Dec 2003

Mickey Mouse

From FATRAC:

"Some news for you: I received an email from a visitor to the Darrington
    Trail (aka Salmon Falls). He had never ridden there before and was in
    search of the Mickey Mouse Trail and Flagstaff Trail. Well he found them
    both along with the landowner of the private property that these trails
    cross. Yes, indeed these two trails are on private property. Chris Marney
    tells me that the State Park property stops at 200 feet above the lake level
    (high water mark I suspect).

The landowner has "closed" the Flagstaff and Mickey Mouse trails and asked
    the visiting mountain biker not to ride there. The landowner is concerned
    with liability issues and is planning on developing a portion of the
    property. Unfortunately, this isn't a surprise when you see how much
    development is occurring in that area. I will attempt to contact the
    landowner and see if we can work out a compromise deal. In the mean time,
    please be respectful of the landowner's wishes."

NOTE: Hopefully, we'll be able to establish a legitimate route on MM via a trail easement or other cooperative arrangement with the owner(s). Stay tuned for details.

Jed Peters
    MM was never "open" and legal, per se, to begin with.

And many have tried to keep it a secret, not referring to it by it's name (mickey mouse) but by pseudonym on internet message boards.

But so much for that theory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good one!

Mickey Mouse a secret? Now THAT is funny.

Sweat is just fat crying.

Butt...

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    MM was never "open" and legal, per se, to begin with.

And many have tried to keep it a secret, not referring to it by it's name (mickey mouse) but by pseudonym on internet message boards.

But so much for that theory.
    ...and that's a big butt, is this part, "(the landowner) is planning on developing a portion of the property..." That's always been in the backs of our mind, but to hear the owner mention that is fairly chilling. It could be closer than we think, and that, my friends, would be focked up.

It makes me sick. Just sick. If that's developed, how long until homes encroach on the Darrington Trail? In a few short years, it might turn out to be another American River Bike Trail. It's already being overrun by hiking yuppies who scowl when we come up behind and ask if we can ride by.

Dammit! I blame Bush.

Hey, my email got printed over at www.DrunkCyclist.com
    fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-26-2004 at 08:00 PM.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    and is planning on developing a portion of the
    property
    Awesome! We totally need a lot more houses out there.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...and that's a big butt, is this part, "(the landowner) is planning on developing a portion of the property..." That's always been in the backs of our mind, but to hear the owner mention that is fairly chilling. It could be closer than we think, and that, my friends, would be focked up.

It makes me sick. Just sick. If that's developed, how long until homes encroach on the Darrington Trail? In a few short years, it might turn out to be another American River Bike Trail. It's already being overrun by hiking yuppies who scowl when we come up behind and ask if we can ride by.

Dammit! I blame Bush.

Hey, my email got printed over at www.DrunkCyclist.com
    fp
    Although his developement plans are by no means new, they truly suck. (xpost on norcal). I don't think he will do anything immediately, but in time he will and developement wins again. I have not ridden this trail often, but it is a great, technical trail that would be a bummer to lose. This section give the whole area a purpose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...and that's a big butt, is this part, "(the landowner) is planning on developing a portion of the property..." That's always been in the backs of our mind, but to hear the owner mention that is fairly chilling.
    There is hope. Our local land trust (Nevada County Land Trust) has found success in partnering with private landowners in creating trail easements. It is a great solution because we get a legal trail and perhaps a good chuck of preserved open space and the private property owner wins because they can claim community support for a development that includes a public trail. I would love to see this on MM. It would sure beat just another private big mansion on a hill above Folsom Lake.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    There is hope. Our local land trust (Nevada County Land Trust) has found success in partnering with private landowners in creating trail easements. It is a great solution because we get a legal trail and perhaps a good chuck of preserved open space and the private property owner wins because they can claim community support for a development that includes a public trail. I would love to see this on MM. It would sure beat just another private big mansion on a hill above Folsom Lake.
    Unless he sells his land for the $$$'s, I don't picture him building anything close to a mansion. Not his type what so ever. He is much closer to redneck than yuppy. As you know, this is a fairly rugged area and it would certainly be beneficial to keep it that way. Time will tell. One thing for sure, this area was far superior before developement sucked it up. Fingers crossed for its survival.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Unless he sells his land for the $$$'s, I don't picture him building anything close to a mansion. Not his type what so ever. He is much closer to redneck than yuppy. As you know, this is a fairly rugged area and it would certainly be beneficial to keep it that way. Time will tell. One thing for sure, this area was far superior before developement sucked it up. Fingers crossed for its survival.

Yeah, notice what they've done to the "fairly rugged" areas across the canyon from the darrington falls trailhead. There's nothing that development and housing tracks can't conquer.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth