Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    an orig. MTBR "Old Phart"

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!

A good bud just sold me his 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 hardtail which is in near-cherry condition. Components all work great. His wife rode this bike for about a year, and it's been sitting in their garage ever since.

I rode with my 2 buds at Aliso Woods this last Sunday morning, and the M2's riding characteristics/qualities all came back to me during the ride -- this is my 2nd M2, I stupidly sold my other about 10 years ago.

Man, what a STIFF frame! "Stiff" to a 40 year old phart now feels even more jarring to a 50 year old phart! BUT, jeezers, what pedaling and climbing efficiency! And, the bike still has that great balanced ride ... no front wheel/tire washing out when pushing speed into corners, no front wheel lifts on climbs, in fact I was pedaling out of saddle and was still getting incredible traction up some very steep ascents.

Anyway, this bike has me all excited about riding again. The last time I was this excited was when my same bud sold me his 1997 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber with full-on XTR, upgraded Marzocchi Z1 X-Fly 100mm fork, and John Tomac/Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Remember these? :-)

Just wanted to share my excitement over my "new" bike. It brings back some fond memories, and I sure do love climbing on it!

Last edited by Schwinng; 10-14-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    carpe diem while you can ...

Lone Wolf McQuade
    It would be cool to see the old bike and the new bike...
    I should be out riding....

The Mountain Bike Life
    I used to own one of the old M2 Teams (same one that Ned won the worlds on)....it was red, fast and sexy....but if you scratch it...the paint flakes off. Post up some pics!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Herb--glad to hear ur getting hooked on riding again. I took my first night ride myself last night in over 4 years--I'm surprised the batts were still good. Anyway I've been laying off the roadie and have become better acquainted with my Stumpjumper this summer/fall.

Stay ridin'

Only a 46 year young phart here.

Pete, we gotta start a Stumpjumpers Club! *LOL* And, glad you're getting reacquainted with your Stumpy. I subscribe to Bicycling, and man do they have some gorgeous, sleek road bikes these days! Wow! But, nothing like dirt for me! :-)

BTW, were you and your family affected at all by all the weather problems that TX experienced in the last few months?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Ike was a dud here in central Texas--here in Killeen we received a whopping .02 in of rain and some 30 MPH winds that lasted several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwinng
    Pete, we gotta start a Stumpjumpers Club! *LOL* And, glad you're getting reacquainted with your Stumpy. I subscribe to Bicycling, and man do they have some gorgeous, sleek road bikes these days! Wow! But, nothing like dirt for me! :-)

BTW, were you and your family affected at all by all the weather problems that TX experienced in the last few months?

Drunken fool
    I'm still riding my S-works M2, it's now more of a commuter all around bike now though. I bought that new in 96 as my first "high" end bike and have put many miles on it. I still love that frame I don't think I could ever sell that bike.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    I still use mine all the time. I don't think I will ever get rid of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hardbooter
    Awesome to have fun on an old bike. My mom's Trek Mountain Track 800 still gets attention..from me.

Cross chained.

Look at the tensioner on your der.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I used to admire those bikes. Very clean, very nice design. If I ever come across one, I'll jump at the chance to buy it...

Alien Surf Team
    Nice. If only 11 years is vintage I must be getting old.

mtbr member

I still ride/race my '97 S-Works M2

I've ridden 7 Leadville 100s, 5 Cascade Creampuffs, and a bunch of other endurance races on it. Lots of good memories and one bad (I rolled my car with it in it).

I just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon Carbon, though, so no more racing on the S Works. The carbon frame with a modern fork has a much smoother ride. The S-Works will be my backup bike, I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member

hey sybil...

...does this mean you're gonna change your screen name back to 'M2'?

love and kisses,

your Seoul brutha

Quote Originally Posted by parkmeister
    ...does this mean you're gonna change your screen name back to 'M2'?

love and kisses,

your Seoul brutha
    PARKMEISTER!!! *LOL* You're one of the few people still around here who even remembers me by that handle!!! Actually, I thought about it!!! Ha!!!

Don't own a Schwinn any longer ... just a '97 DBR V-Link Pro carbon fiber, this '97 M2, and a '08 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29'er.

Let me know whenever you come down to L.A. and you want to ride Brown Mtn or the Santa Monicas.

Later, kimchee breath!

Herb

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good to see some more of these around. My racing bike is a stumpy pro from 97. Everything is upgraded on it except the derailleurs. It's still one of the lightest frames and it was made in the US

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just got a 98 M2 special edition off ebay and love it, spec for the $350 I paid with XTR.

Is my rear tire flat?

Way cool...

I am building up a 15 inch Specialized Rockhopper made of Nitanium. Keeping the old frame and swapping most over to newer, not period specific, components.This is a backup up hardtail for the wife just in case the main ride is injured.

!Awesome bike and thanks for posting!

db
    Back riding again in Sunny SoCal. Outskirts of Palm Springs.

Post pics of that bad boy!!! :-)

Alien Surf Team
    Too bad nitanium is 99.9% marking BS and 0.1% real. Similar to A1, M2, M4 actually being different.

mtbr member
    Hey Schwinng - I've got the very same Stumpy Comp 2 - same cool blue and everything. I still ride that bike. It's been great to me as well. I've fianlly been looking at new bikes lately and having a real hard time choosing....none of them seem that great compared to my old Stumpy.

I'm trying to move to a FS due to a bad back but man, that stiff HT has spoiled me. Thanks for posting. Seeing your/my/our bike made my day.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I always wanted a stumpy.

Who didn't, I guess. My rockhopper of a bit later vintage was pretty good too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My Rockhopper gave me 8 great years Mtn. Bike service. Since I got it (used at that) I have replaced every part on the bike except for the stem and seatpost. It's still going strong as my commuter/tourer.

V-Shaped Rut
    I had a rockhopper for 5 years that I did everything on. Commute to work, MTB all over the tahoe rim trail, I even did a tri on it! (WTF was I thinking?) I sold it to a friend who sold it to a friend. Far as I know, its still on the tahoe trails, thats what I like to think at least.

Best thing about it, it was like $500 brand new and the only thing I ever replaced was the headset and tubes/tires. It's rockin' a chris king.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good thread,i love the older bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I tried to resurrect my 95 stumpy.
    the stock mag 21 is blown out so I picked up an 80 mm marzocchi mx pro lo bomber. alas the fork seems to screw up the geometry. Bike isn't really ridable. Probably will strip off the worn bits and ebay the frame this winter.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast