Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moab advice

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bikerx40 
#1 ·
I'm planning a trip to Moab in mid October, does anyone have any advice on lodging. I'm looking for moderate priced hotels/motels. We are flying in to SLC and then driving down, no camping for this outing. Any advice on bike rentals would also be appreciated. Thanks!

#4 ·
I just returned from Moab yesterday. My wife and I were doing the budget trip, but didn't want to camp (it's a long story). Anyway, we stayed at the Slickrock Campground http://www.moab-utah.com/slickrock/campground.html in their 'Cabins'. The cabins are very basic: A full bed, twin bed, ancient A/C unit, heat, windows, porch, picnic table, and a grill.

The nice thing is that they have a clean community bathrooms with showers. I've always camped in Moab and a couple of things that are hard to find are showers (nice after a ride) and drinking water.

The Slickrock Campground also has a pool and three hot tubs, which was a luxury after riding for 4 hours! The cabins cost only $30 per night compared to camping, which is about $15-18 per night.

The campground is basically a huge RV park with cabins and tent camping too.

Just a thought.

-Ryan

#5 ·
bikerx40 said:
....Anyway, we stayed at the Slickrock Campground
Yeah, I stayed at that campground for a couple of months. Definetly one of my favorite RV parks anywhere in the country. Lots of big old trees, and yes clean bathrooms. You can ride into town in about five minutes (Faster if you're late for work) and the camp store has a good selection of junk food. Those cabins are a steal in season with Hotel rooms running $80-$90 a night. Do you really need cable tv and a mini-fridge?

Of course, you should really just camp, but I guess flying in with camping AND riding gear could be a hassle.

Did I mention the big old trees? A rare and precious commodity in these parts. Also a pool table and horsehoe pit, and a resturant that's never open.

#6 ·
Rooster was a bas-tard

singletrack said:
Yeah, I stayed at that campground for a couple of months. Definetly one of my favorite RV parks anywhere in the country. Lots of big old trees, and yes clean bathrooms. You can ride into town in about five minutes (Faster if you're late for work) and the camp store has a good selection of junk food. Those cabins are a steal in season with Hotel rooms running $80-$90 a night. Do you really need cable tv and a mini-fridge?

Of course, you should really just camp, but I guess flying in with camping AND riding gear could be a hassle.

Did I mention the big old trees? A rare and precious commodity in these parts. Also a pool table and horsehoe pit, and a resturant that's never open.
The only thing that sucked about that place, was the farm that is located behind the cabins. There was this freakin' rooster that crowed (or whatever you want to call it) for 30 minutes every morning around 4 am! The sun wasn't even up yet!!!

I thought that roosters waited until the sun came up? He just had it out for us I guess... I can't imagine how loud it must have been for the campers in the tents along side the fence:)

-Ryan

#7 ·
bikerx40 said:
The only thing that sucked about that place, was the farm that is located behind the cabins. There was this freakin' rooster that crowed (or whatever you want to call it) for 30 minutes every morning around 4 am! The sun wasn't even up yet!!!

I thought that roosters waited until the sun came up? He just had it out for us I guess... I can't imagine how loud it must have been for the campers in the tents along side the fence:)

-Ryan
I never noticed any roosters, but then again I can sleep through ANYTHING.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.