mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Meeting new people on the trail!

Ran into couple older gents on the trail couple days ago (63 and 70) respectively and they gave me a run for my money lol! I'm 38 and they really kept up very good pace. We exchanged numbers and now i have some new weekly riding buddies Usually out on the trail by myself so it will be a nice change to share it with couple other guys with the same passion for the sport. Makes me look forward to the golden years

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm currently in a transition phase between motocross and mountain biking. I can see myself mountain biking into my 70's, but a 70 year old clearing an 80' triple on a dirt bike is a different story lol.

I've had several good conversations with people I've met on the trail. I haven't picked up any riding buddies though because I typically have to travel an hour or so to ride most trails and don't ride any single trail system regularly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ride alone 96% of the time. I have two riding partners that are nowhere near my level. One is a long time sponsored xc racer that blows me out of the water, and the other my GF, whom I blow out of the water. While I enjoy the company and security having another person with me brings (on hand EMT/first responder and crime deterrent) I find I enjoy the actual rides (the bike moving on terrain part)less. With my GF I am always stopping, doubling back, and sticking to the more groomed trails that aren't too much for her. With my XC buddy, the roles are reversed, I am always holding him up, and it pushes me to ride a bit faster/harder than I enjoy. Don't get me wrong, there is no animosity in either situation, and I enjoy riding with both of them. But I can't help but wonder what it would be like to go for a ride with someone who is at or around my level, and if I would then enjoy the part about the bike better when not alone.

On the lone rides I am quite content, just me and whatever I feel like riding and how I want to ride it.

mtbr member
    Loner here but after recently moving meeting people to ride has been very helpful, now I know where the trails are and if want company know who and how to contact.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been a loner for the last 13 years and it's been awesome! It's my therapy being out in the bush getting away from it all. I usually ride 3 days a week so be a first for me to ride one of the days with riding partner. LOL i'll post in here how it goes He rides at a good pace like me so i know i won't be holding anyone up. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    I've been a loner for the last 13 years and it's been awesome! It's my therapy being out in the bush getting away from it all.
    Agree 100%. I ride with friends as well, but love the solidarity of riding alone. I have noticed a great deal of friendly people on the trail, which is always a plus. Probably due to the fact the we Metro-Detroiters have been shivering the past 5 months and are so happy to see sunshine!
    RIDE GIANTS

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Ran into couple older gents on the trail couple days ago (63 and 70) respectively and they gave me a run for my money lol! I'm 38 and they really kept up very good pace. We exchanged numbers and now i have some new weekly riding buddies Usually out on the trail by myself so it will be a nice change to share it with couple other guys with the same passion for the sport. Makes me look forward to the golden years
    Bryan, I have found that the guys between 60 and 80 are some of the toughest out there if they are somewhat serious because they quite often have little else to do. They are mentally tough, they absolutely know what they are capable of, and if they have been cycling for very long, they are machines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not technically on the trail, but I met my husband in the trail parking area. I was just finishing a ride and he was waiting for his buddies to show up for a ride. The rest is history.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I always up for meeting new people, and enjoy it.. too bad I'm not the most sociable person to hang with. I wouldn't say that I'm rude or anything.. just; silent. Not many people enjoy my so called company :P

From some movie at some point in time, "Silence is golden."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Put me into the solo category as well for roughly 95% of my rides. At first it was a bit hard to get used to, and at times I was somewhat hesitant on the trails, but now I really enjoy the peace and quiet overall. These days I can fairly easily tell the riders who enjoy (or would enjoy) company on the trails from those who are pretty much MTB loners and basically have no interest in riding with anyone else. I'd guess 60% or so of riders in my area are of the loner variety.

Older riders often are badasses, no doubt. There are a few in particular I know that are in their 60's, but you would swear they were 20 years younger and are insanely fit, and can hang with pretty much anyone on the trails, while leaving any weekend warrior in their dust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wow that was a kick ass time on the trail! Dude was straight up MACHINE with a very nice Cannondale FS 29er...(drooling)! 19.3 Miles with just a few stops...One day a week won't tap into my ALONE time lol. Wife was teasing me that i finally found someone to ride with because all our friends lazy asses Have good cinco de mayo everyone

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    I always up for meeting new people, and enjoy it.. too bad I'm not the most sociable person to hang with. I wouldn't say that I'm rude or anything.. just; silent. Not many people enjoy my so called company :P

LOL don't feel bad...it takes me a while to let people in my TREE OF TRUST!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Bryan, I have found that the guys between 60 and 80 are some of the toughest out there if they are somewhat serious because they quite often have little else to do. They are mentally tough, they absolutely know what they are capable of, and if they have been cycling for very long, they are machines.
    This is so true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    ... too bad I'm not the most sociable person to hang with. I wouldn't say that I'm rude or anything.. just; silent. Not many people enjoy my so called company :P

This made me laugh because this is so me. A "conversation" between you and I would well be...golden.

The perfessor
    When I started riding in 1988, I had some friends and my bro to ride with, but these days, they're all off the trail now..........but because I am a socially friendly person who likes to meet other bikers, I've made new friends and regularly ride with one rider in particular (he kicks my @$$ every time).......... but I do still like riding alone, especially after working on my bike - I hate slowing anyone down when I'm tweaking my work......
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    Last month I did a community bike ride to take in the local flower blooms and, hopefully, meet new folks.
    While waiting for the ride to start I noticed a stereotypical "little old lady" standing beside a very muddy Spec FS mountain bike. My mind began to wander...did she rent it? Borrow it? Steal it? Is she holding it for someone while they register?
    While pondering these notions, a friend of hers came up and said "Hey, your bike is awful dirty." And she replied, "Well, it is a mountain bike, and I like mud."