mtbr member

Mid-week passion (playing hooky)...

As I researched the local forecast for the upcoming week (temperatures in the upper 70’s and not a drop of rain in site), I hinted to my wife that I may just have to play hooky from work to get some much needed riding in. Have fun was her response.

I planned on doing just that. I proceeded to clean up my Salsa El Mariachi which had gotten lonely this past summer due to my new found obsession, road riding (no moans & groans please…it still is biking after all). Now I was truly itching to get out there…which always happens anytime I do maintenance on my bike or spend any amount of time on the forums here.

Tuesday afternoon at work I informed my boss I was going to burn a PTO day tomorrow. She approved and also told me to enjoy whatever I had planned on doing.

On Wednesday morning, I fueled up with coffee and a few pieces of toast with peanut butter and headed off to Six Mile Run Reservoir to spend the next 2.5 hours on some sweet central New Jersey singletrack. Yes…there is actually sweet flowing singletack in central Jersey.

For the rest of the morning, I pedaled through field & woods with the sounds of nature all around me. From the crunch of the fallen leaves under my tires to the birds singing combined with the unique smell of the woods in the fall in Jersey made for a very enjoyable morning…much more enjoyable than sitting in my cubical at work.

I pedaled at my usual pace, which will never get me to the top of any Strava leader board, for 15.63 miles. Swooping through turns and over some really awesome bridges built by the ones who maintain the trail, I rode and in that time I only met 4 other bikers. I surprised myself in that I cleared every obstacle in my path including a large tree that came down in Super Storm Sandy last year.

I felt like I had a huge grin on my face the whole time out there and I’m sure my tongue was sticking out the side of mouth as I tend to do that quite often when riding…or at least my wife says so.

Back at the parking lot, I sat on the grass soaking up the noon time sun. Was it worth taking the day off for some mid-week trail action? What do you think?

On my way home, thoughts of burritos and beer (a great one from north of the border) filled my head. My typical post-ride reward put a nice cap on a great day.

Six Mile Run by KingBobYJr, on Flickr

Six Mile socks by KingBobYJr, on Flickr

La Fin Du Monde by KingBobYJr, on Flickr

powered by peanut butter.
    Bikes, beer, and burritos. Sounds like an excellent "mental health day."

cheers,
    h
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Serenity now!
    Yum! Fin Du Monde!

I can;t think of a better way to burn some PTO.
    Duchess of Dab

pin it
    What better way to spend the day?

Agree with your beer choice ... We're heading to Mont Ste Anne Quebec next week. Looking forward to the ridin' and relaxin'
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Vacation request at my work.. "Can I have tomorrow off?" "Yeah, no problem. Bicycle or dirt bike?". They know me well, plus the plant manager is an avid mtn and road cyclist.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Aloha, great passion post. Nice! I know people have been rumoring going out to national parks to ride because rangers aren't "working". So there might have been some "mid week" passion riding happening in parts........By the way, I don't necessarily condone poaching trails.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    I know people have been rumoring going out to national parks to ride because rangers aren't "working". So there might have been some "mid week" passion riding happening in parts........By the way, I don't necessarily condone poaching trails.....
    That's been happening a lot at the local national forest dirt bike use area since the shut down. We have some semi hidden single track trails from back when they ran an enduro there every year. The quads can't get to them to destroy them, but the rangers have declared them as "out of bounds". Now for a few days we can ride them without the concern of getting a ticket.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well done sir. There's nothing better than a little solitude to refocus yourself. Thanks for sharing.
    Still looking for mountains in Florida