excited about getting everyone out to the end of the trail (its an out and back) unless everyone is feeling good, but go as least as far as the first big swaths of slickrock and check out the dino tracks...they are very cool.
    Drink lots of water, slather on the sunblock and have fun.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

TJ.
    MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer

Truth be told.

Moab is not kid friendly for rides. Fruita would be your better choice.

TJ.
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft