Des(s)ert Rat

Long boring race report... 18 hours of Fruita

Yep, I survived. You'll have to bear with me and my horrible typing, I'm not back up to 100%.

The Damsels in De-streSS did well. We won our catagory, in fact the competition was so scared they didn't even show up! OK, truth be known, we were the only women crazy enough to do a duo team. But that's OK we weren't out to be hardcore and compete, we wanted to have fun and see what we could do on our singlespeeds. The fact that there weren't any other teams in our catagory just solidified why we were there. ALthough, we did decide to see if we could beat at least one of the other females teams of four or six.

We broke up the 18 hours in a reasonable way. The race started at midnight, giving us 6 hours of nightriding, so I took the first 3 hours and she took the second three hours. Then we switched off every 2 hours.

Before the race we tried to nap and eat, but I was pretty unsuccessful with either objective. Anne saw me off at the starting line after we did a little victory dance (hey, we had this one in the bag, no one else was in our class!).

The race began with a cyclocross start, meaning I had to run. I used to run a lot, but my legs have forgotten how and the even the short 30 yard sprint sent my lungs and legs into rebellion. "What a wuss!" I thought. I hopped on the bike and began to pedal, letting most of the other racers pass me, knowing they were all leaving the gate wicked fast and I wasn't about to blow myself up. Well, I got sucked into it and started increasing my speed a bit more and more, letting my legs and lungs burn. I was working hard and cruising of the fast singletrack when I heard "CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!" I knew exactly what it was, it happened the night that we prerode the course earlier in the week. My battery for the headlight had fallen off and was hanging by the cord, banging against my bike frame. I stopped and wrapped it back up in the velcro strap. During that time a few racers passed me then I hopped back on and got going again. I made it throught the rest of that lap without incident but the second lap had the familiar noise again. Again I stopped and fixed the strap and again it came undone. I tried one last time to fix the strap that lap but it just wouldn't stay, so I wrapped the cord around the frame and kept going. I would occassionally unravel and I would have to reach down and wrap it up again, but I could do this without stopping. I think it was during the third lap that I witnessed the brutal murder of a poor little gerbil/kangaroo rat thing. The guy ahead of me ran it over. Poor thing, I would see the body each following lap. Shortly after the murder my chain came off and I had to stop to put it back on. By the end of lap four I was pretty beat, but I wanted to get in 2 more during my 3 hour shift. I ended up only getting in 5 laps, as Anne was waiting for me at 2:45.

I crawled back into the sleeping bag and shivered to sleep.

At 5:20 the alarm went off and I had to make myself eat a bannana and put my clothes on and be at the exchange area at 5:45. I felt horrid riding to the starting line and my stomach wanted to eject all of its contents. I met Anne as she came through the start finish and told her that I might only make 3 laps in my two hour shift. I was well aware that 4 laps was my goal, but I didn't know if I had it in me. About one mile into the ride I felt much better and stronger. On the far side of the course there were some horrific cowprints and I think that some evil bovine fairies added more while I was sleeping. At least I could see the enemy in the light and try to take a less bumpy line. The second lap seemed to just fly under my wheels and before I knew it I was on my fourth lap. I had made the goal!

My 10:00 to 12:00 shift was pretty uneventful. Everything went smoothly and my legs still felt pretty good; too bad my shoulders felt like they were going to blow up. During the last hill climb on my last lap of that shift the crew (OTE and friends) were sitting on the couch (yes, they pulled a couch out onto the course) and told me I had a chocolate malt waiting for me. I told them not to tease me like that but they assured me it was true and that Mynette had brought me the malt. With the thought of the malt I stepped it up a notch and sped to the finish line. A chocolate malt never tasted so good! Thanks Myn!

At the end of Anne's 12:00-2:00 shift she said she was hurting and wasn't sure if she could put in another four laps next time out. I pondered that as I left for my 2:00-4:00 shift. My legs were compaining a bit, but by the time I warmed up I knew that I was going to get in four laps again. I made sure that I left enough time for Anne to get in four laps. I knew she would, she's tough and determined. And she did.

We ended up beating all of the other women's teams except for the 6 person college racing team (I'm probably twice as old as their freshmen members). I rode 88.4 miles in my 9 hours and Anne rode 93.6 miles in her 9 hours (she made 6 laps during her night shift). Our combined laps were 35 for a total of 182 miles.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Shortly after the murder
    Sounds more like mouseslaughter than murder to me....

Our combined laps were 35 for a total of 182 miles.
    Damn. Impressive.

beer thief
    Way to go, Sarah! You gals pushed yourselves pretty hard without really needing to do so. That's quite impressive to me, as a lot of people would have sat back and drank tequila for a while. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Somebody needs to post some pics of/for you.

Des(s)ert Rat
    The only pictures of us I know of are in this post. Thanks to Anne Keller (grannyannie) for taking them.

Mythical Creature
    We ended up beating all of the other women's teams except for the 6 person college racing team (I'm probably twice as old as their freshmen members). I rode 88.4 miles in my 9 hours and Anne rode 93.6 miles in her 9 hours (she made 6 laps during her night shift). Our combined laps were 35 for a total of 182 miles.
    Nice work! Wish I could have been there, seems like it was a fun event.

35 laps - sounds like it was FAST! 5.2 mile laps..? Yeesh. Makes me dizzy thinking about it!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

i worship Mr T
    sar, you are a total & complete studette!! sorry i couldn't be there to take my turns, but given my recent performances i don't know how much help i'd have been. next year, i promise!!

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    You rode how many miles? Holy sh*te. Its a good thing you and I are married or I'd have to propose

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Having just finished my first race on a singlespeed and my first race period in 11 years I can honestly say that people like you blow my mind. I couldn't imagine 80 miles of this in a week much less a day... kudos to you.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    ...Its a good thing you and I are married or I'd have to propose
    Lee, when did you & Sarah get married?! Do Sharon and Troy & Tony know?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, way to go Sarah! 88 miles on a rigid singlespeed. eeash.

Thanks for everything during our visit. It was awesome to ride and hang out with you. Too bad that we couldn't ride with troy, but there is always a next time.

Talk to ya soon!

Horsey

Shaman
    Apr 2004

Kick Ass! (in Catman's voice), can I say ass here?

Way to go Sarah! I was in bed well before the race started. starting a race at midnight takes guts and dedication. Have you recovered yet?
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by radiar
    Lee, when did you & Sarah get married?!
    Wow! That's news to me. Funny what you find out about yourself through a stalker...

Des(s)ert Rat
    Thanks, Gene. I need more ice cream and coffee to fully recover. In fact I'll be heading out for the coffee pretty soon.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Hey Horsey! One of the most "mushy" moments of the weekend was when Danielle presented me with a candy necklace "medal" for first place. In my sleep deprived state it was impossible to hold all the gushy little tears back.

Des(s)ert Rat
    It was definitely a fun event. Not a single bit of attitude out on the course. Everyone was so friendly and nice. Maybe it was because the loop was short, you kept seeing the same people and even if you didn't learn their name you would recognize them. Kept it fun and personal. Although, what do I know, the only other endurance race I've done like that was the 24 Hours of Moab in '99.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Sounds more like mouseslaughter than murder to me....
    Still a horrible crime to witness.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Wow! That's news to me. Funny what you find out about yourself through a stalker...
    oops that came out all wrong. Sorry troy !!!