Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maybe dumb question, but, where to go for Moab?

883 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Bike Nazi 
#1 ·
Hello

I think this may be a silly question, but which airport should I go if I want to go riding in Moab, and after that, where should I stay?

Thanks

#3 ·
Depends on the kind of airport/service you like. Big one is Salt Lake City, smaller one is Grand Junction, CO; SLC is a 4 hour drive to Moab (3 maybe), whereas Grand Junction is 2 hours, maybe 1.5 (car rentals no doubt easier in SLC). If you've got a buddy with his own plane, there's a municipal field just north of Moab (no car rental without making arrangements with someone in Moab).

Bonus for Grand Junction is that it puts Fruita on the way to Moab. I'd stay in Moab, though, as there's more choice for lodging as well as food/drink, altho I do like camping in the Colorado National Monument above Fruita when I'm there. Specific choices depend on your budget and tastes, try www.moab-utah.com for some general ideas

While in Moab I'd be sure to try the Porcupine Rim ride, and if you've never done slickrock go ahead and try the Slickrock Trail (but there's plenty of riding on slickrock other than that). If you've got one ride to put in in Fruita, it's a choice between Mary's/Rustlers/Horsethief and the stuff out on Road 18 (check www.otesports.com).

#5 ·
If you want to do the sweetest road trip ever...

Fly into Vegas. Ride that day in Blue Diamond. Stay in the city and party/eat/dance/imbibe. Ride the next day in Boulder city, DH, Dirt Jump, or Epic CC, take your pick. Stay that night in BC. Drive next day (early) to St. George. Ride either the Virgin River trail or Gooseberry Mesa/Little Creek. Camp that night on the Mesa overlooking Zion NP. Drive north through the interior of Utah, ride in the San Rafael Swell that day, and make it to Moab. Ride two days in Moab, one day Porcupine rim (from town, with a bit o' slickrock trail thrown in, 35 or so Miles, 5 hrs). Next day do Amasaback, but bribe a local mechanic for the real singletrack skinny up on the Mesa. That night, go ahead and drive on to Fruita. Hook up with Screampint/Troy, and ride bookcliffs AND Mary's/Lion loop, if now pressed for time. Start driving back to Vegas, but go by way of Flagstaff, and then Sedona. Should take you two weeks to do right, and you may lose your job, but it won't matter, and you won't regret it one bit. Life is short, may your travels be long. Have fun!

#6 ·
When I went to Moab, I flew to Salt Lake City, then took another flight over to Grand Junction, which may seem a little silly but it cut the drive time in half (from 4 hours to less than 2) and since I was driving out to Moab alone, that worked better for me. Grand Junction is a VERY small airport, but it was extremely efficient, IMO.
Just a hint - take a set of clean clothes for the trip home, and keep them in a sealed bag while you are in Moab. Otherwise you'll be wearing dusty clothes home (whether they were clean or not to begin with). Although I camped so maybe that was why I had dust all over every single thing :eek:

#8 ·
One minor detail...

It's an 8 hour drive from Vegas to Moab, and a 3.5 hour drive from SLC to Moab. That may factor into your decision.

rzozaya1969 said:
Thank you very much for the info.. I think I'll take Las Vegas, since I'm flying from Mexico (SLC is more expensive than LAS).

I'm going to plan around 9 to 11 days, not sure yet. Which is the best time in the year for the trip?

#9 ·
Best time IMHO is starting about now 'til mid-June, and then again September through October. You can certainly drive/ride in the dead of summer, but it's not pleasant. Only place comfy enough in S. Utah to hit in July and August is Brian Head. YMMV. Personally, I hate heat stroke. :D

#11 ·
But...

mtnbiker62 said:
It's an 8 hour drive from Vegas to Moab, and a 3.5 hour drive from SLC to Moab. That may factor into your decision.
It is only three hours to St. George/Goosberry mesa, so he could be riding right away, on the way...

#13 ·
other folks in the know, please chime in...

In ten days, starting in Vegas and returning there, we could create an' ABSOLUTELY NUTS, best riding on the planet in stunning locations' Itinerary for this fellow, and anyone else. I travel all over the planet to ride, (lately in peru), but I scratched my head hard in order to come up with anywhere that could compete with the singletrack stupendousness that I have proposed. Think about it.
Blue Diamond
Bootleg Canyon
St. George
Goosebury Mesa
(or cedar city/Brian Head!)
Zion NP
San Rafael Swell
Moab
Fruita:boockliffs, mary's
Page arizona (sweet 'urban' singletrack/slickrock!!!)
Flagstaff
Sedona....
Many different types of trails, climates, towns and cities, even varied food and culture.
IMO, this is an epic loop, do it!!

#14 ·
Yep, St George Utah

rideit said:
Fly into Vegas. Ride that day in Blue Diamond. Stay in the city and party/eat/dance/imbibe. Ride the next day in Boulder city, DH, Dirt Jump, or Epic CC, take your pick. Stay that night in BC. Drive next day (early) to St. George. Ride either the Virgin River trail or Gooseberry Mesa/Little Creek. Camp that night on the Mesa overlooking Zion NP. Drive north through the interior of Utah, ride in the San Rafael Swell that day, and make it to Moab. Ride two days in Moab, one day Porcupine rim (from town, with a bit o' slickrock trail thrown in, 35 or so Miles, 5 hrs). Next day do Amasaback, but bribe a local mechanic for the real singletrack skinny up on the Mesa. That night, go ahead and drive on to Fruita. Hook up with Screampint/Troy, and ride bookcliffs AND Mary's/Lion loop, if now pressed for time. Start driving back to Vegas, but go by way of Flagstaff, and then Sedona. Should take you two weeks to do right, and you may lose your job, but it won't matter, and you won't regret it one bit. Life is short, may your travels be long. Have fun!
is a good stop, some say every bit as good as Moab but different and no crowds.
Road Gooseberry Mesa last century, it was a riot following those crazy green and yellow dots. Then headed to Moab and road the slick rock, then the slick rock and some more slick rock, I know I should have expanded my horizons in Moab. Next time
but for my next road trip/take the woman to stinky Vegas, I got my sights on Red Rock Canyon just outside of Vegas and maybe back to St George and sneak in Gooseberry Mesa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.