mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lubbock Trail "Eco-Vigilante" Caught

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah my dad emailed me this story last night. I've ridden thoes trails a few times, and was fortuanate enough not to be taken out by this bastage. What a twisted individual.

Hairy man
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Has with most crime, I can find no win here. Other than hopefully the spree ends.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Crap, I can't believe people do this! I'm surprised the rider who caught the guy didn't just do him right then and there. Would be hard to restrain myself if it was me. I hit some traps once, at a DH ski resort no less, and I was steaming about it for days after. jeez I'm getting angry just thinking about it

Does this qualify as a hate crime? They should try and make that stick, as well as the assault charges, this trail Nazi guy needs to go away for good.

Glad to Be Alive
    We were not out to beat him up or kill him. We just wanted him to stop."

man I would have punished him bad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I had folks put traps up where I used to jog as a teenager. I don't think it was any eco-terror thing, though.. probably just snotty kids. It was in a residential area with enough easements and such that people had turned the spaces into jogging/biking/dog walk trails. I hit a span of fishing string once... snapped and whipped a nice cut into my cheek. Another time someone had set short nails with wide, flat heads in a line and buried them in the dirt. I guess they were expecting bikers to only come through the area, but I stepped on one. I just got very lucky that the nail jabbed between my first and second toe and didn't actually go into my foot.

god complex
    I am an eco-vigilante. I ride my bike instead of driving a car, and built my house from sustainable lumber and utilize full solar equip. ...but I would hang this guy by his own wires if I caught him. That's some restraint on behalf of the MTBer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow. That sounds like a monkey stompin' for this guy.

-Rob
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    I'm so mad now! Packin for a road trip to Texas...
    If I caught him, I think I might've flipped my lid...intentionally hurting someone is so heinous...I might have castrated him with his own piano wire or better yet, snap his cojones in a bear trap!
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree with Horus. I'm extremely environmentally concious... and I like to mountain bike. Any argument against mountain-bikes not being ecologically sound has long ago lost it's momentum. Stay on the trail. Don't litter. Take a look around and appreciate the scenery every once in a while and you're good. This guy did more damage with broken glass and wire than a rubber tire ever could.

yog-sothoth
    so let me get this right... in an attempt to "protect" nature/the environment, this guy deliberately littered?

what a tool. this guy deserves whatever punishment he gets.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

"Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

Samsonite Tester
    He just wanted to protect the enviroment? Shouldn't he have been disabling cars?

Next excuse , and make it a good one this tme.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    He is a criminal...plain and simple. Any attempts to justify/rationalize his actions are worthless.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Remember that scene in Resident Evil where the guy is going through the hallway only to have both end doors lock down on him and then a laser net forms and he's sliced to small diamonds? I betcha' with all the wire he had I could have rigged something like that up! (and they say tv/movies don't incite violence =] )

mtbr member
    Most Earth-loving eco-defenders - no matter how militant - usually don't engage in activities that will cause harm to people....
    Last edited by ICanDigIt; 02-05-2007 at 08:00 PM.
    [SIZE=5]
    Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...
    [/SIZE]

clyde in training
    rally the troops, get you pitchforks and torches.

Brackish
    Best just to prosecute him, though. Most people with that motivation are violent and hateful by nature, but seem to have convinced themselves otherwise. So they find an excuse, like nature conservation, to justify doing what they wanted to do anyway: hurt other people. Getting violent with them just perpetuates violence, and a certain stereotype of riders.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    That guy was a little too close to nature... what a nut.. I'm just really glad no one was killed...

I think that would qualify as a hate crime in some way..
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

The former Blue 'Goose

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Hm..

He's very lucky no-one was killed by his idiocy - just the same they need to
    set an example that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

It's still amazing no-one was sent to the hospital by the way of his actions.

Throw the book at him.

Bearlike

Similiar Situation

Here in crazy ole' New Mexico.

We had a guy setting traps on the trails near Placitas, New Mexico, which is just northeast of Albuquerque. He was caught, tried, and sentenced.

http://www.kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewe...794&cat=SEARCH
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey