Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What type of fork is that?

mtbr member
    If you mean me, it's a Manitou 5 I think.
    What kind of bike do you have?
    A Sledgehammer.
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Right on! I bought a 1994 stumpy a few years ago for a couple hundred, intended to commute with it... then I took it on a trail and saw the light. Now I ride it probably 75% of the time, over my AM rig that cost 15 times more. It's set up rigid SS and is astonishingly fun, and surprisingly capable. These are great bikes by any measure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    One of my favorite bikes! I had a green '97 that I remember paying $1457 at Performance in Virginia. Sold it in 2000 though. What a leap up from a '92 Mongoose IBOC!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    this is funny! - A lot of love for a great bike ..... I am just now replacing my 98 stumpy M2 comp. I paid $1,300 for it and still ride it couple days a week, what a bargain, probably comes to about $1/per ride! Almost all of the bike is still stock

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Nice to see such excitement about older bikes, even if they are Specialized.
    I'm partial to old Kleins, now that they can be had for a deal sometimes. I mostly ride my 2004 Salsa, But often enough i pull out a 1989 Klein Pinnacle. I have never seen another out there. Rigid, seven speeds, canti's. It doesn't stop as fast as my disc brakes, but it STILL kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Got a bit inspired by this post and broke out my 99 Schwinn homegrown Mesa hardtail. Put some new clipless pedals on it and blasted the trails today.

Still a great bike! Thanks for the stoke.

mtbr member
    Check Vintage Retro Classic section...lots of classy bikes

mtbr member
    I love the old m2 bikes. I sold the one I used to race on to a friend many years ago but he won't sell it back to me. It was a 94 m2 rigid in flat red, it was so cool.

here are some other ones I have had along the way.

mtbr member
    this is my '93 (?) stumpy with full lx. haven't been riding it as consistently as i would want because i ride solo =/
    but its an awesome ride nonetheless! planning on switching the fork and going threadless. any recommendations?
    and also seatpost, saddle and shifters.
    im fairly new to the mtb game, but im already very passionate and eager to learn!

Last edited by creaturefear; 05-16-2011 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    my '01 stumpy was stolen from my garage last week....very bummed.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Metal matrix baby!!

I raced entire '93 season on one of those bad boys...man it was sooo light (for the 90s at least)!! Brutally stiff ride though...ouch.

Anyone have the "TEAM" model that preceded the M2..tange presige steel..yeh hooweee.. I had a purple one of those..loved it. Suntour Grease Gaurd..ha.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 07-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Time Capsule opened last week...

It seems like this is the place to post for people that know/love the M2 era from Specialized.

I have a mint condition, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2, it is all XT components including the brake levers (they re-designed them for 98), the Rock Shox Judy, the whole bike is original back to the Mavic rims and tires…

I purchased it in 2004 and thought it was brand new…that’s another story…and it has been ridden about 10 times since 2004, and never off the road….

So….anyone know someone that is looking for this retro bike?? The only downside is that it’s a 13.5 frame….

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    richboyles, maybe your local craigslist, unless there is a "market" here at MTBR.

It brought back some very fond memories looking at these older Stumpies and components like the Marzocchi XC-50(?) fork, talk about the RockShox Mag 21, the old Manitou 3, 4, 5, Shimano LX components, etc. My first Stumpy was also a very light, powdercoat blue, like the one posted herein.

I have since "upgraded" that red Manitou fork to a yellow RockShox Judy SL, the first year they started with something that was supposed to be kinda like Marzocchi's oil bath, but not quite. 80mm travel and still works like butter; from a buddy's Haro Escape A-3 that I told him in the late 1990's.

I've also been riding my '97 DBR V-Link Pro carbon fiber, which has been a blast. I need to rebuild/replace the Stratos Pro shock one day soon, but will need to go to Fox or another company as Stratos went out of business.

All fun times, gang. Maybe I'll take the M2 out today instead of the FSR Stumpy...

FSR.Dude (aka, Schwinng)
    An original MTBR "old phart"

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by ddac
    What are our choices for forks? The Manitou SX that came on the bike (99) is leaking oil pretty badly on the left leg.

I want the bike to have the same exact geometry!! I also want a fork that's just as light! I think the Manitous that came with our bikes are less than 3.5lbs. Seems like forks nowadays are in the 4 - 5lbs range.

Would you think it's better to get the Manitou SX rebuilt at the LBS? Or should I just try to find something similar and replace it (but want to keep the V brakes).

Any ideas or suggestions?

PS - how much would rebuilding the fork cost roughly?
    I picked up a Magura Duran 80mm back in December that is pretty light. Chainlove has them for around $300.00 every once in a while.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    I picked up a Magura Duran 80mm back in December that is pretty light. Chainlove has them for around $300.00 every once in a while.
    Speaking of Magura and vintage, I still have those red-hot Magura John Tomac hydraulic rim brakes! Talk about a very good design for that type of brake!
    An original MTBR "old phart"

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to have to get my od Specialized bikes back in running order. I still have my first "real" mtb 1994 Specialized hardrock fs. My father has my 96 rockhopper A1, but I can't get him to give it back to me, he just loves it soo much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by creaturefear
    this is my '93 (?) stumpy with full lx. haven't been riding it as consistently as i would want because i ride solo =/
    but its an awesome ride nonetheless! planning on switching the fork and going threadless. any recommendations?
    and also seatpost, saddle and shifters.
    im fairly new to the mtb game, but im already very passionate and eager to learn!

PM me please if you want to unload that fork!!!!! I have a 93 Marin Pine Mountain that I am trying to restore, and it has the exact same fork, color and everything, but the elastomers are blown out and melted into the tube, so i need a new one... If that one is in decant shape I would be really interested in it. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

1996 stumpy

Quote Originally Posted by richboyles View Post
    It seems like this is the place to post for people that know/love the M2 era from Specialized.

I have a mint condition, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2, it is all XT components including the brake levers (they re-designed them for 98), the Rock Shox Judy, the whole bike is original back to the Mavic rims and tires…

I purchased it in 2004 and thought it was brand new…that’s another story…and it has been ridden about 10 times since 2004, and never off the road….

So….anyone know someone that is looking for this retro bike?? The only downside is that it’s a 13.5 frame….
    I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN SEEING THIS MACHINE...CAN YOU POST UP SOME PICS
    thanks rich!!!

mtbr member
    Ho ho... our ten year old has just upgraded/grown-into a '94 Stumpy M2 with XTR, o.g. Sachs twist shifters, Avid Arch Supremes and a Manitou R7 up front. He even had me swap on the Suntour XC/Pro traps out of the parts box, since he's not yet into the clipless thing. Great old bikes live on!

mtbr member
    I decided to sell my s works m2xx, just not riding it anymore...

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I LOVE my '95 Rockhopper A1! Many times I show up to the trails with 2 bikes, one old and one new and switch off mid-day. People look at me as though I'm crazy, but sometimes I just can't decide which one to ride. I'm even proud of the original white wall tires that it sports!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-rock.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-rock_stumpy.jpg  

Last edited by Katt; 10-04-2011 at 09:51 PM.

ballbuster

Huh... interesting

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Still ride my almost stock M@. I think its a 95 or 96. I'm trying to find a new fork and some good V-brakes. The cantilevers and flexy Marz really need to go.

I think that is the exact color my wife's bike was.

I scored an S-Works stumpy off craigslist for $60... all beaten up to be damned, made ugly for urban bike use.

I stripped it down, rattle canned it and got it looking good again.... then scratched up the paint. a bit. Rattle can finish is not durable at all.

But... when stripping it down, I think I saw that as the base color.

I have since replaced the Manitou fork for a Rockshox Duke Race, reduced to 63mm of travel... about what the original fork's Axle to Crown was. I also replaced the Juliana bars with more traditional bars, and added a front Deore disc brake.

Now, if I could just get her to ride it more.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    nice to see old bikes still ryding

mtbr member
    Anybody looking to sell theirs? If so, PM me!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast