Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member

98 s works

I still have my 98 s works. I paid 1,800 for it with full xtr, and have riden it in 12 states. I don't think I will ever sell it.

dirtbag
    I have a '98 Dew Green Stumpy that was my second mt bike. I'm giving it a makeover, converting it to an all-round commuter/grocery getter bike.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    I just bought a late 80's model hardrock from the LBS for $60 after taxes, it has all original parts, such as; arraya rims, grip shifters, and cantilever breaks. I plan on repainting it, its in dire need of a paint job, and converting it to a single speed for my winter beater, I feel guilty taking my trek 6000 out in the salt and the slush.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    no front wheel lifts on climbs, in fact I was pedaling out of saddle and was still getting incredible traction up some very steep ascents.
    I think it's because they weight a ton.

mtbr member
    Sorry but a 98 is no where near vintage. 1985 maybe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jskornick
    I just bought a late 80's model hardrock from the LBS for $60 after taxes, it has all original parts, such as; arraya rims, grip shifters, and cantilever breaks. I plan on repainting it, its in dire need of a paint job, and converting it to a single speed for my winter beater, I feel guilty taking my trek 6000 out in the salt and the slush.
    LOL

mtbr member

say what

read the thread this was started with a 97 bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Whats Your opinion?

I found a StumpJumper (think) M2 at a pawn shop. It is yellow, neck bearings are loose but was thinking for the price, $100 I would buy, get tuned up, spend a little on it and ride it. I haven't rode for a long time but thought it maybe good excercise for kids and female friend. Didn't want to spend alot incase it didn't get used. Can I find replacement forks? shock absorbing style? other parts? I think it had Shimano crank set, shifting not sure if it worked properly.

an orig. MTBR "Old Phart"
    Quote Originally Posted by kccobra03
    I found a StumpJumper (think) M2 at a pawn shop. It is yellow, neck bearings are loose but was thinking for the price, $100 I would buy, get tuned up, spend a little on it and ride it. I haven't rode for a long time but thought it maybe good excercise for kids and female friend. Didn't want to spend alot incase it didn't get used. Can I find replacement forks? shock absorbing style? other parts? I think it had Shimano crank set, shifting not sure if it worked properly.
    You can buy a used M2 (around the same year as mine) on craiglist.org for about $200-$250. Finding new 80mm forks that won't cost you an arm and leg are rare these days. But, I've found some used ones on eBay for less than $100.

If the bike you found is really beat to hell, I'd look elsewhere, pay an add'l $100 and essentially get a rideable bike. Although I ride this one, I'm also keeping it around for my son to ride when he gets a little older.

Razorfish, it cracked me up when I got to the top of a hill and a bunch of 20-something year old guys were checking out my bike saying stuff like, "Yeah, his looked really bare essentials like that one (pointing to my bike)," and "Dang, man. You'd probably get all beat up on an old bike like that, huh?"

Although '98 isn't all that old, I think these guys, who all rode newer dualies, probably equated "old" or "vintage" with V-brakes, short-travel (80mm?) Manitou elastomer bumper sprunk fork, 8-speed tranny, and remember those Specialized tires (Team Master, Team Control) with white walls? Yep, my bike still has its stock Specialized tires. :-)
    carpe diem while you can ...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Still ride my almost stock M@. I think its a 95 or 96. I'm trying to find a new fork and some good V-brakes. The cantilevers and flexy Marz really need to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is my 98 S-Works. This bike recently went from retired to the neighborhood, to my go to Indiana trail bike. I almost regret buying a full suspension for riding local trails around here. The S-works climbs so much better and honestly descends almost as easy as my FS bikes just have to choose your line a bit better.

My riding buddies and I were out a month or so ago in Brown County State Park and were riding our late 90's bikes. It was pretty sweet. My S-Works, a 98 DBR Team issue (Cadel Evans ride back then), and a 96 DBR Ti. Good times!
    Brandon
    09 Santa Cruz Superlight
    00 Diamondback XR-4
    99 Specialized S-Works

mtbr member

Mine is gone

I had a Stumpjumper up until recently and that was a solid built bike for sure. Dark blue, I loved that color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub
    Still ride my almost stock M@. I think its a 95 or 96. I'm trying to find a new fork and some good V-brakes. The cantilevers and flexy Marz really need to go.

By the color, that is a '95. I still have the rigid fork in that color that was replaced by a 63mm Judy on mine in mid-95. Even after I went to an FSR, the HT was still in use, and rebuilt and upgraded countless times. I finally gave it to a friend two years ago. He still rides it regularly and swears it works as well (or better) than any of his friends fancy new hardtails

sbc
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bought my Specialized Hardrock Comp at REI back in the summer of 96. It was my first "real" mountain bike. Upgraded it through the years, most significant of which was a Rockshock (stock HR only came with a ridgid fork). Been riding this bike almost every weekend when weather permits. Fast forward 14 years later and it is still used almost daily, the past couple of years being used daily as a towing rig for a bike trailer / bike train (bike trailer plus a trail-a-bike). This bike has been absolutely bullet proof - I am even on the original tires still! The only minor issue I have is the Shimano Quick fire shifter stick a little bit on the front derailleur.

Every time I visit the LBS or see someone on the trail with something flashy I am tempted to get something newer (disc brakes, better front suspension, lighter, sportier). But then I think back to all the good times and memories I had with the Hardrock and the thought just goes away. If only everything else in life was as perfect.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Only pic I can find of Hubby's classic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

At Work
    Buddy of mine bought one of the original SWorks Black M2's. Not to long after that he kinda stopped riding it, He worked for the University Police Department while he was in grad school and used his bike to patrol with. I had told him if he ever sold it that I wanted Dibs. Years later I ran into him and asked him if he still had it, "Nope, sold it to Presley"...........WTF..........

That was a wicked bike and road great.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    I remember seeing two of those fold in '96 in the same race in expert class. crack in half top and down tubes!
    always face the herd

PRETENDURO
    Wow, I never had any idea that the year 1997 could be associated with the term “vintage”. Makes me long to go out and ride my 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, so I could properly use the term “vintage” without sounding luck a schmuck.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I just got a '97 Stumpjumper Pro to go with my other Specialized stuff. I just got a couple brief rides on it, but it's awesome! I've got some green Ourys at the bike shop and some other stuff for it on the way. Right now I'm trying to decide what to do about the fork (servicing and upgrade options), but I wouldn't mind keeping the V-brakes.

1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What are our choices for forks? The Manitou SX that came on the bike (99) is leaking oil pretty badly on the left leg.

I want the bike to have the same exact geometry!! I also want a fork that's just as light! I think the Manitous that came with our bikes are less than 3.5lbs. Seems like forks nowadays are in the 4 - 5lbs range.

Would you think it's better to get the Manitou SX rebuilt at the LBS? Or should I just try to find something similar and replace it (but want to keep the V brakes).

Any ideas or suggestions?

PS - how much would rebuilding the fork cost roughly?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It shouldn't cost more than a hundred bucks to replace the seals and change the oil on your current fork. Look for an 80mm fork, There are quite a few lightweight xc forks with posts for V brakes, You might want to run a disc in the front especially if you are doing a fair amount of descents.

It's about showing up.
    I had this frame and my son and I made it into an SS for around town, later using a SID for weight. It evolved into his racer which slowly acquired carbon bits, XTR, custom DT/Chris King wheels, and a nice shock. He raced it for a season. Even he said it was stiff but it was defintely a worthy frame.

I built him a Yeti Arc for racing which was more supple. The M2, though, has always been a favorite and he built it up, himself this time, into an SS for around town.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-b7308.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-c10109.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-d11309.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-e1109.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-fgbll42609868.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-g1109race.jpg  

Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-hm232311.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had a Stumpjumper just like the original poster, only red. That thing was super stiff, even to the teenager I was back then. But man did it handle awesome! I still remember how I could rail that thing. After probably 6 years, the chainstay cracked. Then I got an M4 S-works, which was also pretty damn fast, but I ripped the derailleur hanger off that. This thread reminds me of how much I used to love Specialized... maybe it's time to revisit them.

mtbr member
    My first real mountain bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man, I love my vintage Specialized Stumpjumper M2!-photo034.jpg  

Last edited by soontobe29er; 05-12-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    What kind of bike do you have?
    A Sledgehammer.
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast