Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it me?

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Is it me?

Man, I can't find anybody to ride with! Well, I can find people but they are either way too fast (just want to beat me), only like climbing/decending (and nothing in between), ride goofy loops, want to ride long and slow (boring) or short distances for a few miles (why even bother).

My last ride, I was riding with a good friend that usually crushes me and for some reason I was (finally) crushing him and he just bailed on me! I mean, who does that? And, my other buddies...Well, I just don't call them back aymore. I just don't like the way they ride. I like to ride my ride (or something close to it). I want to have fun. I'm not looking for a work out or to see how far I can go. I just want to feel the "Zen!"

I don't know...It must be me! I think I need some psychiatric help (or somethin')!

Does anybody else feel this way? Or, am I just a bad riding buddy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I guess if we want to ride with others we have to be willing to be a little flexible about, distance, speed, and location. If you ride alone you don't have to worry about any of that. I do both, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends, best of both worlds.

Hi There!
    This thread, which was a bit below yours, has tons of people biking alone...

Biking: alone or with friends?
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Your list of how you DON"T like to ride definitely narrows down your prospects.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, it's you. Some people (myself included) aren't really meant to ride with others, and are far better off riding alone. You're obviously picky about who you ride with, what type of riding you do, etc., so just accept it as such and continue to have fun riding alone. That way you'll never have to be bothered by someone else screwing up your ride. Besides, riding alone is fun---I'd guess that most of us here ride alone a majority of the time, perhaps due to some of the same issues you have.

Just as some people have no interest in settling down or would be utterly miserable in a marriage environment, some riders don't really do well riding with others or in groups. Embrace your independence.

b a n n e d
    I think it is you (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) . . . you've got plenty of people to ride with and it sounds like you know them pretty well. Figure out what kind of ride you want to go on that day and call the person that fits with your planned ride.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Yes, that's fonetic
    It's you

It's about showing up.
    Yes; it's you. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it does limit your options of people to ride with. It might help to have different goals for different rides. When you want what you want ride alone. When you ride with someone else, think of developing a riding bud.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yep. I also concur. It's you. But then again, it's me, too. Where I live, I find damned few guys who I would want to ride with on our local trails. I'm better off riding solo. I'll take my chances with the dreaded mountain lions.
    Hell, I've been taking my chances with the Big Kitty, for years now, and I still don't feel like a deer. I doubt if I smell like one, either.

Basically, I find tremendous solace in nature, and riding with others tends to diminish that feeling.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I ride alone alot . Mostly due to timing. When I ride with others I just ride their pace or style. If they're faster Im workin out. If they're slower I think of it as a recovery ride. The point is to go out and have fun. Not get all stemmed out about the details.
    So yes, it's you
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm riding a AM hardtail. I join every ride i can.
    Pushing my bike up the steepest and roughest trail toghether with DH people or pedaling around a gravel road. I do both, and anything in between.
    I even have a roadbike just to join some workmates on their trips.
    As long as i pedal and ride with nice people i have no problem doing whatever they want.

Ugly As F*ck
    To the OP: Please define "goofy loops". This sounds like something I might be interested in trying.

Just Ride
    Join your local trail building club. Your sure to find someone there to ride with who closely matches your riding style and preferences. The club by me has people who just smash me on any give trail. And people who I can just walk away from without breaking a sweat. And everyone in between. Your sure to find someone to ride with that way!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

AZ
    banned
    Deodorant, try some.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Your lucky I can't think of a single person that I'd want to be around more than 15 minutes on a bike
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
    Man, I can't find anybody to ride with! Well, I can find people but they are either way too fast (just want to beat me), only like climbing/decending (and nothing in between), ride goofy loops, want to ride long and slow (boring) or short distances for a few miles (why even bother).

My last ride, I was riding with a good friend that usually crushes me and for some reason I was (finally) crushing him and he just bailed on me! I mean, who does that? And, my other buddies...Well, I just don't call them back aymore. I just don't like the way they ride. I like to ride my ride (or something close to it). I want to have fun. I'm not looking for a work out or to see how far I can go. I just want to feel the "Zen!"

I don't know...It must be me! I think I need some psychiatric help (or somethin')!

Does anybody else feel this way? Or, am I just a bad riding buddy?
    It is you , you suck. Too fast , too slow what is it? I get the fun part, try being fun yourself, not a stick in the mud.

What could go wrong ...
    OP ride your own ride because nothing ruins a good ride like a race breaking out and the quality of a ride should not be determined by how quickly it is over
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    I can relate OP. I have had some great riding friends over the years. We liked the same trails, held the same pace and had some good times. But they always move away! Recently, I lost a partner to a new job in DE.

Sounds like work to find a new one. So far, I've been rockin' the summer solo
    The cake is a lie.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Deodorant, try some.
    This.. And/or Beano.

addicted to chunk
    You need to either get used to riding alone, or get a different mindset when you are riding with others. Be flexible with speed, goofy loops, distance, etc, just enjoy the ride & the company, & it'll be great...after all you are riding a bike in the woods. Hard to have a bad day doing that.

If you can't learn to enjoy it, then just ride alone & embrace that instead.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Deodorant, try some.
    LOL, We rode with a guy once, just once! When we arrived at the trailhead he proceeded to change into the riding clothes in his trunk that had not been washed in many rides. My wife and I made sure to keep ahead of him the entire ride.

I am happy to go out and ride alone or with others. Preferablty and usually my wife.

It is you and maybe you should relax on your strict criteria to see what they may have to offer you. I once rode with a guy at a trail I had always thought was crappy but he had pieced together a loop that was awesome. Learned something that day.

Also, riding with others better than you will generally improve your skills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ride alone because I like to ride fast. I just can't.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    . . . the quality of a ride should not be determined by how quickly it is over . . .
    I've been telling my wife that for years!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Tactical Nightmare
    It's too bad really. My main riding buddy is someone who I rode with years ago, and we went our seperate ways for a number of years, both taking a break from MTB for much of that time. He now lives back in town, and we both started riding again about 2 years ago. Our skill set is so close to each other, that it is a blast to ride together. We can ride close, follow lines or choose other lines, and we each take turns leading down trails to mix it up.

I do ride with others on occasion, as well as by myself if our schedules don't match. I have eliminated riding with one group though, as they are just all about climbing, and kick ass at it, where for me, I am all about the downs, and typically am riding their ass going down trails. They are cool guys, but I have just decided we ride differently, and riding with them just isn't my thing.

Like others suggested, it is you. That said, it is certain that there are others out there like you to ride with. You just have to find them. Trail building groups, Facebook riding groups and the like are your ticket to finding them. Good luck on your search. Oh, and as Dirty Dirty stated, use deodorant.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

JKA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I've been telling my wife that for years!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast