Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    after santa brought my youngest his first mountain bike I dug my wifes 2000 M2 out of the back of the shed. a quick wash and air in the tires this stumpy is great. been riding my 2001 M4 with the kids never seen anything wrong with either stumpy.

mtbr member
    I thought this was the best color, imo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-img_0058.jpg  

mtbr member
    ThreeD I had a frame just like that, sold it on ebay though.

mtbr member
    This one is gone too. I made the jump to 29ers and never looked back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How much travel do your forks usually have?

mtbr member
    My son's M2 came with the Specialized version of a Mag 21, at 63mm travel (?) but was switched to and raced with a Mach 5 at 70mm travel. Finally, in 2011 the Mach 5 was upgraded to an R7 with 80mm travel. Compared to the original design this obviously longer and has lifted the front end a little. However, the bike's original owner reports the ride is excellent, if a little less twitchy, and therefore perfect for the 11-year old that's just come up from 24" wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Nice stumpjumper

That is a nice bike man, i have an old 1994 that i just love to ride, i keep it 100 percent original.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-1994-stumpjumper-m2-fs007.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-1994-stumpjumper-m2-fs009.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-1994-stumpjumper-m2-fs006.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-1994-stumpjumper-m2-fs012.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-1994-stumpjumper-m2-fs004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1997 Stumpjumper still going strong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-img_3683.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Aw I love classic MTBs. It's how I found this forum. I am looking at either restoring or creating a SS out of a 1992 Rocky Mountain Experience or a 1993 Kona Cinder Cone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Here is mine when I got it:

Then, after spending a summer: buying, fixing, and re-selling similar bikes. I took a bunch of better parts from the other bikes and swapped them onto this one. I now have this, its my commuter/road training bike. Tough and reliable.

Its actually even better now than in that pic. I have a better road saddle and semi road slick tires

I want to get a set of mustache bars for it

Just realized I actually have a hardrock... oh well, close enough
    2009 Giant XTC Team Frame w/ Stump Jumper FSR XC Comp Components
    XC Eric

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great stories and pics! I am still riding my '02 stumpy M4. put some disc brakes on a few years back (avid 5's) and am thinking of upgrading to 7's. On a similar note. I converted my Diamond Back Ascent from '87 into a SS for riding rail trail and easy single track.

COTA member
    After over a decade of single track riding, I recently converted my '98 Specialized S-Works M2 to a neighborhood cruiser (23 lbs now) ..

Helmetless Crasher
    Great bikes.

I recently took my '95 M2 Stumpy FS for a 20 mile trail ride. She had been limited to commuter duty for about a year. My modern fully bike was down for maintenance, so the Stumpy put on her knobbies again. I thought I'd be *****ing and moaning all day about not being on my other bike. To the contrary - I loved it. The limited suspension clearly has its limitations, but the frame is so stiff and responsive and the power transfer is so direct. Remembered why I always loved this bike.

'95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's my stumpy M4:

Name:  IMG_0578.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  62.9 KB

still having lots of fun on it. Also just bought a Tricross Sport for dirt roads, rail trail and single track

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    Man, this really makes me miss my old Stumpjumper and Rockhopper. Both were stolen
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

too much bike love

They came in steel too.

1995 Steel Stumpjumper

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
    Here is mine when I got it:

Then, after spending a summer: buying, fixing, and re-selling similar bikes. I took a bunch of better parts from the other bikes and swapped them onto this one. I now have this, its my commuter/road training bike. Tough and reliable.

Its actually even better now than in that pic. I have a better road saddle and semi road slick tires

I want to get a set of mustache bars for it

Just realized I actually have a hardrock... oh well, close enough
    My wife has a similar era Hardrock. They are indestructible.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I’m still making miles on my old-timer Admiral Hardtail MTB. Back in 1998 it was my first REAL mountain bike :]] After lots of miles and… long years forgotten in garage… my bike is again on trail. With me :] I will definitely never sell it. Memories are not for sale.

mtbr member
    Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336915879.991601.jpg

Very cool old stumpy

I really love this old bike...My 1996 Trek 7000....gave it new life as a singlespeed / fully rigid with eXotic fork.....the geometry on these older bikes just seem to be more lively than modern rides....and it is always fun to make my riding buddies try to keep up with me on their expensive FS rigs!!!!

My rides: 1996 Trek 7000, 2008 Giant Trance X2, 2011 Stumpjumper EVO ht, 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 3 roadie

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336915879.991601.jpg 
Views:	1285 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	696190

Very cool old stumpy

I really love this old bike...My 1996 Trek 7000....gave it new life as a singlespeed / fully rigid with eXotic fork.....the geometry on these older bikes just seem to be more lively than modern rides....and it is always fun to make my riding buddies try to keep up with me on their expensive FS rigs!!!!

My rides: 1996 Trek 7000, 2008 Giant Trance X2, 2011 Stumpjumper EVO ht, 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 3 roadie
    My old 1993 Trek 8000 is due for a new life as well, soon as my 29er is done. I think there's broken bearings in pretty much every component!

Sure love these old bikes, they are amazing workhorses.
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I miss my old team M2, some scum bag stole it from my old flat!

Great bike, had it for over 10 years

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I still have my 1991 "purple haize" M2. Its been through several iterations - spent a few years covered in tape aka urban disguise while i lived in a big city. most recently its a SS with schwalbe fat franks and a baby seat! hasn't seen a trail in about 3 years (since it got saddled with the kid seat). went SS and rigid a few years ago which to me was only fun in small doses. all this talk is making me think i should swap some knobbys on it and hit the local trails.

Thread Terrorist
    I like this thread! I was a mechanic back in the days of the first few M2's. Love them. I have the 2nd version (Barney Purple). I'll get a photo up here soon.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    My wife says I need to clear out some bikes, and I'm afraid that my 97 M2 may the one. It's in great shape and honestly didn't get much abuse. Anyone know how much I should ask for this classic bike?

banned
    Jan 2012
    I miss my SJ M2, It was the first real MTB I got, Deore LX FTW

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast