Paste eater

Mid Winter Passion (lots-o-pics)

It's that time of year. The time of year when my feelings on Winter go from, "meh, could be worse..." To "Man, this really blows!". While, I'm a very much looking forward to warmer*temperatures*and the nice feeling of sun, shorts and T-shirts, January has really been pretty decent. December, for the most part, was a bit cooler and had a bit of weather as described in my "Winter Blues" post.

Since then, the weather has been stellar in the desert. It was Christmas day that really kicked off this amazing run we're still on.

Keels and Lina dog on Poison Spider Christmas day.
    Mountain Biking Poison Spider Mesa

On the way home, we stopped to check out some of the more famous petroglyphs here in Moab.
    Long horned sheep petroglyph

Keels petting the buffalo, hippo or whatever it is...
    petroglyph

"Wall Street" is a hot spot for Moab climbers and home to the petroglyphs posted above.
    Moab "wall street"

This time of year, the days are way to short, so after work type riding doesn't really happen, but the weekends and weekday sneaky rides have been awesome. I think I've strapped on tights three times all Winter. Some more from one of my*favorites, Amasa Back.

Can you see the climbers?
    Moab Climbers Near Amasa Back

Always time to stop and pet a mesa.
    Petting a Mesa

We spent a somewhat cooler day on the North side of*Sovereign / Cedar Mountain. Wouldn't make this ride a priority, but there is some great slickrock slabs to play on out there and one hell of a climb up Cedar Mountain. If you can clean it, you drink less beer then me.

Said Slickrock Slab

There is a few miles of some very nice tight and techy singletrack out there.

And never a shortage of unique rock formations.

Explored a few new lines on the Klondike Bluff.

I'll take Winter like this any year. Maybe the best part about this great stretch of weather is it couldn't have come at a better time. We're just mere days away from February which means the worst is over.

bi-winning
    Nice pictures. I'm glad you're taking advantage of the fantastic riding opportunities that surround you.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Yappy little dog!
    Nice!

If it wasn't so messy going over the pass, I'd be there. Booked for April, though.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics. Love the "pet the mesa" pic. We have had great riding weather here in Virginia too, so far no real winter. I'm OK with that
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/CraigCreekRider
    Its Jake - From State Farm. What are you wearing?

Titanium junkie
    Great pic's, enjoy yourself.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ wtf ?^^^^

Great post Jwind. Jealous I am.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    I miss Moab!
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't believe you are supposed to touch petrogylphs or pictographs. Something about oil or grease from the hands eroding the paint or peckings. I could be mistaken, may have to Google it.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    I don't believe you are supposed to touch petrogylphs or pictographs. Something about oil or grease from the hands eroding the paint or peckings. I could be mistaken, may have to Google it.
    You're not, that's why you'll notice Keely is artfully cradling her hand ever so slighly as to not touch it. Unfortuntley, had she had given this buffalo a nice tummy scratch, it would be nothing compared to what other visitors have. Sadly, these are accompanied by initials, imitation drawings and other forms of vandalization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    You're not, that's why you'll notice Keely is artfully cradling her hand ever so slighly as to not touch it. Unfortuntley, had she had given this buffalo a nice tummy scratch, it would be nothing compared to what other visitors have. Sadly, these are accompanied by initials, imitation drawings and other forms of vandalization.
    You hit the nail on the head that it is a shame that over the years people have vandalized these sites with carvings and graffity (sp). I would imagine that most of the accessible petrogylph or pictograph sites in Colorado and Utah have some degree of vandalism. One person's thoughtless act affects every future viewer.

mtbr member
    green with envy

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    You hit the nail on the head that it is a shame that over the years people have vandalized these sites with carvings and graffity (sp). I would imagine that most of the accessible petrogylph or pictograph sites in Colorado and Utah have some degree of vandalism. One person's thoughtless act affects every future viewer.
    It really is sad. Some are worse then others. These are real easy to get to, but some of the more remote examples are in better shape.

Worse yet, we were on a tail yesterday out by Monitor/Merrimack where someone had removed actual dinosaur artifacts from the rock.

Is not amused
    Sweet pictures, looks like a nice winter out there.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    We're just mere days away from February which means the worst is over.
    Oh noooo. Tell me you didn't just say that. Now we're guaranteed to have a cold, nasty, snowy, late winter/early spring. And it will all be your fault.

Great post. I've been trying to get down to Moab this winter and take advantage of the mildness. Murphy says that as soon as I plan a day it will snow.... so I have to sneek up on it all ninja like.

mtbr member
    Great pictures!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Murphy says that as soon as I plan a day it will snow.... so I have to sneek up on it all ninja like.
    Oh no! Stay at home! hahaha. But seriously, give a shout if you head this way