Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    Why don't you donate it to community bike program, pass it along to a nephew or friend that could use a decent bike to get started in MTB. I doubt you can bring enough money to offset the PITA that listing it on craigslist will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee View Post
    My wife says I need to clear out some bikes, and I'm afraid that my 97 M2 may the one. It's in great shape and honestly didn't get much abuse. Anyone know how much I should ask for this classic bike?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I worked at Specialized in design, mfg and distribution during the M2 period and beyond. It was loads of fun. The frames were made and assembled in the USA and the reception by the biking public was great. It seemed we doubled manufacturing every year for a couple of years and it was very "challenging" to keep up with the demand. The company was going through tough times and this was one of the programs that brought them back to profitabillity and now, stardom. Good to see so many folks remember the bikes. I still have a black, M2 hardtail Stumpy in the herd and it's fun to ride her.
    If it doesn't include a hike a bike, it isn't a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creaturefear View Post
    this is my '93 (?) stumpy with full lx. haven't been riding it as consistently as i would want because i ride solo =/
    but its an awesome ride nonetheless! planning on switching the fork and going threadless. any recommendations?
    and also seatpost, saddle and shifters.
    im fairly new to the mtb game, but im already very passionate and eager to learn!
    wow blast from the past! I had this same bike and color, pretty rode back and forth to work. Had a mag 21 on it and lx/xt parts. Couple years after I got it being a diabetic I got eye problems and was afraid I wouldnt be able to ride again since I could not drive a car so watched it sit in my garage being picked apart like a chicken bone very sad! Now many years later a friend has talked me into getting a bike again, has been around 16 years or so since I have been on a bike.
    On CL I came across a seller with a 06 stumpjumper fs, mag 21 xt parts, says pretty much been garaged no damage and year ago maintenced so can anyone tell me can these older bikes still get replacement parts? later on can disks be added? If I go look at this bike what are good things to check out or ask?
    Thanks for any help here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I assume it is a 1996 (not 2006) model and it looks to be in excellent shape. You will not be able to add disc brakes in any sensible way since it doesn't have any disc brake mounting points on either fork or frame. The good news is parts are available and relatively inexpensive. Congrats to you on getting back on a bike after so many years!

mtbr member
    oops sorry yea 96 lol. Well being house bound so long ive gotten a bit heavy and just need to get out and excercise so this might good I am howwever a bit scared since my eyesight wont ever improve( I have no perifial sp? vision) so to start will stick with safe areas to ride to get used to it all over again then try simple dirt roads or something but least I got a buddy who will go with me just in case
    To bad on the disks I really liked that on the bikes now, I was leaning towards a cannondale trail 6 for like $530 but saw this and now debating, the money savings is hard to pass up since I need a helmet and misc. other stuff.

Thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I mountain bike with a diabetic who is basically blind in her left eye and limited in her right (similar to you with little peripheral vision) so she has honed other senses and keeps the speed down when needed to help keep the rubber side down. I have learned to always let her know when I am coming up on the left side. Best wishes to you and I hope to read about your revitalized interest continuing.

mtbr member
    Now that is incouraging to hear! Thank you for sharing that makes me feel a little better. Be sure to let you know how things go once I get a bike

mtbr member
    Wanted to thank you for your help but over the labor day weekend I decided to go with a new bike with all the sales. I ended up with a 2013 Trek wahoo gary fisher 29er really like it!
    Still miss the old stumpjumper tho

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congrats to you Savage03. Time to go forth and ride that bike!

The Brutally Handsome
    So, just because I'm feeling a bit frustrated, I have to ask why on earth did Specialized use a 1" steerer on it's 1994 S-Works M2 frame? Wasn't 1 1/8" the standard for higher end by that point or am I off? And don't even get me started on the 73mm bb, I'm hating this build!

mtbr member
    1" was still the standard at that point and 73 mm BB's are still being done on bikes today! The only other option in '94 was 1 1/4" from Manitou and Yeti.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For those of you wanting to see pics of old and new together. 1998 Stumpy Comp and 2010 Stumpy Carbon Expert 29er.

2010 is 17.5" frame and 98 is 17" frame. 17.5" was the smallest offered in that model in 2010. It has slightly taller stand over, but nothing unworkable for my height and inseam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

1998 Stumpjumper M2 Comp

Picked this up on Craigslist about a month ago. The original fork was shot - replaced it with a Manitou Axel. New tires. Cleaned it / Lubed it. Just 1 trail ride so far, Love it.

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-img_0092.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It's good to hear how much the M2 is still appreciated. I have one of these flat gray color in excellent condition and want to start using it for commuting to work but I need some full fenders which have in the past been impossible to find because of the brakes and shock. Does anyone know where I can find full fenders? Thanks for any help, its been a few years since I last searched so there may be something out there now. If I can't find fenders I will have to sell the bike or trade it in.

mtbr member
    I regret selling mine

Not my bike or picture but I had one exactly like it. Sold it because I stopped riding, got fat and it took me years to get back on a bike. Wish I had never stopped

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    I regret selling mine

Not my bike or picture but I had one exactly like it. Sold it because I stopped riding, got fat and it took me years to get back on a bike. Wish I had never stopped

Its a nice looking bike, with all the pictures of M2's I thought I should share mine too, not a good picture but quick one, I really need some fenders for it or it has to go, I don't have room for three bikes, has anyone else found fenders that will work? I know I get caught in the rain and its no fun, I can wear a raincoat and cover my shoes but fenders help alot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-bike-picture.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post
    For those of you wanting to see pics of old and new together. 1998 Stumpy Comp and 2010 Stumpy Carbon Expert 29er.

2010 is 17.5" frame and 98 is 17" frame. 17.5" was the smallest offered in that model in 2010. It has slightly taller stand over, but nothing unworkable for my height and inseam.

I would be curious to see the results of a time trial between these two on an XC loop.

The differences are really striking. Even beyond the obvious wheel size difference. Look at the bar width, stem length, and difference between bar and saddle height between those two bikes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had one like that....it was tough on the cornering on the switchbacks. I think the wheelbase was just too long for me. But it was better than the GT with the rest of the riding. The GT however was much better on cornering.

mtbr member
    have you looked at the Topeak fenders that mount to the seatpost and the inside of the fork tube? Might work for you...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5