mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Moab Brand Trails/Geezer passion

I turned 63 yesterday, I'm finally rocking a Photobucket account and here we are.
    Right around Memorial Day weekend, Mr. June Bug & I were in Moab and checked out the Brand Trails. The MOAB Brand Trails are a system of linked trails 9 ish miles north of Moab, at the turn off to the Bar M Chuckwagon. The main trail names spell out MOAB. The ride, as all rides do, begins uneventfully in the parking lot.

We headed out on Bar M, a non-technical two-track loop that gets you where you need to go to access the other trails. If you squint a bit, you can see two 4-wheelers and a mountain biker, just at the top of the trail marker. These are shared trails: 4-wheelers, motorcycles and mountain bikes are all mixed in together.

An intersection turned up pretty quickly and we opted to take Lazy Trail to spin some nice singletrack.

We hooked back up to Bar M and found the turn off to Bar B trail. By reading the sign at the bottom of the post, we realize that This Trail is Too Damn Hard!

Ahhh, the Rocking A trailhead.

Not certain what lies ahead, we decide to just go as far as we can. Mr. June Bug is technically adept, me...not so much, but I'm game.

Truly, slickrock cannot be sweeter than this. He heads down:

and away

The rust colored line marks the route through the slickrock.

My turn:

We had so much fun on Rockin A that we contemplated the Circle O trail, but it was late in the afternoon and we had a campsite reserved at Dead Horse Point State Park that night, so we headed back to the van by way of the E-Z trail -- more nice singletrack.

Don't miss the Brand trails. Bar M is Beginner compatible; Lazy, E-Z, Rocking A and likely O are all advanced beginner/intermediate and Rockin A is 100% slickrock as is Circle O.

Another nice feature of the Brand trails is that you can ride a dedicated paved bike road (no cars or motor powered traffic) from the north end of Moab to the Brand trails parking lot.

We got a tiny cabin at Archview Resort, very close by the Brand trails, so that made it easy.

Dead Horse Point State Park also has the Intrepid Trail, 9 or so miles of Intermediate singletrack.
    Last edited by June Bug; 07-30-2011 at 07:21 AM.

XXIX
    Very nice, I hope to make it out there some day.

mtbr member extraordinair
    rep +1 to June Bug! Pics of Moab is pics of Moab...its good enough that you had an awesome time, no matter what trails you rode or didn't ride
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

wannabee
    Nice stuff. I hope I am still riding in 10 years!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You've got a decade on me too so you're inspiring! Haven't been to Moab since these trails were developed so I've got to get out there ASAP! Thanks for the pics and info!