Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Medium?

May by the Bay - Henry Coe Camping

Friday & Saturday nights, May 20-22

Official Website

I need to get a bit serious about a headcount. Who's coming? I need to secure the campsite and start planning for food. The site itself will cost about $1 each for the two nights. Bargain, or what?

If you're not riding Santa Theresa Park with us on Friday May 20th at 4pm, you'll still need to be up at the park HQ by 6pm if you want me to haul your stuff down to the campsite. I'll update if it can be later.

It's 2.5 miles into the park, mostly downhill going in. The truck will bring your stuff out on Sunday; early afternoon.

If you want to arrive late you can:
    1. Bring a backpack and just ride in.
    2. Get your stuff to me earlier; Thursday or Friday by 3pm in San Jose
    3. I have an old baby trailer that I could leave somewhere at HQ for your use. It won't work if you have disk brakes though.

I can provide a tent if that will help.

grasso e lento

New question here. Protocal for day visits?

What is the current protocal for day visits to the camps? I am not sure what days I can make it to as of right now but a few us are talking about dropping in so what is the process for this type of behavior

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

the bomb

me, me

I'm in. Will likely be at ST friday too.
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Medium?

Day visits

Saturday at Coe I'll see if anyone who knows their way around is coming in for a day visit, and I'll recruit them to lead you down to the campsite where we'll start the ride for the day.

If not, it's not that hard to find and I'll provide a map. Keep an eye on the official thread linked to the right side of the Passion Board.

We'll be meeting at the campsite at 9:30 Saturday. If you want to be difficult^H^H^H^H^Herent and ride in from the south entrance, you could meet at the junction of Coit Rd and Mahoney Meadows Rd around 10:30 or 11.

On Sunday we'll start uphill from the campsite, and meet on Manzanita Pt Rd at the Flat Frog Trailhead. That's even easier to find. It's about a mile into the park from the HQ. Same time: 9:30.

Nerdy as it is, I'll also post an FRS frequency if you have a radio.

In any case, keep an eye on the official thread, linked to the right side of the Passion board. There'll be new info there right up until next Friday afternoon.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-11-2005 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member

I plan on riding Saturday...

Maybe stay the night and ride Sunday too. Not sure yet. If I do I'll carry my own stuff in.

Medium?

Very cool

It'll be good to see you.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I wanna do the Sunday ride at Coe. Would it be better for me to drive over Sat. night, or show up early Sun a.m.?

Can you pinpoint where I can meet you guys, please?

And would it make sense to stay somewhere Sunday nite (pitching a tent is cool) so I don't have to drive home after riding for and hour and a half?

Thanks!

elf pee
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

pewpewpew Moderator
    Oh shoot me.

I forgot I'm goign to be in new mexico that weekend.

Argh! Count me out

Slowest Rider

Friday / Saturday for me

I'm in for doing Friday at Santa Teresa (if it's dry)

I'm also in for Saturday at Henry Coe, but may take your suggestion of riding from Hunting Hollow and meeting you at Coit and Mohoney Meadow Rd intersection, just to be difficult. Then I can do a lot of the fun singletrack within sight (or earshot) of the group.

Another advantage if I go from Hunting Hollow. For those who want to do the south end of the park but are worried about getting too tired (you should at Coe), I could car shuttle any dragging riders (or injured, broken bikes, etc..) back from Hunting Hollow back to Manzanita via HQ entrance. With the car shuttle, it's downhill out to HH, downhill from HQ to Manzanita Camp. Downhill on both sides of the shuttle! FastEddy may know this off the top of his head better, but it's a long hard ride up from Coit to Mahoney, ~1500' climb, and from China Hole to Manzanita, another 700' or more, plus maybe 7-10 miles more - tough after the preceeding distance and climbs. For Henry Coe's steep hills, take what you normally do and multiply by 1.5 for time and effort.

The nerd I am, of course I have a GMRS/FRS radio. Sorry Ed I didn't have on your frequency at Mississippi Lake before, as Plim and I were doing a different channel further out. I'll turn it to your frequency immediately this time. Also, would you like to borrow a higher power GMRS radio for the week?
    Last edited by BigLarry; 05-11-2005 at 11:14 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

the bomb

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Oh shoot me.

I forgot I'm goign to be in new mexico that weekend.

Argh! Count me out
    I probably won't see you before I move then If you're ever near Austin, let me know!

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I wanna do the Sunday ride at Coe. Would it be better for me to drive over Sat. night, or show up early Sun a.m.? Can you pinpoint where I can meet you guys, please?
    Either would be cool. I'll bring you a tent, you pack a pack and sleeping bag and ride in. If you've got a light it would be fun for you and us to get there late Sat and ride in. The campsite I want (it's first come first served, I plan on going up early Friday am and staking out a spot) is exactly at the east end of Manzanita Pt Rd (purple, left, make sure IE's showing the full-size) on this map, right where Rabbit Spr Tr starts. At the Poverty Flat fork, taking a left would be disasterous. The campground is 300-400' down, Poverty Flat is 1500' down.

http://www.wlevey.com/coepark/maps/L...oCmpBrMtHq.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    And would it make sense to stay somewhere Sunday nite (pitching a tent is cool) so I don't have to drive home after riding for and hour and a half?
    Assuming there's food left over, you could just sleep at the campsite again on Sunday night. I suppose I could be talked into staying over too. It's awful pretty and quiet up there on a Sunday night. We'd need some extra hooch.

There's also car-camping campsites right at the HQ. They'll be nearly deserted too.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-11-2005 at 11:22 PM.

Medium?
    We're going to do Domino Pond/Grapevine/Anza and come up Jackson Trail. If you start from HH, you'll have to climb the same hill twice or ride a pretty short ride. I suppose you could ride down Grizzly the 2nd time. That wouldn't be too bad. Not much time with the group either. Pfunk rides your pace. You should join the group for the whole thing. You can lead, or ride clean-up for the 'B' group.

The 'A' group will add a down-and-back on the south side of Anza, past Jackson, and/or a loop out to Coit Lake and back on Cross Canyon, and possibly a down-and-back on Lost Springs trail on the way out.

All the big climbs on the ride from the camp will be on singletrack; all. The 'B' group could be as little as 3500' total climbing. I don't think it's much less if you start at HH. Down-up-down-up instead of up-down-up-down, see what I mean?

MTBR WIZARD
    I am going with my bro, but I am not sure if were are camping.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_mmurillo
    I am going with my bro, but I am not sure if were are camping.
    Keep an eye on the threads if you're camping. If you go with the group it will be easier. If you ride in on Sat you'll have to pack your own gear.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    We're going to do Domino Pond/Grapevine/Anza and come up Jackson Trail. If you start from HH, you'll have to climb the same hill twice or ride a pretty short ride. I suppose you could ride down Grizzly the 2nd time. That wouldn't be too bad. Not much time with the group either. Pfunk rides your pace. You should join the group for the whole thing. You can lead, or ride clean-up for the 'B' group.

The 'A' group will add a down-and-back on the south side of Anza, past Jackson, and/or a loop out to Coit Lake and back on Cross Canyon, and possibly a down-and-back on Lost Springs trail on the way out.

All the big climbs on the ride from the camp will be on singletrack; all. The 'B' group could be as little as 3500' total climbing. I don't think it's much less if you start at HH. Down-up-down-up instead of up-down-up-down, see what I mean?
    Good points. I wasn't sure how far the group B was going, if they were going the whole way south to the Jackson Trail singletrack which would be most fun for the group. A 3500' climb is about what I like for a weekend run. Normally that much climb takes me 4 hours elsewhere (like Sierra Azul). At Coe it could run me to 6-7 hours (or more). Climbing up at the end is always a drag, and now that I look on my map, that last killer climb out of China Hole back to camp is 1200'. Then there's another 400' climb out to HQ, but I could have cocktail hour at the camp first.

I think from HQ, its down-up-down-up-down-up. (HQ-China Hole-Coit Rd-Anza/Jackson-Coit-China Hole-HQ) You missed one climb. From HH, I'd come up Coit and it's up-down-up-down (HH-Mohoney Meadows/Coit-Domino/Anza-Coit-Grizzly-HH) which is a lot of fun too, especially since Grizzly Gulch is one I've never done. The double climb is about 3000', slightly less, and ends on the down.

Me lead? What a laugh. But I could help navigate and clean up on the B ride. Nornally, I'd consider myself too much of a drag even for a B group. But with having Pfunk along I wouldn't feel too bad as I won't slow her down too much. And I'd be able to hang out more with the crew at the camp and do the official ride sort of with the group. So you're beginning to convince me.

Either way will be good, but I'm now tending to go with the B group from the camp.

As for the A group, adding the south up-down loop of Anza only adds maybe 500'. Coit lake is a much bigger story, maybe 1500' more taking the valley (by Kelly Lake) twice.

MTBr ReMember

I'm in for Friday...

...The current plan is to leave Middletown Friday at 7:30 am, so I may be in the South Bay by 11:ish.

FP, You are welcome to join Lucky and I etc at Samual P. Sunday nite and ride Tamarancho/Repack on Monday...I know there is driving involved but we may get some riding in as well...Just tuck in behind the Glomar and draft the whole way to Marin!

You could even get an Ale-Hydration Pak ride on the Paper Mill rail trail Sunday evening...

Tim

Medium?

Part of our plan is in jeopardy...

We need 10 people if we want to drive the truck to the campsite. So far I count only 5 including me. I was going to send the reservation today (which we likely don't need a reservation anyway), but I'm going to hold off and see if we can get some more confirmed campers.

The cost is more than I remember too: $30/night for the site.

We could swing it with a bike trailer, but we couldn't bring the big cooler full of, um, food.

Worst case, we'll have to camp at the HQ camp.

Stay tuned.

Confirmed campers:

Fast Eddy
    Lucky
    pfunk
    Big Larry
    Uncle MTB

the bomb

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! bump!

We need 10 people if we want to drive the truck to the campsite. So far I count only 5 including me. I was going to send the reservation today (which we likely don't need a reservation anyway), but I'm going to hold off and see if we can get some more confirmed campers.

We could swing it with a bike trailer, but we couldn't bring the big cooler full of, um, food.

Stay tuned.

Confirmed campers:

Fast Eddy
    Lucky
    pfunk
    Big Larry
    Uncle MTB
    Come on people, sign up! Wasn't Moshika considering, and what about finch? Couldn't we just count ourselves twice

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by pfunk
    Come on people, sign up! Wasn't Moshika considering, and what about finch? Couldn't we just count ourselves twice
    I'm big enough for two riders - so that should count twice.

I'm gonna post links in NorCal to this and our wonderful December ride. Hopefully that'll get some juices going.

Medium?
    They're going to count bodies before they open the gate for the truck. I'm not going to lie to them and get in trouble later. It's too much of my back yard to get on their bad side.

Quote Originally Posted by pfunk

Aussie Bob

Saturday Ride

I'll be coming up for Saturdays ride only as I have the ADAs Tour de Cure In Menlow Park on Sunday but the next weekend I can do the lot , so see you guys at the camp site

mtbr member

Stay tuned.

Confirmed campers:

Fast Eddy
    Lucky
    pfunk
    Big Larry
    Uncle MTB
    Accidently posted on the Norcal post. But I'm in for Friday night camping. What time are you planning to drive the truck down? I was just planning to borrow a BOB trailer and ride down to the campsite when I got there since I need to come out on Saturday night anyways.

-Derek

Medium?

Woohoo!

That's six. I talked to a park volunteer that I know, and he's going to put in the good word for us. I think it will work out.

mtbr member
    That's six. I talked to a park volunteer that I know, and he's going to put in the good word for us. I think it will work out.
    To add to the good karma let him know that some of our group has done trailwork out there too.

What time are you planning to head in with the truck? I assume 6 or 7 since you are riding at Santa Theresa.

-Derek

Medium?
    As late as they'll let me. I may have to collect gear at the ST trailhead and skip the ride to get into Coe. I'll know more Monday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast