mtbr member

Mental Balance and Physical Balance when jumping ~ A passion to learn

It pays to turn right = Yesterday riding along the river I see a small right turn "foot path", I take it!
    Verrooom Zoom Down up around the trees are tall and like a big grove of them and then WHAT THE YYYYYYEEEEEEEEHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
    I found it! The holy grail of traing grounds!!
    Jumps, Double camel back jumps, burm corners, a big mound to ride up onto for pump speed!! A fallen tree with a dirt ramp up and over !! :-)
    YEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!! So sweet!

WOW I suck at this!! :-( IT would be way cool to learn how to fly around this track. Even if I have to crash several times.

When I jump, it's a crap shoot and most of the time I loose my balance as soon as I start up the ramp then off the top..bike goes Left I go Right WTF I had a staright line...
    Try over and over I get a few nice littl floats but it's still doesn't feel or look anything like a clean jump.

Pointers from the vetrens here, help a noob out :-)

I plan to go back several times a week now that I have found it..hidden in the trees out on the river trail!! SO sweet!!
    I'm going back today!!
    I know..Pics!! I will get picks of my new to me training ground and postum up.
    Thanks for your time
    Burt
    PS ~ My XCT fork has got to get replaced soon..I think it's weighing me down..
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Professional Crastinator
    I'm tuning in for jumping tips!

If your fork is too soft it might be skewing you. Try purposely loading it up as you compress into the face of the jump, it will track more steadily. Then release as you launch. Try not to yank the bars around too much.

That's all I know about jumping. Good luck!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Hmmm interesting...I read a similar comment abut loading up the fork by shifting wieght forward and shifting to the back without "jerking" the front...I think I'm a Jerk-er :-)

I do push my bike out in front of me when I go down a drop..sounds like if I practice that in reverse I may learn how to fly :-)
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Airborne Flight Crew
    Its not so much shifting your weight forward/back.

If you were standing in front of tall curb (no bike), and wanted to jump up on it - two feet at a time, like a hop - think about the mechanics of that action: You squat down a bit to load some power in you legs, you don't lean forward or back, but just down, then spring UP and forward just a bit.

This is almost exactly how you load your suspension when jumping. And you ride towards the transition, unweight and sort of stand on your toes - just before your bike is hitting the transition of the jump, "squat" down in to your bike - loading your suspension (you are not leaning forward, but "centered IN to the bike") As you are reaching the lip of the jump, you shold be unweighting/springing upwards and pulling upwards *slightly*on the bars (not backwards) holding them tightly at first - the suspension will help lift the bike upwards as you go past the lip of the jump and in to the air. (holding your bars tighter than normal actually helps keep your feet planted on the pedals)

This motion is more subtle than exaggerated too -at first anyhow. As you get used to it, it becomes a tool in your everyday riding, and you'll figure out how much you need to compress/unload for various obstacles/jumps.

You can practice this motion on flat ground too. At first when you spring up, both wheels will come up at the same time. As you get used to it, try to get your front wheel to leave the ground first. Concentrate on making the motion fluid and smooth. At first it WILL be sort of jerky as you train your body to follow the motion. Eventually it will smooth out.

Basically, I'm describing a bunnyhop, but it's a bit more sublte. This takes a little time and a LOT of practice. If you have a pump track close, it also helps a lot.

Sorry, sounds a lot more complicated that it probably is
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    AWESOME...I like your "thoughts to words" now I need to put your words to action :-)

I do "bunny hops" but never really gave it the time to perfect..just kinda jerk and lift up..NOW I have something to think about prior to my actions!!
    THANK YOU very much for your time. I have a terriable time putting my thoughts into words that folks can understand..

Can't wait to get off work to hit the trail!!

Anyone else have mental to physical advice?
    Time too FLY :-)
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    AWESOME...I like your "thoughts to words" now I need to put your words to action :-)

I do "bunny hops" but never really gave it the time to perfect..just kinda jerk and lift up..NOW I have something to think about prior to my actions!!
    THANK YOU very much for your time. I have a terriable time putting my thoughts into words that folks can understand..

Can't wait to get off work to hit the trail!!

Anyone else have mental to physical advice?
    Time too FLY :-)
    Its tough describing that - hope it helps!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Be sure to lend a hand wetting down the jumps and digging a little bit. Sounds like a few people have spent a lot of time building those jumps that you're enjoying. And the biggest thing about secret jump trails is to keep them secret so nobody goes back, gets hurt, and causes the city to go in and destroy the jumps.

Might want to start with a little more general thread and delete anything mentioning how you go to the jumps.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, hadn't thought about that..I don't think I have "told" anyone online were I am talking about. If it's a secrete spot or not I have no clue. Just new to me, I found it yesterday.
    It looks like it's been in-plance for quite some time. All the jumps and dirt are hard packed and the vegitaion is overgrown everywere on the edges of the obsticals. I'm out in the woods so no wetting down available unless I pee on it :-P No I won't do that LOL
    Thanks for posting your thoughts on that.
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    WHhhoooo ~ Yesterday I went out there again and was able to jump a small jump from up ramp side to down ramp side! I did it 3-4 times and one of the jump attmpts I got a bit squarlly in the air but I did not crash!!
    I am going back today for more "training"
    Oh and there were about 5 BMXers teenagers out there playing around...
    Good times!
    Now i just gotta grow some balls to try one of the big jumps :-) In time...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've struggled (still do) with tracking straight off jumps. Like you said, i often am coming down just a little bit sideways one direction or the other, not quite perfectly straight. I've found that the type of bike really makes a difference in how stable i feel. XC bikes with steep head tubes are harder for me to jump. More all mtn bikes with slacker geometry make me feel more stable and confident on the jumps. Also, putting your seat down low helps a lot.

A little pre-loading as described earlier in the thread is helpful also.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Thanks, Yah I know I need a better fork. THe XCT I have is deffentaly "clunky" and I feel it clank and move...On the list and working on upgrade but for now I just ride!!! :-)

What would you say is considered "steep Head Tube"?
    Acording to my spec sheet my 13hardrock sport frame has 71 listed for head tube angle and 110 for length.
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bah, i typed up a bunch of stuff about different types of bikes, but it doesn't matter and was just distracting from the point, so i deleted it. Just ride what you have and have a blast doing it! The Hardrock is a great bike.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    lol
    I hear yah!
    I have zero plans to ever replace my bike.
    Now some things will get upgraded as I stack up the miles!
    Fork First :-) or learning to Jump FIrst! LOL
    I am going out there after work again today.
    Yesterday I Endoed over the bars to my right side trying some technical stuff LOL
    I love crashing...well slow speed crashing with simple scratches and such LOL
    Saw the same group of boys out there jumpin and trying to spin around in the air prior to landing...wish I was young :-P
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    After racing motocross my whole life jumping came pretty naturally to me on the mountain bike. There was still a lot of adjustment I needed to make! Compared to my 220lbs dirtbike you can't get away with just yanking the mountain bike around off a jump. Jumping the mountain bike is a whole lot less forgiving.

I've found the most important key is try your best to stay relaxed and just go with it. Don't jerk the bike up trying to get big air (you don't need to get big air if your new), don't get tense or you'll never jump straight, keep your body centered and put the load through your feet and not on the handlebars. You do have to pull up on the handlebars a bit but don't go stiff. I know its tough to stay so calm when its new to you but that's really the biggest factor in whats separating you from the pros hitting huge jumps! Don't try to bunny hop it either. Doing a bunny hop takes a lot of strength pulling with your arms and pushing with your legs. You can make it work... but for now its best to let the jump do the work for you.

There is more of a feel and art to jumping than just that. That feel just needs to be figured out over time so take it small and take it slow working your way up. There are a lot of different shaped jumps that all have their own little personalities. Some jumps do require you to do a lot of work otherwise you'll be over the handlebars while other jumps just lob you off the top as smooth as could be with no effort.

mtbr member
    Killer brain waves bro! :-)

Yah, staying calm and just float :-)
    This place has some knarly almost stright up jumps too and some medum ones. Currently I have just the one small camel hump jump I am working on. Nice mellow floater. Next I need to scout out jump # 2 that I can start to work on.
    Some of thoes jumps almost look like a Hook...freakin lip launcher :-O
    Thanks alot for your time and comments.
    I pause and think about this thread when I am out on my training gound..it helps keep the calm so thanks MTBR'ers :-)
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    May 2011
    make sure you dig. Bring a shovel sometimes and make sure you don't undo someone else's hard work. Don't ride jumps when they're remotely wet. Find out if bmxers made the jumps, as they typically require more smoothness and in any kind of wet weather knobbies may be causing them a lot of frustration.

Ultimately, I think the best way to learn to jump is to build your own jumps. Start small and build them bigger as your skills catch up. MTB can jump anything a bmx bike can, so look to them for inspiration. Lips should be steep and curved, not just banks.

mtbr member
    Roger that! I allways treadlightly :-)
    this location has "new" stuff in the works I stay off that. Alot of the burms and jumps are packed hard and have been there for several seasons. The vegitation growth is all around everywere except on the tracks & jumps/burms and such.
    One of the boys recognized me (I remembered seeing him too) and saw me go over the bars slamming the ground..asked me if I was OK..of coarse I say "hell yah that was a blast, all in a days Work" LOL
    I'll get more info and understanding of this place as tiem goes by..it is "my" local trail me being local and all hehee
    Freaking mosquitos starting to buzz around if you stay in one spot too long so gonna need some spray if I plan to hang out and dig too.
    ANyway Happy Friday..gonna go eat some bacon now :-)
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer